The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

 Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm Re: Fathom New Video

There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,
so all I have to do is add a four dial panel for it and make it a separate filter.

2.19 will be out later this week.
_al_
KVRist
 
293 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 pm Re: Fathom New Video

FathomSynth wrote:There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,
so all I have to do is add a four dial panel for it and make it a separate filter.

2.19 will be out later this week.


Great. Hopefully you can release it before implementing the comb or any other features? We really need this!

But anyway, here's some more feature requests: :hihi:
An in-depth comb filter that doesn't bog you down in details.

An example of this is Zebra's comb. It doesn't let you tune individual freqs, but gives you knobs like tune, tone and flavour, which change the timbre in really nice ways, and make you feel you have a really large scope for possibility. (the dissonant mode is particularly awesome)

An example of this done not so well is the Melda comb. It lets you tune the freq of individual filters, the feedback, and even modulate the freqs. With this i find it takes an extraordinary amount of time to get a usable noise out of it.

However, either of those two would be better than a simple freq + res combo.

Also, i'm not sure if you have implemented copy/paste between modules? Or an A/B function?
But these two things, i find really important, and always miss them when not present. They can even be the deciding factor when i'm deciding what synth to use.
With copy/paste, i mean creating a custom shape on a multi-point envelope, and being able to copy it (either to paste onto a new modulator, or just to back it up, to avoid mistakes)

With A/B, i mean making a preset, and copying the whole preset to a "B" section, so we can carry on working on it, without worrying about destroying our latest working version of it. (This also allows us to quickly switch between 2 versions of a preset, with having to load through a menu).

Ok, so those things are things i would be looking for in a supersynth, so i hope some of it resonates with you :hihi:
Saukar30
KVRian
 
1005 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Postby Saukar30; Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm Re: Fathom New Video

_al_ wrote:
FathomSynth wrote:There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,
so all I have to do is add a four dial panel for it and make it a separate filter.

2.19 will be out later this week.


Great. Hopefully you can release it before implementing the comb or any other features? We really need this!

But anyway, here's some more feature requests: :hihi:
An in-depth comb filter that doesn't bog you down in details.

An example of this is Zebra's comb. It doesn't let you tune individual freqs, but gives you knobs like tune, tone and flavour, which change the timbre in really nice ways, and make you feel you have a really large scope for possibility. (the dissonant mode is particularly awesome)

An example of this done not so well is the Melda comb. It lets you tune the freq of individual filters, the feedback, and even modulate the freqs. With this i find it takes an extraordinary amount of time to get a usable noise out of it.

However, either of those two would be better than a simple freq + res combo.


+1
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:21 pm Re: Fathom New Video

I was thinking of just a simple comb filter with feed forward and feedback options, and either a dial for the time delay or perhaps the ability to set the distance between peaks in the frequency domain.

The ability to modulate all the parameters would be built-in.

Nuances such as tone and flavor are abstract concepts and implementing them would require DSP algorithms which I currently do not have access to, and would need to do some research to find.

I will be releasing 2.19 as soon as possible before the comb filter because the new code currently has some very important changes for memory allocation, which everyone needs. I think one more day of testing.
_al_
KVRist
 
293 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm Re: Fathom New Video

FathomSynth wrote:
Nuances such as tone and flavor are abstract concepts and implementing them would require DSP algorithms which I currently do not have access to, and would need to do some research to find.


Yeah i guessed that may be the case. I was hoping it was just some kind of macro effect, where he was moving frequencies in a very specific way, and maybe resonating some non harmonic content (tone and flavour in dissonant mode really are quite puzzling, and quite unique).

Anyway, looking forward to thoroughly testing this synth in the mix when the ram is fixed :tu:
_al_
KVRist
 
293 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:19 am Re: Fathom New Video

:tantrum:
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:45 pm Re: Fathom New Video

Version 2.19 Memory Improvements :tu:

Reduced startup RAM to 50% of the previous size.
GUI RAM reduced from 0.325 to 0.150 GB.
Maximum Oscillator RAM reduced from 1.000 to 0.750 GB.
Minimum Oscillator RAM reduced from 1.000 to 0.150 GB.
Total RAM GUI normal reduced from 0.400 to 0.175 GB.
Total RAM GUI resized reduced from 0.675 to 0.250 GB.
Total RAM with minimum oscillator tables reduced from 1.600 GB to 0.360 GB.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:24 pm Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Saukar30
KVRian
 
1005 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Postby Saukar30; Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 am Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Nice! Thank you very much!
_al_
KVRist
 
293 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby _al_; Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:40 pm Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

RAM is fixed, but now the glitches are back, that i was complaining about in the mono version.
Will have a look later and see if i can find a problem. Maybe something in options, but this was previously fixed by switching to MT version (which is now glitching).

Also there is some controls missing in wavedraw module (edge type, partials etc)
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Can you send me the preset xml that is glitching.

And what exactly do you mean by "glitches"?

There are no controls missing for me.

What is your OS, Windows or Mac, 32 or 64, which Host?
mevla
KVRAF
 
1581 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Postby mevla; Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:05 am Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Hello,

As customers, should we get automated messages about updates ?

Cheers.
zzz00m
KVRian
 
1290 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 am Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

mevla wrote:Hello,

As customers, should we get automated messages about updates ?

Cheers.


You will if you subscribe to this thread!
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
willsavino
KVRist
 
34 posts since 7 Aug, 2018, from Michigan

Postby willsavino; Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 am Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Hey, great update! Obviously the RAM stuff is great, but the ADSR changes also address maybe my second biggest concern with this plugin (CPU management is still a drag).

I really appreciate how responsive you are to feedback. This synth is so powerful, especially for the price.
FathomSynth
KVRian
 
841 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Thanks, CPU will be the top priority for the rest of this year.

I think the micro-tuning feature will go into the next release.

I am planning on doing a release email to everyone who bought Fathom, but I was waiting to see if any bugs are reported back from the field. I need to find out the details for_al_ glitch problem first and fix it if necessary.
PreviousNext

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments

The beat of a different drummer: An interview with Mattias Eklund from Toontrack
Advertisements