One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

doctorbob wrote:
sfiks wrote: ...But, according to the rules, "Cover tracks are not permitted." :roll:
Excellent work. :clap:
Thank you for finding time to listen.
doctorbob wrote: I'm sure Dmitri would have been impressed. :tu: I met him once at a premiere of one his works. A quite unassuming man, quite humble in fact. But, what a composer!!!

Just shows that you don't *have* to have the most expensive, all singing, all dancing synth to make great tracks. If only we could all compose like that though ... sigh ... :roll:

dB
Just a thought about composing and "covers".

When you orchestrate somebody's work, you learn how it's done. You try to understand why it was done this way and later apply that knowledge in your own music (often subconsciously).

If "covers" were permitted, somebody could take MIDI file and concentrate on producing music using a particular synthesizer putting composing aside.

zerofox97 wrote:This will be my only entry for this month.
So, are we allowed to enter more then one tune? That is, another track using a different synth?

If so, I have 5 days to get on with it ...

db

Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/saanno ... c98-zebra2

Ableton Live 9 - 35 Instances of Zebra2

Effects:

DAW: EQ8, Compressor, Saturator, AutoPan, AutoFilter, Redux, Overdrive, Glue Compressor, Convolution Reverb

3rd Party: Soundtoys EchoBoy, Soundtoys Decapitator, FF Pro-Q, FF Pro-C , FF Pro-L, Valhalla Room, FF Saturn, FF Timeless2 (FF = FabFilter)

My first entry here :)

Using Reaper as my DAW
58x Xfer Serum
with some effects :
ReaEQ
ReaComp
Serum FX
Waves OK Pumper
Waves Deesser
Waves RenAxx
Clipshifter 2
Sknote Soundbrigade
NI Enhanced EQ
TB Barricade
TDR Kotelnikov

I am new in sound design and electro music production. So I really need inputs and comments.
Please enjoy it! :)

https://soundcloud.com/inhim-production ... -mix-osc98

God bless

Aditya.inHim wrote: I am new in sound design and electro music production. So I really need inputs and comments.
Great entry! I think it sounds a little bit muddy, so maybe you should try some eq on low mids.
Anyway your track is cool!

I would like to see someone make a beast dubstep track with FM8 or Zebra. Something that would rival the sounds possible with serum.. (And I know each plugin utilized a different kind of synthesis but FM synthesis is very flexible when given the right effects to boost the sound)

phace wrote:I would like to see someone make a beast dubstep track with FM8 or Zebra. Something that would rival the sounds possible with serum.. (And I know each plugin utilized a different kind of synthesis but FM synthesis is very flexible when given the right effects to boost the sound)
Are you saying that it is not as easy to make a dubstep track with FM8 or Zebra? Too be honest, I've heard a ton of dubstep tracks made with both that are awesome. Both of those synths are capable of anything, maybe even more so than Serum. Go listen to some old Skrillex. He primarily uses FM8 for most of his stuff and then distortion.
ZR

Aditya.inHim wrote:My first entry here :)

Using Reaper as my DAW
58x Xfer Serum
with some effects :
ReaEQ
ReaComp
Serum FX
Waves OK Pumper
Waves Deesser
Waves RenAxx
Clipshifter 2
Sknote Soundbrigade
NI Enhanced EQ
TB Barricade
TDR Kotelnikov

I am new in sound design and electro music production. So I really need inputs and comments.

God bless
Hey! Bangin track! A couple of things, SIDECHAIN, SIDECHAIN, SIDECHAIN. Especially on the kick. For a genre like this you need to make sure that your kick is hitting through the mix. That happens through sidechain and also having frequencies in the kick fully represented down to the very low end too. Also, this isn't really about synth use or anything like that, but in terms of general song form, yours is just a little bit all over the place. Most tracks need to have some sort of form. Go listen to some very popular EDM dance tracks, I love to listen to Virtual Riot, and try and emulate their song forms, at least at first, then adapt yours to fit what you like. And also when I mean form, I mean general key structure and even chord structure as well. Overall though, your track sounds great. Keep up the work!!
ZR

sfiks wrote:
doctorbob wrote:
sfiks wrote: ...But, according to the rules, "Cover tracks are not permitted." :roll:
Excellent work. :clap:
Thank you for finding time to listen.
doctorbob wrote: I'm sure Dmitri would have been impressed. :tu: I met him once at a premiere of one his works. A quite unassuming man, quite humble in fact. But, what a composer!!!

Just shows that you don't *have* to have the most expensive, all singing, all dancing synth to make great tracks. If only we could all compose like that though ... sigh ... :roll:

dB
Just a thought about composing and "covers".

When you orchestrate somebody's work, you learn how it's done. You try to understand why it was done this way and later apply that knowledge in your own music (often subconsciously).

If "covers" were permitted, somebody could take MIDI file and concentrate on producing music using a particular synthesizer putting composing aside.
This is a great point!!
ZR

For any one having a licence for the Waldorf PPG 2.2v or 3v here is a bank for the sounds used in my entry.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/waldorf ... /downloads
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Zero Ring wrote:
phace wrote:I would like to see someone make a beast dubstep track with FM8 or Zebra. Something that would rival the sounds possible with serum.. (And I know each plugin utilized a different kind of synthesis but FM synthesis is very flexible when given the right effects to boost the sound)
Are you saying that it is not as easy to make a dubstep track with FM8 or Zebra? Too be honest, I've heard a ton of dubstep tracks made with both that are awesome. Both of those synths are capable of anything, maybe even more so than Serum. Go listen to some old Skrillex. He primarily uses FM8 for most of his stuff and then distortion.
well I do think it is difficult to get "track ready" sounds going with FM8 and mixer chains, It's just that fm synthesis is pretty tricky (in my opinion). I'm not much of a wizard with mixer chains for dubstep sounds so it might be less difficult than I think

phace wrote:
Zero Ring wrote:
well I do think it is difficult to get "track ready" sounds going with FM8 and mixer chains, It's just that fm synthesis is pretty tricky (in my opinion). I'm not much of a wizard with mixer chains for dubstep sounds so it might be less difficult than I think
Hmmmm. I think FM8 is a Dubstep power house. By all means don't reference any of the presets in the synth and make your judgement. Go online to YouTube and checkout some Dubstep bass tutorials to see what FM8 can actually do. Fm synthesis is pretty tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it'll eventually become your go to for Dubstep sounds.
ZR

Hi,

New member (and a long-time lurker) here. I am no music expert, but like all of you, I am very passionate about it. I have found some really great entries in these pages which inspired me to take the plunge. Here is my entry for OSC #98, a simple down-tempo dance track with some elements of 90’s scene.

https://soundcloud.com/baalisoda/baalis ... -in-heaven

Following is the list of tools that I’ve used,

DAW – FL Studio 12

SoftSynth – Ichiro Toda’s Synth1 (x13)

Native Plugin – Fruity Limiter (x1)

Third party Plugins – Free (multiple Instances)
A1Stereo Control (x6), BaxterEQ (x2), BootEQmkII (x2), Classic Delay (x2), DensityMKIII (x1), EpicVerb (x2), FerricTDS (x2), NastyDLAmkII (x1), NastyVCS(x1), Nova67P (x3), Proximity (x3), ThrillseekerLA (x1), ThrillseekerXTC Blue (x2), TP Basslane(x1), Yohng's W1 Limiter (x1).

Third Party Plugin – Paid
Eventide – Blackhole (x1)

I wholeheartedly welcome/appreciate your valuable feedback on this attempt of mine.

Cheers!
Last edited by baalisoda on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

asi4 wrote:
Aditya.inHim wrote: I am new in sound design and electro music production. So I really need inputs and comments.
Great entry! I think it sounds a little bit muddy, so maybe you should try some eq on low mids.
Anyway your track is cool!
Thank you for listening and your input. Honestly I do not have much time for mixing process because of works. But no excuse, I need learn more.

God bless

Zero Ring wrote:
Aditya.inHim wrote:My first entry here :)

Using Reaper as my DAW
58x Xfer Serum
with some effects :
ReaEQ
ReaComp
Serum FX
Waves OK Pumper
Waves Deesser
Waves RenAxx
Clipshifter 2
Sknote Soundbrigade
NI Enhanced EQ
TB Barricade
TDR Kotelnikov

God bless
Hey! Bangin track! A couple of things, SIDECHAIN, SIDECHAIN, SIDECHAIN. Especially on the kick. For a genre like this you need to make sure that your kick is hitting through the mix. That happens through sidechain and also having frequencies in the kick fully represented down to the very low end too. Also, this isn't really about synth use or anything like that, but in terms of general song form, yours is just a little bit all over the place. Most tracks need to have some sort of form. Go listen to some very popular EDM dance tracks, I love to listen to Virtual Riot, and try and emulate their song forms, at least at first, then adapt yours to fit what you like. And also when I mean form, I mean general key structure and even chord structure as well. Overall though, your track sounds great. Keep up the work!!
Wohoo.. Noted.
Yeah I think you're right. The kick is not to stab in the mix. I already sideshaining kick to some synth, but maybe I am not to brave to do it.
Thank you for your guide. LOVE IT.
Very helpful :) I'll try it!

God bless

Return to “Instruments”