What's your favorite software synth to program, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
EnGee wrote:NI Massive because of the sound/interface are brilliant :)
It wasn't love at first sight, but, i'm really growing fond of it too. Solid, good sound, and the interface, and operation is really nice, i like it. Especially, it really has everything, may need a bit of time to find the one or the other function, as the layout is a bit unusual, but, it's really all there, quite a complete synth. Only need to figure out how to activate the Glide now. Yeye, RTFM. :D :dog:
:hihi: I have been there! The glide is in the OSC tab.

Yeah, i saw that, but when i turn it on (turn the glide knob that is), there is no effect. :o I'm sure i missed something though...

Edit: Guess this is the answer: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ion.74811/ I still was in poly mode when i turned up the glide knob.

ghettosynth wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
jancivil wrote:Absynth. Because of the envelopes, multiple breakpoints. Endless breakpoints? I don't know. :scared:
Just the control of envelopes for all the aspects of the patch. I just understand this synth.
I love the sound of Absynth but unfortunately have not spent much time to learn to use it.
ABsynth always makes it to my top three VSTi's list.

I like it for the sound and the randomizer of Absynth.
Really hope ABSynth 6 will be released this year.
Absynth is interesting for sure. The thing to avoid with Absynth is relying too heavily on the resonant filters as they are decidedly old hat. That's not as much a limitation with Absynth as it is with a pure VA synth as it isn't really where Absynth shines. I think that Absynth has a really nice power/ease of use tradeoff and as much as I think that the U/I could use an upgrade, it's really quite functional.

If you like to use sample manipulation to create new sounds, you should also check out Steinberg's PadShop pro (pro is essential because the value is in using your own samples) and iZotope Iris 2. Like Absynth, they both have their own particular limitations, however, like Absynth, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

If you like selective randomization for inspiration then I can highly recommend HG Sound's Cassetto, and AIR Vacuum Pro which both have cool, per section, randomization features.

Vacuum Pro is a bit of a weirdo, but, I like it more than I expected that I would.
Hopefully I will bet back to music making soon.

"If you like to use sample manipulation to create new sounds,"
That's it!

I have not liked Padshop Pro much but will give it another try since you suggest it.
I had a bit of better luck with Iris. I really like the concept. Hope there will be an Iris 3 and even a Padshop Pro 2.
You really have to explore the controls in the granulator. Pick a preset that you like that only has one layer (A/B). Then start experimenting by dropping your own samples. When you get something that you like, save, now start exploring the controls. It's a lot more detailed than it seems at first. But, you really do have to dig in and try to understand how the parameters impact the resulting sound.
But still my favorite is ABsynth. Love the sound. Love the Randomizer.
Never thought that the ABsynth sound is a bit dated but I am not up on such matters.

"The thing to avoid with Absynth is relying too heavily on the resonant filters as they are decidedly old hat. "
I made a not of this. Yes looking forward to an Absyhtn 6 and the universal pleading for an GUI upgrade.
Absynth is really quite straightforward. So it's a really good synth to start to dig in deep and get past relying too heavily on the randomizer.
Got Cassetto recently but had not put is high on my list to try. Actually Kosmology got my interest.
Ok now that you mentioned it I will look into Cassetto.

Edir: Have not yet bought the AIR $75 deal. But AIR Vacuum Pro seems does not use samples.
It does not, but, it has a very cool randomization system that let's you lock the different sections. It's a great way to explore in a somewhat constrained way. You mentioned that you don't twiddle knobs much, I'm trying to help you move past relying so much on the randomizer and both Cassetto and Vacuum Pro have cool randomization systems that will help you do that. I didn't mean to imply that it uses samples.
Thanks for the suggestions.
As I get to learn the programs I will definitely do more knob twisting. :roll: :lol:

Serum & Massive, the drag and drop modulation makes a lot of sense to me + the effects inside the plugins are also nice :)

the legend and repro-1

chk071 wrote:Yeah, i saw that, but when i turn it on (turn the glide knob that is), there is no effect. :o I'm sure i missed something though...

Edit: Guess this is the answer: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ion.74811/ I still was in poly mode when i turned up the glide knob.
It needs some time to get used to it.

Another one that is so nice to program is Razor. It's the best ensemble for Reaktor IMO. The effects are amazing especially the reverb :) Razor has too much packed in. An excellent synth worth the time invested.

EnGee wrote:
jancivil wrote:
EnGee wrote:NI Massive because of the sound/interface are brilliant :)
I like this one, too. The modulation window is pretty cool! I've had good luck with this synth, its wavetable presets and such.

thx, Kalamata Kid. The vids appearing at the top of the wordpress site, "Aftermath" is actually where I did not use Absynth. That's Soniccouture EP73 Deconstructed and Broken Wurli, Massive and Kontour. Some Monark.
I liked 'As Alien As' :) The brass sound gives depth and a 'timeless' feeling. I haven't heard the other songs yet, but I felt you are like making a dialog between the different elements you use, and giving your musical knowledge, you are very capable of that of course.

Absynth, was my absolute favourite for many years, and just about now it begin to click with me. It is so damn capable synth. The envelopes can be so complex! If they just update the GUI and make it bigger?! Anyway, Absynth will be from the next 5 synths I want to feel comfortable with (after Massive and some others).

I'm busy little bit with the Legend right now due to my possible participation in Any One Synth Challenge. This one also can add a fantastic element to your compositions. I like it now much more than Monark. It has a wonderful character (don't know about the original). Luckily, it won't be long till I feel in control with it :)
Thanks. Hear SPACED next. :) The sirens in that are Absynth. There's a happening 'back to front' mix.
I'm interested in synths and electronics as orchestral components.

Legend looks cool but I'm done buying. I finally did upgrade to Absynth 5, bought several samples libraries, upped to Cubase 9.
If I can't get it from what I have I'm weak.

jancivil wrote: If I can't get it from what I have I'm weak.
No no... that is not it... rather you are strong enough to recognize that you need more synths! :hihi:

:lol:

Did I already say Tangle is the bomb? This is my favorite synth now - though I bought it when it first came out...low CPU.

jancivil wrote: Thanks. Hear SPACED next. :) The sirens in that are Absynth. There's a happening 'back to front' mix.
I'm interested in synths and electronics as orchestral components.

Legend looks cool but I'm done buying. I finally did upgrade to Absynth 5, bought several samples libraries, upped to Cubase 9.
If I can't get it from what I have I'm weak.
I liked SPACED but I liked more Windowpane 1 and Habituated. They are fantastic :) Do you work in movies/documentaries/games fields? I would be very surprise if you don't/didn't!
I will hear all your work gradually, as I'm interested in such original composition.

Well, Yes, I think you have all the tools you need. I'm trying to save some money for Cubase 9 (full upgrade from Artist). So, you have Retrologue 2. This is a very nice analogish synth and from my favourite synths :)

I was out of it until ca. 2006, and it took me a while to get it happening again. I have worked very little, in terms of remuneration. I should. I'm so broke. Calculate THIS was a short film. Impossible job, funny story. :scared:

The Lost Time, I think is a successful combo of orch and synth. Reaktor Spark.

I got to Cubase Pro 9 from Cubase 5. I didn't even have the dongle but Steinberg replaced the license so I could install the upgrade.

thanks, guy

Well, you did something I couldn't reach yet. I'm trying to do something similar. I will die with a smile if I can do it :)
So, congratulations from me. You already did what I'm (I was) dreaming of. The material success is not the real measure. Be happy :)

TimeTraveller wrote:Bazille - because it's a real innovation. Designing sounds with it is a journey to explore and discover. It sounds great, it's fun and the possibilities seem endless. It's not just a nice synths - it's already a living legend.
One of the things I love about doing sound design with Bazille, is that using various sorts of feedback loops one can create intriguing instabilities and playing around on the edge of that I find musically very rewarding. Plus it has a wide sonic range from clean crystalline tones to a lovely organic gritty character. Here's the sound I made tonight...

http://draigathar.org/sounds/B-Sina.mp3

pdxindy can you ask Urs to ask you to do a soundset for Bazille and/or Diva for uHe? The stuff you come up with is great. At least I think so. :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”