Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote:Can you send me the preset xml that is glitching.

And what exactly do you mean by "glitches"?

There are no controls missing for me.

What is your OS, Windows or Mac, 32 or 64, which Host?
no need for preset. i just load an empty fathom, add a wave table module, and push play.

by glitching i mean stuttering audio. i place one single note on c5, and push play. audio immediately starts breaking up and cutting out constantly. it makes the synth quite unusable. the glitching is less continuous when i close the ui, but it's still there.
cpu is on 2% so i don't think it's related.

win 7 32 bit
fl studio 20 (latest build)

oh and heres a screenshot of the missing knobs. i'm sure there was knobs for sharpness, trail filter etc in previous version

EDIT: oops, wavedraw module is also missing knobs in the noise and distortion sections. and i mean ALL the knobs

funny thing is... in the kvr news section, the seaweed audio icon is the EXACT knobs that are missing :o are you trolling us bro? :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah ha, 32 bit, OK I think I know what is happening with the knobs, I will fix that now.

:!: FL Studio! ok, FL Studio will absolutely not work at all unless you follow all the steps in the user guide Host Interfaces FL Studio section.

There should be a warning about that on the web site.

EDIT: The dials are missing for me too, but it looks like it only happens if you have the alternate dials selected in the GUI settings page. If you select the old factory dials then they will all re-appear. Do that for now, and I will get a complete fix with all the dials fixed as soon as possible this week.

EDIT: A lot of people in other countries are still running Win 7 32 bit so I try to make sure Fathom works for that. I was trying to be clever and reduce the GUI RAM for 32 bit, which is why the alternate dials are missing, but I will fix it now.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_al_ wrote: win 7 32 bit
:o :o :o
:roll:

martinjuenke wrote:
_al_ wrote: win 7 32 bit
:o :o :o
:roll:
What's so shocking? His download includes a 32bit dll, so i expect it to work on 32bit systems.

And yes, my computer is capable of 64bit, but i haven't needed to reinstall for years, so mind your own business :x

FathomSynth wrote:Ah ha, 32 bit, OK I think I know what is happening with the knobs, I will fix that now.

:!: FL Studio! ok, FL Studio will absolutely not work at all unless you follow all the steps in the user guide Host Interfaces FL Studio section.
Ok, i'll check the manual later and see what i can do, but it was working ok before the update

EDIT: ok i followed those steps, and it stopped the stuttering, but the playback is still not consistent.
I mean, when i put a few 1/8th notes in the piano roll, it plays the notes a different times to what i entered, and sometimes when i push stop and start again, it plays the right melody, but as one continuous note. And still not in the correct time.

Anyway, i don't really have the time to beta test this, so maybe i'll check again after a few versions and see if it's any better

I'm certain it is not going to get any better unless I fix the problem.

Could you send me the FL project file?

Also, kind of a dirty dig at the end for someone who didn't read the manual... :wink:

dandezebra wrote:Also, kind of a dirty dig at the end for someone who didn't read the manual... :wink:
um...not really. Even if i read the manual first (lol), it still wouldn't have fixed the problem, as the stuttering was only part of the problem.
So if i'm following his instructions, and that's revealing yet another problem, then yes, i feel like i'm beta testing.

But yeah, was probably a bit harsh.

Everett (if that's your name), sorry i really don't have time for this. It only cost me £11, but i have wasted over 2 hours messing with this, so hopefully someone else will report the same and be able to help. (it's just an empty project with one fathom)

OK, Sorry it didn't work out. Email me if you want a refund.

I will warn people on the web site not to purchase it if they are using FL Studio in 32 bit.

I will also install FL Studio on my 32 bit system and test it better.

I don't have any problems with FL Studio 64 bit.

I also did extensive performance testing this last release with note starts and stops both mono and chords with every possible permutation of oscillators and modulators especially double modulation of the ADSR and LFO period, modulation of the modulation amount, as well as the Random Sample and Hold modulator and could not find a single glitch. But I admit I did not do the same level of testing on 32 bit.

I do think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a product to work out of the box, so I don't blame you for moving to another synth.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some developers are completely dropping 32-bit support from new versions of their software, and I cannot say that I blame them.

If you live in a 32-bit computing world, you are living on borrowed time. It is a 64-bit world out there now, like it or not. Just saying ... :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:Some developers are completely dropping 32-bit support from new versions of their software, and I cannot say that I blame them.

If you live in a 32-bit computing world, you are living on borrowed time. It is a 64-bit world out there now, like it or not. Just saying ... :D
Agreed! I think Everett should should drop it before it wastes any more of his time, if he's not able to properly test on a 32bit machine.

And yeah, i know 32bit is coming to an end. I have nothing against switching, it's just i haven't actually needed to yet.
Installing windows is easy, but it's the hours of plugin installing that makes me put it off.

That said, it's probably time i put 64bit on another partition, and see how many problems it's gonna cause me :ud:

And Everett, no i don't need a refund (thanks for offering though) 8)
I won't be on 32bit forever, and i think this is gonna be a damn good synth if you persevere, so i'll hold on to it.
Also, it might actually work for other 32bit users, as computers can be funny like that

al, don't worry about comments from other users, you are right to expect the product to work on 32 bit.

I feel strongly that this thread should be a place where users can speak honestly about the product, especially reporting problems and bad parts of the product, without having to worry about being polite. So you did the right thing by openly reporting the issue.

Also, I always admit when something is my fault, and problems in 32 bit are my fault completely because I only do basic testing in 32 bit, all my extensive note handling and modulation testing are done in Ableton and Cubase on 64 bit. I have made a note to do more extensive testing in FL Studio since many ppl really like that host. Also I have a 32 bit test machine, so there is no excuse for not running my regression tests on it.

Check back on the web site in a couple weeks and I'll report if the problem is found and fixed.

Looking back at my comment, I think it came across worse than I intended as well. Still no sarcasm font size adjuster yet. Ha! Great synth!

It's cool, I just don't want to discourage anyone from reporting bugs.

FathomSynth wrote:al, don't worry about comments from other users, you are right to expect the product to work on 32 bit.
32bit is the new analog. In 20 years, people will be using 32bit plugins to get that noughties and whatever this decade is called sound.

Return to “Instruments”