Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

ThomasHelzle wrote:Like Peter says, G.A.S. is Gear Akquisition Syndrome.
Basically the whole Music-Gear Industry lives off this form of addiction where people basically hope that the next guitar, synth, effect, DAW, controller, sound library, sample set etc. "does it" for them. You buy stuff in the hope that your sound will get better, that you will be more inspired, that you will be able to do things musically that you couldn't before, that you will get seen, be loved, maybe even become famous...

This addiction is fueled by bold marketing promising amazing things for even the most boring EQ you already have in 50 versions.
If some popstar or producer says good things about it, maybe it will colour off on you?...
And if it looks cool, it maybe helps too?...

And sales of course are the final triggers. Many companies offer their stuff for very high prices and then have more or less continuous sales going on that push people over the threshold. They buy stuff they normally would never buy, they know they don't need it, but "the price is too good to say no". So "nobrainer" has this additional meaning of no brain being involved and it's all glands that do the deciding.

And like with any drug, after the kick there is the down, you realise you spent too much, the thing just sits there on your HD like all the other stuff that didn't actually make you happy or creative and you get "buyers remorse" or start to work out your frustration in public forums like KVR, where you might argue with devs about silly details, get into endless discussions about the perfect DAW, synth, effect or abuse other users and become a professional troll...

Of course it's mostly hogwash.
Humans get actually creative by restriction, not by being flooded with options, so GAS for many rather creates stagnating creativity and they think back of the times when they "had nothing but a tape recorder" but somehow the creative juices flowed...

If you read KVR, you would think the Beatles could never have got anything done with the crap equipment they had.
But they did.

So welcome to basically being the equivalent of a drug dealer ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
Wonderful and so much exact description !

That's why the GAS is included in the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders by the medical doctors and the psychiatrists.

Because yes, it is a true disorder of the mind and of the life in that it is not triggered by the reason but by a permanent feeling to always miss something better than what can actually be already excellent to solve all the needs in a leisure activity (not only in music). And yes, it is obsessive because it can take all the time or almost all the time of these leisure activities, much more time in this activity of buying and always searching for a better product or "the missing product" and discussing about products on forums during hours and hours each day... instead of really using the objects, tools or instruments which are already owned. And yes it is compulsive because it is a compulsion, something repeated permanently and in a state of mind where the "victim" (a compulsion means the fact of being victim of a constraint impulsed by one's own mind) is practically unable to resist the temptation impulsed by his/her mind. At the extreme (less and less rare) it can lead some victims to be financially ruined, it can lead parents to miss the money necessary for the schooling of their children, it can lead couples to divorce, or to end up having their account blocked by their bank, or to be unable any more to bear the mandatory financial expenses (taxes, assurances, electricity, rents, etc., the worse being the rents and the taxes). These situations are the extreme situations, but they are not that rare, far from it! More and more couples and parents have now to face the household over-indebtedness due to these obsessive-compulsive disorders of themselves (the husband of the wife or even both) or of one of their children. These extreme situations that I cited as examples are less and less rare, and crowds of GAS victims are now months after months barely sustaining, with a sigh of relief at the last day of the month but being permanently at the limit to suddenly fall down in the financial nightmare.

The GAS is a real psychological (and even psychiatric) trouble, which seems harmless but it is like a slow-burning fire. A sudden unexpected event in the life with a mandatory expense to do... and it appears suddenly that it remains too few money in the bank account to face the event. And it is then the beginning of the deep consequences of that behavior which has been going on for a long time.

GAS is like a permanent excessive use of alcohol without feeling oneself an obvious alcoholic. It is also like a too intensive use of gambling money games, online or not (there are hundreds of thousands of people who scratch a dozen of tickets each week, and that's why all the jackpots are now astronomical each week, and it is that infernal feedback between causes and consequences which enhances the vicious circle). In all these situations, the mind process is more or less the same : a strong difficulty to face a compulsive obsession appearing like an irrepressible craving and which is reckless and never really guided by the reason nor by any real need.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Tom, that might just be the best post on being a musician I've ever read!

BW, Good points also, I too am guilty.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Wed May 09, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa est.

FathomSynth wrote:Tom, that might just be the best post on being a musician I've ever read!

BW, Good points also, I too am guilty.
You are not guilty, not at all. You did not get people into the "no brainer" state, as your marketing abilities are also limited and the product including the support you give is unparalleled and all worth you ask for.
My last GAS attack made me buy Sektor, because they claimed it is MPE compatible, and I found out it isn't really. Contacting them did not lead to any helpful response... Whereas your responses here are mind blowing, and the speed you fix bugs is rocketing...

There is one area completely without gas, at least in terms of money. That is the open source scene. And though all is free there, there are players who can work professionally and make a living. They won't get rich, because to become rich you need to have a capitalist carnivore mind, which is a contradiction to a creative mind...; - )
But when people pay the money out of a being grateful, instead of thinking making a good "deal", we would be in a different world. To aim for that world is rewarding in its own right...
Don't get me wrong, it is fine to ask for money, in your case its even necessary, especially when you transparently show your personal situation...
I am myself always in a precary situation and its hard to keep going with what I love to do. But I believe it is the best possible contribution to this wonderful world. If I would take a badly paid job and work for a capitalist just to get some more money in the pocket, it would be a waist of talent and spiritual resources...

Fathom's new website is now live. :phones:

Take it for a spin.

https://www.fathomsynth.com

FathomSynth wrote:Fathom's new website is now live. :phones:

Take it for a spin.

https://www.fathomsynth.com
Wow! :clap:

I find it a bit odd that clicking the Home button opens another tab in my browser rather than just directing to the page within the same tab
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, that was fast.

OK, I fixed the button so it stays in the same browser tab, thanks for finding that.

The first page is called a "landing page" which usually has big company graphics and such if needed. Then the "Home" page also sometimes referred to as the "Index" page has the menu.

The landing page is connected to just "www.fathomsynth.com",
and it's the place I want people to go if they are first time viewers.

Once someone is inside the website I don't want them to have to go back to the landing page,
but instead to land back on the main menu.

Edit: OK, I took your advice and I think it looks better, the landing page is now called "Home" and the grid page is now called "Menu". That would seem more consistent with other websites.

Also, it's a totally new web site so there are bound to be navigation issues.

Please try it out and report any dead links and such and I will fix them.

Also, there were be a new Shopify portal which will allow the use of PayPal.

Personally, I think the graphics that lead to the different themes should be more representative of the subject they link to.

So for example the link to the modular info should have a graphic of the modular view, the link to the Audio Quality should have have a wave form graphic like those on that actual page
etc

Also the buy page doesnt display the price, you have to click on the Purchase Fathom button which takes you to the next page where you see the price, the font there is rather small.

Actually you have to click through several pages before you get to enter details for purchase which seems a bit silly, you could lose at least one of the pages that link to the actual purchase page
Amazon: why not use an alternative

In May 2017 I wrote:
bftucker wrote:Consider Seaweed Audio's Fathom!

http://www.kvraudio.com/marketplace/fat ... weed-audio

The GUI alone is worth the price they are asking!

:wink:
The same aesthetic sensibility that so impressed me then is evident in your new website!

Fathom has matured a great deal since those earliest versions.

:clap: :love: :clap:
바보

I hear what you are saying about the buy option.

However, a couple rules that constrain what I can do.

First, there's no longer any scrolling necessary to get to buy it, which is a huge improvement relatively.
Second, there are things which are absolutely necessary for the customer to read before buying so that requires one page.
Also, Square Space has a product page even if there is only one product and I can't control that.

Starting from the main page, it's 3 clicks ...
1. "Buy"
2. Critical Product Info, "Buy Now"
3. Product Purchase Page, Click on Product.

I agree it would be great to combine 2 and 3 but there's no way to do it sorry.
But three clicks, with no scrolling, is a huge improvement over what it was before.

BFT, wow you 'are still here! Long time no see. Thanks for stopping by. 8)

How about putting the "Buy" button below or beside the "Menu" button. Do note you are ignoring the impulsive buyers :-D. They don't wanna read a whole page of critical product info. They just wanna buy it ;-).

What is the restriction that prevents you from combining two and three? This is just for my knowledge. Restriction of framework you are using? I do web design so this will help me make a note of such restrictions for future reference.

having said that, I do feel that combining the purchase and product page will help the potential buyers.

IMO you don't need the landing page with a big picture in it, just take it to the critical product info page. Show all those thumbnails (I would suggest small size to load the page faster) in the product page itself, if someone wanna see or read more then they can. I would suggest to create an accordion or tabbed section for the features so that the potential customer stays on the same page, no back and forth. Nowadays the shoppers have less patience.

I suggest to put the price on the product page itself, may be on the button e.g. Buy Now for $25. There is no point in playing hide and seek with the buyer. Sometimes it pisses some people off, they don't even go further.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes, Thanks for the suggestions. Your experience with interface design is very valuable here.

I took your advice and put the price on the Buy page.

I would love to combine the buy page and the product page, but my host is Square Space and the product page is mandatory even if there is only one product and there is no way to turn it off.

There is no way to combine the pages.

There will also be a Shopify page for PayPal and that will have only one click.

Also I had to create a short modulated distortion demo for the web site.

This is the first recording since I improved the distortion algorithm in 2.11.

https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/ ... ortion.mp3

Sequence, modulation and effects are all Fathom, one take, no external processing or edits of any kind were used.

This also is a good demo for the use of the new Gaussian Zero Delay Filter which is now built into the wave draw oscillator. The first half uses only the Gaussian filter, no other filters.

Return to “Instruments”