Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
EnGee
KVRAF

3860 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:04 pm Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I'm learning NI Massive now by reading the manual and practicing. I really love Massive! It is a fantastic synth and can be the only one I use! Between it and any other wavetable synth, Massive is the winner for me (Well, besides Dune 2 :D ) It is not easy to master and most of the tutorials are dubstep based (which I really don't like). Anyway, I think the manual is enough for me.

Unlike many users, I like a lot the default presets that come with Massive (most of them!). I will try to analyse some of them as part of my learning of course.

What are you learning now? How do you find the synth you are learning? Tell me about your experience with it :)
i5 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
Cubase Pro 9, S1v3.5 Pro, Notion 6, FLS Producer 12.5, Reaper 5, and some soft synths and effects.
Wyndless
KVRer

12 posts since 30 Dec, 2016

Postby Wyndless; Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Air Hybrid 3
Got it with a APC 25 I got for Christmas and I was plesently suprised to find out how powerful it was. It really for me has become a bread and butter synth for just expeirementing and playing around with Synthesis :D
wagtunes
KVRAF

8427 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I'm constantly learning new synths, obviously because of what I do. Fortunately, it doesn't take me long. Only synth to defeat me so far has been Cycle, mostly because it was so buggy that I gave up trying to learn it. But that doesn't take away from its oddball interface and way of programming. It boggles my mind. Same with Aalto and Kaivo or whatever their names are. After demoing, I said, "Nope, not for me." I like interfaces from outer space but those two were just too much for even me.

Right now, I'm learning Lush-101 and Hive. Very different synths. I find Lush incredibly flexible. Hive, not as much. But I don't think it was meant to be. I think the idea behind it was to be something simple enough for most people to grok easily and I get that. Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying programming it and I love the drag and drop modulations. The FX, not so thrilled with but few synths have killer FX anyway so I'm not overly disappointed by this.

Every month it's at least 2 new synths to learn and I love it. Been on this pace now for over 3 years and have no plans to stop until I run out of synths to play with.

My most fun synths to learn so far?

Softube Modular
MUX Modular
KarmaFX Modular
Bazille
Omnisphere
Falcon
foosnark
KVRAF

3935 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Reading up on Buchla and West Coast synthesis in general, and Buchla-inspired modern modules.
Bodhisan
KVRist

275 posts since 7 Aug, 2015, from Fool's Gold

Postby Bodhisan; Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Diva (which I've had over a year) has become precious to me with its vast array of ease to create beautiful stock and not-so-stock sounds. Just rewatched a u-he tutorial using the second glide...crikey!
deastman
KVRAF

6332 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:02 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I've just started learning P900 and Logic. I'm finally making use of my "new" MacBook Pro which has been sitting here untouched for the past seven months. That's an adjustment in itself, as I've been almost exclusively on Windows for about ten years now. But as far as P900 goes, it is all pretty familiar to me, and I'm more learning the quirks of the interface rather than how to use a Moog modular.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
layzer
KVRAF

4487 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:30 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

atm, having fun with Surge, yeah..... wayyyy late to the party :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Saukar30
KVRian

871 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Postby Saukar30; Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Synthmaster One
egbert101
KVRian

946 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I'm constantly switching and learning between around a dozen synths. I don't think I've mastered a single synth yet.
ErikH
KVRist

443 posts since 16 May, 2012, from Antwerp

Postby ErikH; Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:00 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Madronalabs Aalto and U-He Bazille
I think I know I mean err... "Yes" but it's all wrong... that is I think I disagree...
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2357 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:04 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I need to finally tackle Vacuum Pro. I've got it for about 7 months now but didn't make any track on it yet :x .
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
TheCatBurglar
KVRist

107 posts since 8 Mar, 2017, from Kathmandu

Postby TheCatBurglar; Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

egbert101 wrote:I'm constantly switching and learning between around a dozen synths. I don't think I've mastered a single synth yet.

About the same as this - then I start complaining that I am unable to create the sounds that I want.

...maybe I should stick to one and try 'master' that before I keep dicking about with other stuff. I come from a creative production background so generally reach tools that I know will work, rather than bush the boundaries of just a few tools that I know really well. Time to get some discipline methinks! :scared:
Feed The Paw
ThePresent
KVRist

336 posts since 17 Dec, 2013, from The Netherlands

Postby ThePresent; Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:44 pm Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

Obxd (again, and free bank coming soon) and Synthmaster One
Ingonator
KVRAF

11344 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:03 am Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

I had done sound design with a lot of synths but at the moment it's mostly Tone2 Icarus, Synapse Audio The Legend, Synthmaster One, Avenger and my hardware Novation Ultranova.
I got it since around 18 months but I ignored the UltraNova for sound design purposes for a while even if the synth engine is very vesatile and powerful and it sounds great indeed.
If i would not be distracted by so many other synths (especially plugins) i am sure i would use the UltraNova for creating my own much more. Programing it from hardware works quite nicely and the VST editor is very nice too.

Concerning Synthmaster One the fact that opposing to the "big" Synthmaster it could load custom WAV wavetables is real fun. I could use the wavetables from Icarus without further conversion. I just have to copy them to the right folder.
Icarus has almost endless options for sound design and it will take ages until you learned everything that is possible with it. Same is also true for e.g. Avenger which could also import the wavetables from Icarus (with the "Resample" feature for the wavetables).

With The Legend i alraedy made tons of patches (most posted for free in the Soundware forum or included in teh factory content) but there are still many more possible. While the amount of features is limited you could still get lots of sounds from it, also using the advanced features like e.g. polyphony and Bandpass filters. The overall sound of The Legend is really outstanding IMO and i was always a fan of the Minimoog sound. I also got Repro-1 but have only created very few patches with it yet.
Ingo Weidner - Sound Design
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 2
EnGee
KVRAF

3860 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53 am Re: Which synth you are learning or sound designing for now?

TheCatBurglar wrote:
egbert101 wrote:I'm constantly switching and learning between around a dozen synths. I don't think I've mastered a single synth yet.

About the same as this - then I start complaining that I am unable to create the sounds that I want.

...maybe I should stick to one and try 'master' that before I keep dicking about with other stuff. I come from a creative production background so generally reach tools that I know will work, rather than bush the boundaries of just a few tools that I know really well. Time to get some discipline methinks! :scared:

Exactly! :lol:
That's the main reason for starting this thread! :o I will update the thread when I finish Massive and start with another synth :D

Anyway, what I did is I had started a project in my host and called it "Massive Case Study", which I load only Massive inside, no other synth allowed! :hihi:

@all:
It's very nice to read your experiences with the different synths (soft or hard) :)

It is always when I begin to concentrate on one synth, I look at the list of other synths and say "Do I need all these!?". I know the answer, but I'm not listening :singer:
i5 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
Cubase Pro 9, S1v3.5 Pro, Notion 6, FLS Producer 12.5, Reaper 5, and some soft synths and effects.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments