What modern synthesizer would you like to see emulated in software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

masterhiggins wrote:
Michael L wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:We really need more transgenders making electronic music.
and more adolescent wankers too, Master Higgins. Everyone is welcome!
Nah, some people are more welcome than others. I forgot what the SJW inclusion hierarchy is. I'm Mexican and have Aspergers. Not sure where I fall on that list yet.
It's a *plonk*.

"My killfiles are full of 'em. I can hear them buzzing!"

.jon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Urs wrote:I think what I wanted to say was, I thought it was all about beeps and bleeps. And for many people, I guess it is. However, after spending a lot of time learning these things, I'd much rather want to see something like this in software than any randomly exchangeable poly synth with the same basic feature set as any decent VSTi had for ten years.

To a degree, Softube Modular offers some of it, but not quite all of it.
Well, that's basically what I've been looking for in a soft synth but I seriously doubt it's ever going to happen unless you make it happen. I mean that sincerely. You're pretty much our only hope for something like this.
Reaktor Blocks offers all of it and more. Madrona Labs Aalto does the Shared System thing and wraps the west coast concept in a preconfigured package.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was looking at the 0-Coast and spend a day playing with Aalto and Reaktor 6's West Coast blocks and came to the conclusion that they nailed it good enough for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I thought about this one for a while... and I have to admit that I couldn't come up with much. I yearn for a Fizmo as much as the next guy... well, maybe more, but to be honest, I find the wealth of modern VSTs to be pretty amazing and most of my G.A.S. for the hardware stuff mostly comes from nostalgia and not real love for a given instrument. I honestly think MPowersynth quenched my G.A.S. for a Fizmo forever. Not that it's an emulation of one in any way. I'm just saying, that if I forget trying to chase the feeling I first had when I played a Fizmo and focus on what a synth like MPowersynth does for me, I feel a bit embarrassed. I don't yearn for a VIrus. I got rid of my C and a Micron the moment I bought Zebra and never looked back. I tried a Snow and sold it a month later because I like the way Dune 2 sounds better. I've yet to hear a V.A.S.T. demo that makes me think those who yearn for that aren't just feeling nostalgic. The V-Synth's VariPhrase engine always sounds very "version 1" to me, but I think an updated version could be a great thing, but in the mean time, Electra 2 and Poseidon do great resynthesis to my ears. Radias? Nah, ArcSyn blows it away. I bet I'd even decide Omnisphere 2 is just as good, and in many ways better, than the upcoming Quantum. (Since I won't have $3,000 to spend on one any time soon, I'm going to keep telling myself that regardless. :lol:) I bet Diva could already give you Andromeda quality sounds (especially if they added a 3rd EG and LFO!). Modern analogs, well you should just buy one, as nothing's really going to nail one perfectly. I'll buy U-He's Prophet 5 emulation, I'm sure, but I don't think it'll make me get rid of my Prophet 6.

I could go on for days, but I really think there aren't very many modern synths worth emulating. Most of what we have now is better. I just picked up Bazille with my coupon and it's f'n fantastic sounding. Just make more great synths like that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

doepfer dark energy ! :love: :love:

SODDI wrote:
Michael L wrote:
Urs wrote:I'm more into repetitive structures.
Well there you go-- I dislike repetition! But what I liked about Morton's talk is the central role of his controller to fulfil his "intention" to quickly and easily explore the many continua between notes and timbres. That goes hand-in-hand with the problem of notation of those hardware synth sounds in performance (and Subotnick was involved that exploration too). So perhaps software emulations of modern hardware should emulate more than just the circuits??
There isn't just Subotnick. Suzanne Ciani is a master of the Buchla. Here she is in performance earlier this year. The control voltage patch cords are the red, yelloe and blue cables (banana cables, they can be stacked), the audio patch cords are thin grey cables.
(VERY long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYyGbcyuJ8

I can't think about this properly because I am perpetually addled, but maybe an idea would be to completely separate the control "surface" from the audio.
Impressive, totally the opposite of Subotnik, who said modulars (particularly Buchlas) are only good for bleeps and bloops? Interesting how she is using 2 iPads (one with what looks like Animoog) as controllers.

Nord Lead 4
:borg:

aMUSEd wrote:Impressive, totally the opposite of Subotnik
Yes, very different aesthetic. She was very into the sensuality of synthesis, but also worked on the Buchla assembly line while studying music. AFAIK there are no female synth developers, so Ciani should help U-he design a new synth (perhaps with no midi in)

Michael L wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Impressive, totally the opposite of Subotnik
Yes, very different aesthetic. She was very into the sensuality of synthesis, but also worked on the Buchla assembly line while studying music. AFAIK there are no female synth developers, so Ciani should help U-he design a new synth (perhaps with no midi in)
IIRC, Ciani and Subotnick advised Buchla on the AESTHETICS of his synths, the way they should work for musicians, much like Carlos and Emerson advised Moog on the original modulars. (You can thank Carlos for synth portamento - "Analog Days" - Trevor Pinch.)

I think it is a good idea to invite musicians/artists to advise the tech people on the working aesthetic designs of their projects. What may be great design-wise may not be terrifically usable in practice.

SODDI wrote:I think it is a good idea to invite musicians/artists to advise the tech people on the working aesthetic designs of their projects. What may be great design-wise may not be terrifically usable in practice.
+1

SODDI wrote: IIRC, Ciani and Subotnick advised Buchla on the AESTHETICS of his synths, the way they should work for musicians, much like Carlos and Emerson advised Moog on the original modulars.
You mean Carlos and Herb Deutsch... With Deutsch in the first place.
Fernando (FMR)

Deepmind 12.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

It's probaly a fantasy but the schedmit synth will be very nice.

michaelbrac wrote:It's probaly a fantasy but the schedmit synth will be very nice.
???
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

richard from synapse going to make one emu synth than never done before

see here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482208&start=195

"Yeah, if we make another emulation we tend towards something that either has never been done before, or at least not often. And for sure we will make something original as well :)

Richard"

BasariStudios wrote:
michaelbrac wrote:It's probaly a fantasy but the schedmit synth will be very nice.
???
He probably means this:

http://www.schmidt-synthesizer.com/en/

Return to “Instruments”