Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
zarf
KVRist

151 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Postby zarf; Thu May 18, 2017 11:35 am Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

tasty tatsyn wrote:**[fictional with or without reality base]** "hmmmm i post coments and say nice things then give the dude a 2 because....." (only he/she knows) _and_ stuff_ like_ that_....

I'm going to choose to not ignore my feeling that I want to respond to that.... :D

It is possible that I might do something like what you describe - and I feel like explaining why - because I don't think I'm being 'political' or anything like that...

I listen to a track. Say there are things about it I don't like. It's not like I am some master musician producing totally amazing music all the time - so - I listen for what I appreciate. I want to be encouraging and supportive. Someone has made this music and put it out there and in this challenge I have the opportunity to give them feedback. So I will often try to find a positive aspect of the track and be constructive in my comments.

I am in no way doing this 'politically' or to make them give me a higher score or any of that stuff! I want to focus on what is good and encourage everyone who is making the effort to make a track!

And then, yes - I might give them a score of 2. Because, in my opinion, it wasn't as good as the tracks I gave a 3, which weren't as good as the tracks I gave a 4, which didn't grab me as much as the tracks I gave a 5. In no way does this contradict my comment, imho.

It is a good question that maybe if I'm giving a 2 (or whatever) I could say what it is I don't like or what I think the problem is in a comment too. I try to do that sometimes, but on the whole I'm not confident enough in my own skills to go around giving out too much advice to others!

Does anyone think it is not right to give positive comments and a low score?
wagtunes
KVRAF

7560 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

tasty tatsyn wrote:i don't want to sound like i'm pissed because im not but i still want to say this and i'm choosing not to ignore it ;)

This voting unfortunatly feels a bit like politics and this is why i'm posting, this can't be generalized but feels like some people think like this....
so my toughts.....

it a bit silly, funny or sad people give all these comments and then vote like they do...like....

**[fictional with or without reality base]** "hmmmm i post coments and say nice things then give the dude a 2 because....." (only he/she knows) _and_ stuff_ like_ that_....

i don't really give a "#%"#& to where i placed i just tried to do the best i could with a synth i liked. Period.

congrats to the winners and everyone that participated... i just wish this world was less pettyfull......

now back to music ;)

Believe me, I know where you're coming from. You should see some of the comments made on my Soundcloud page over the months of doing these. You'd never suspect that I almost always finish near the bottom.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

zarf wrote:
tasty tatsyn wrote:**[fictional with or without reality base]** "hmmmm i post coments and say nice things then give the dude a 2 because....." (only he/she knows) _and_ stuff_ like_ that_....

I'm going to choose to not ignore my feeling that I want to respond to that.... :D

It is possible that I might do something like what you describe - and I feel like explaining why - because I don't think I'm being 'political' or anything like that...

I listen to a track. Say there are things about it I don't like. It's not like I am some master musician producing totally amazing music all the time - so - I listen for what I appreciate. I want to be encouraging and supportive. Someone has made this music and put it out there and in this challenge I have the opportunity to give them feedback. So I will often try to find a positive aspect of the track and be constructive in my comments.

I am in no way doing this 'politically' or to make them give me a higher score or any of that stuff! I want to focus on what is good and encourage everyone who is making the effort to make a track!

And then, yes - I might give them a score of 2. Because, in my opinion, it wasn't as good as the tracks I gave a 3, which weren't as good as the tracks I gave a 4, which didn't grab me as much as the tracks I gave a 5. In no way does this contradict my comment, imho.

It is a good question that maybe if I'm giving a 2 (or whatever) I could say what it is I don't like or what I think the problem is in a comment too. I try to do that sometimes, but on the whole I'm not confident enough in my own skills to go around giving out too much advice to others!

Does anyone think it is not right to give positive comments and a low score?

Yeah, it's not right. Because it leaves the person confused as f**k.

"Hey man, your best tune yet."

Score - 2

"Hey man, really loved listening to this."

Score - 2

"Really catchy tune. Sounds so 70s. Great job!"

Score - 2

I'd rather they came to my Soundcloud page and posted this...

"Man, you really suck at this. You really shouldn't enter these anymore because you're never going to do well until you improve your mixes, sounds, whatever."

So yeah, to me it's politically correct bullshit.
zarf
KVRist

Postby zarf; Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

wagtunes wrote:So yeah, to me it's politically correct bullshit.

Wow :) Being encouraging and focusing on the positive = PC bullshit!
I respectfully disagree.

If I genuinely like some or all of a track, then not saying so would be silly, imo.

But just because I like it, doesn't mean that it is anywhere near as good as the many tracks that I like even more and I score higher.

Giving a track a higher score than it deserves, just because I appreciate it and have something good to say about it - now, imo - that would be bullshit!
nickamandote
KVRist

366 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Postby nickamandote; Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

We should do a second ranking based on comments....We will all be winners! :D
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

zarf wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So yeah, to me it's politically correct bullshit.

Wow :) Being encouraging and focusing on the positive = PC bullshit!
I respectfully disagree.

If I genuinely like some or all of a track, then not saying so would be silly, imo.

But just because I like it, doesn't mean that it is anywhere near as good as the many tracks that I like even more and I score higher.

Giving a track a higher score than it deserves, just because I appreciate it and have something good to say about it - now, imo - that would be bullshit!

Just be honest for crying out loud.

"Nice melody and arrangement but the sounds and mix are weak next to the rest of the field. You need to work on those areas."

How hard is that?
zarf
KVRist

Postby zarf; Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

Sure, that makes sense. Like I said, I do try to do that. But giving a positive comment - so long as it is genuine - is not dishonest.
Medniex
KVRer

10 posts since 16 Apr, 2017, from Rīga

Postby Medniex; Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

I also think it's completely fine to give a positive comment in SC and give a low rating. I think SC is for listening and sharing music and all that professional criticism can be done here in forum because none cares about those geeky details outside of this forum.

The same with current voting system - I think it's awesome. Because everyone can get a rating. I mean with other voting system I wouldn't have any rating feedback at all. It's also relatively safe from trolling. I mean does someone is really offended by that row of "1"? Seriously? It's his choice to be not generous and you can make your own revenge at him in the next round if you want that so much.
KO :ud:
Taron
KVRAF

1606 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

I tend to be rather honest, which has giving me a virtually bleeding nose more than once, hahaha! :box: ...but I have to say, if I'm completely honest, it goes on my nerves as well, when I see people writing compliment under tracks that really, really need some advice instead!
Here I go, listening to something I find almost unbearable, trying to see what the nature of hope might be, some redeeming factors. And when I find them, I see this as a reason to provide the "best possible advice" that comes to my mind. This may just be some humorous remark (which probably only I find funny :oops: ) with which I am hoping to provide some inspiration, or this could be flat out feedback that can even be harsh at times. I'm still a little ashamed about that one time, when my nerves were literally blank already and this completely unnerving track tore through my brains and I couldn't help myself, saying that I kind of hate it, hahaha....ha...argh. That was kind of uncalled for, I agree and still feel a bit raw about it.

Anyway, tangents again...so, I want to write something that more or less clearly states that there's a problem and one "happy" comment after the other is around mine... it just feels weird.

Long live a proper American sandwich: GREAT IDEA, very sloppy doodle, BUT PLENTY OF POTENTIAL! :D

Then there are those tracks that have real greatness in them, but the mix weakens them terribly. So then I sometimes forget or fail to mention that I recognize the greatness as it- at this point- should be clear. I've had this time around another nice back'n'forth with a really talented musician for that exact reason.

So, yeah, I'd be happy, if you guys would try not to raise false hope in those, who may need to get more guidance instead! Think about the sandwich, as will I! 8)
574X
KVRist

105 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

tasty tatsyn wrote:"This voting unfortunatly feels a bit like politics"
:lol:
tasty tatsyn wrote:"now back to music ;)"
Indeed.

Wagtunes is in a credible position to offer advice about how the antithesis of a positive attitude fosters the antithesis of development. :clap:
Taron wrote:Long live a proper American sandwich: GREAT IDEA, very sloppy doodle, BUT PLENTY OF POTENTIAL! :D...
Think about the sandwich, as will I! 8)
Yes Taron, I agree and am definitely thinking about the sandwich.
zarf
KVRist

Postby zarf; Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

Taron wrote:Here I go, listening to something I find almost unbearable, trying to see what the nature of hope might be, some redeeming factors. And when I find them, I see this as a reason to provide the "best possible advice" that comes to my mind.

When you have the skills and intuition of Taron ( :hail: ) then offering 'best possible advice' is almost always a good and helpful thing. Not so easy when you are less clear (due to your own inexperience and lack of skills), to give some useful positive suggestions.
And good call about the sandwich :) I will remember that excellent advice.

@574X - dude, wtf :lol: man, it's almost like you're not taking this seriously :uhuhuh: ( :D )
574X
KVRist

Postby 574X; Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

zarf wrote:it's almost like you're not taking this seriously :uhuhuh: ( :D )

:lol: Yeah, can someone point me in the direction of a place where people discuss synthesis and composition? :ud: :help:
I'm thinking, something like a synthesis competition... :pray:
574X
KVRist

Postby 574X; Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

Yes, Taron. Your advice is extremely valuable because of your skill. :love:
I agree - it's the reason it's so meaningful to listen to each track noticing their greatest strengths to foster, and also their most obvious area of improvement, if they are willing to hear it as tactfully as it can be communicated.
It's a huge gift and is easy to practice here at the OSC. :hail:
ontrackp
KVRian

518 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Thu May 18, 2017 6:32 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

I don't think there is anything wrong with making a positive comment about something you like (i.e. a drum sound or a nice melody), but the overall score ends up lower just due to how it stands up against the other tracks. I try to find good in everything and comment on it but I also give critical comments, which are usually taken in the positive and cooperative spirit with which they are given.

BTW - Taron, I appreciate your honest comments!

It's much harder to write negative comments because by and large people don't want to feel like they're being a dick, or condescending. I would like to have more critical comments -- I don't think they're mean, in fact, generally I think they mean well.
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

2810 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #98: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

Photonic -- Way to go buddy!
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets.: The Latest: New Hybrid Synth/Sample Sound Library for Halion 6: Celestial Spheres

http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments