Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Better get an 8-bit 24 kHz sr Fairlight then...

_al_ wrote: win 7 32 bit
:tu: :tu:

Right at ya bro! :)

Don't listen to all them 'bitcists' :evil:

ZeePok wrote:
_al_ wrote: win 7 32 bit
:tu: :tu:

Right at ya bro! :)

Don't listen to all them 'bitcists' :evil:
Seriously, the guy offers a 32bit download, and people are being rude to me because i expected it to work?
Are these people just over-compensating because something is lacking in their life? I don't get it.

I remember one time i mentioned something about my friends 26 gig cpu, and these freaks jumped straight on me lol "oh everyone knows cpu only come in odd numbers". Well no, everyone doesn't fking know, and i don't give a rat's ass.
It was irrelevant to the conversation, but they latched on to it, as a path to "victory".

So yeah, i'm still on 32 bit, because i'm too busy making music to care :D

al, Hi. I fixed the dial problem today so that fix will go into 2.20.

Tomorrow I will set up FL Studio on my 32 Bit machine and see if I get the distortion problem.

I don't want to take sides here, but there's still a huge amount of people in other countries that are still using 32 bit machines. Actually I would estimate almost 10 percent of my customer base is still on 32 bit, so I would not worry about still running one. And yes you were right to expect it to work.

I actually really miss some of my old 32 bit games. I would definitely go back and replay the first release of Ghost Recon if I could.

Cool, thanks. I'll try a new version in a week or two. I don't want you to feel i'm rushing you. But if you claim to have fixed it, i'll let you know if it worked for me

So, the 'MT' in fathomMT.dll that showed up with the v2.19 update stands for MicroTuning? I didn't notice any obvious difference in CPU use or core use (from Park Control Pro). Seems to run the same as the non-MT version when I A/B'd it this morning.

Is it a place holder that is currently the same as the non-MT version?

Why should I run one or the other?

TIA.
Intel i7 @ 3.4GHz, Win10 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Studio One 4 Pro Notion 6
PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL Nektar Panorama P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, VS-3, GS-2, VA-2, VA-3, EP-4, CP-2

Honestly if it was up to me, I'd not focus on 32-bit production.

Accept the fact It's 2018.

64-bit is what everyone is using, and if you're not then please UPGRADE. You'll be doing us all a favour.

The only thing 32-bit development does, is take away precious development time for future product development, because only a handful of people are using 32-bit systems these days.

Let 32-bit finally die..
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Honestly if it was up to me, I'd not focus on 32-bit production.

Accept the fact It's 2018.

64-bit is what everyone is using, and if you're not then please UPGRADE. You'll be doing us all a favour.

The only thing 32-bit development does, is take away precious development time for future product development, because only a handful of people are using 32-bit systems these days.

Let 32-bit finally die..
It is time to let this 32 vs 64 debate in this thread die. There is no point in continuing with a divisive argument here. We have made comments expressing our opinion on the subject, but the developer has made it clear that he intends to support 32 bit versions of his plugin, and since he is independent that is his right. Let's move on please.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

TheMaartian wrote:So, the 'MT' in fathomMT.dll that showed up with the v2.19 update stands for MicroTuning? I didn't notice any obvious difference in CPU use or core use (from Park Control Pro). Seems to run the same as the non-MT version when I A/B'd it this morning.

Is it a place holder that is currently the same as the non-MT version?

Why should I run one or the other?

TIA.
MT stands for the Visual Studio statically linked build. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=482501&p=7148450&hi ... d#p7148450

See the list of builds here: https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

Hi! New user here and currently diving in at the deep end of the pool :) I have one question, is there a resource where I can learn more about the different Filters? The manual does not seem to cover them and one or two sentences would help greatly in figuring out the advantages of one over the other (as the slopes look similar for many!). I've been reading up on some things on wikipedia, but it is really hard to form a coherent idea and actually just adds confusion, as the nomenclature seems to change all the time. Something along these lines for each of them would make learning the synth a lot easier for people with less detailed knowledge:

Ladder: Classic analog filter with a -24db slope, popularized by Robert Moog.
Linkwitz Riley Low Pass: ????
etc

It would make a great addition to this site (or even an info tab / Tooltip within the synth) https://www.fathomsynth.com/filters

The same goes for some of the effects, for example what does Chorus LCR mean and why is it great? Took me a while to figure out that it means Left-Center-Right, this could be made much more accessible for new users.

Otherwise, fantastic product! Had a blast all week with the mono version and now fully invested in the poly adventure!

Thanks!!

Yup, this thing is deep! There are a lot of filter choices. I agree that some pop up tool-tips would be handy!

But rather than make it too complicated with learning all the details first, maybe just experiment, and find what you like.

To borrow from TweakHeadz Lab "How to Program a Synthesizer" page, which simplifies the basic filter categories:
2. Filters

Think like this: The Filter CUTS away. Resonance boosts a narrow (or wide) band with of what is left. There are low pass filters which cut the highs. High pass filters which cut the lows. Band pass filters that only let a selected bandwidth of frequencies get through. Don't underestimate what you can do with a good filter. With a single low pass filter you can transform a generic analog sawtooth waveform into hundreds of timbres. The filter gives these plain sounding waveforms character.

:) thanks for the answer! And I agree, ears first! Beyond that, I am well aware of the basics and have been using lots of other synths, I just thought it would be helpful to emphasize this unique selling point that Fathom has for those who want to expand their understanding. The modular approach brings along a great many learning opportunities (I learned A LOT in Reaktor Blocks), and I think that is something Fathom could really use to its advantage! Let me know why having all these modules available is amazing! Check here for example (scroll down to see info on all modules) https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -6/blocks/ Now that gives you a headstart in understanding how to take advantage of all the opportunities at your feet!
If you take Serum for example, I am sure a large part of its popularity is due to how much and how easily it taught its users about synthesis!

I totally agree.

The number of filters has exploded since Fathom was first released and there are even numerous options even for the standard low pass resonant filter in Fathom.

Even more importantly is that the Newtonian Mechanical filter uses an algorithm which does not exist in any other plugin on the market, so a word or two about that filter would be a huge help for anyone looking for a true zero delay filter with no feedback leg.

I will try to add a brief description of each to the manual for this next release 2.20.

wow! great!!! thank you so much! I am sure this will help out a lot people like me who are fans of thick manuals :D!!! Also thank you for being such a responsive developer, it makes me take the product much more serious in the long run when deciding where to invest my time in depth! Let me know if i can be of further help somehow, I am really excited about this synth!

+1 :tu:

Return to “Instruments”