Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Fathom 1.0.14 Released

ScottAxxe
KVRist

32 posts since 25 Nov, 2011

Postby ScottAxxe; Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

What? You want the easy answer! Whatever happened to "the dedicated student will derive..."?

:-)

Having only implemented the most basic of FIR filters we are out of my territory. I will look around though and maybe learn a thing or two.
ScottAxxe
KVRist

Postby ScottAxxe; Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

I don't know if this guy gets into elliptical filters in particular but it's a whole paper on VA filter design which you might find interesting. Free just for signing up.

https://www.dsprelated.com/showabstract/3910.php

It is often repeated on various dsp sites that elliptic filters are not trivial to implement. :-)

You may also find this interesting. This is a book on filter design from the department of music at Stanford. The whole book is online here.

https://www.dsprelated.com/freebooks/filters/
generaldiomedes
KVRist

132 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:53 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

I keep reading this as an update to Massive .. argh
RPH
KVRian

933 posts since 20 Nov, 2005, from The Netherlands

Postby RPH; Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

ScottAxxe wrote:I don't know if this guy gets into elliptical filters in particular but it's a whole paper on VA filter design which you might find interesting. Free just for signing up.

https://www.dsprelated.com/showabstract/3910.php

It is often repeated on various dsp sites that elliptic filters are not trivial to implement. :-)

You don't need to signup there for that book on VA design..
Link:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -articles/

Everett, you should ask this at the DSP subforum ;)
"That guy" from NI also posts there.

Another link: http://www.iowahills.com/IIREllipticFilters.html
Filter designtool and c source.
FathomSynth
KVRist

239 posts since 25 Mar, 2017, from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Postby FathomSynth; Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:11 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.
I'll take a look at those books.

Yes, I admit this question really belongs in the DSP forum.

If I decide to pursue it beyond the current answers I'll re-post it there in a new thread.

I've been researching this for a while and posted the question since I think it could be
an incredibly useful answer for many synth developers here.

The Elliptic has the sharpest edges of any filter with the slight draw back of ripples at
the top and bottom, but these can be managed.

Creating a multi-band EQ out of cascaded Elliptic Band Pass filters would provide
incredible control in the frequency domain, and possibly some very cool sounds.

The only draw back is the math is very complex which is why its not commonly found.
yellowmix
KVRist

89 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

This is an amazing instrument. The community involvement adds a lot of value as well.

I have two questions:

* Is there a way to unbind velocity from master volume/master volume ADSR? If not, can that be implemented?
* If I want to modulate LFO amplitude how would I do that? Example: LFO on an oscillator fine pitch to create vibrato, but LFO/vibrato strength dependent on MIDI aftertouch.

I have a few feature requests:

* All-pass filter
* Comb filter
* FX modulation (global modulation would be fine, since per-voice modulation may impact performance too much).
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRist

121 posts since 21 Apr, 2017

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:23 am Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

yellowmix wrote:
* Is there a way to unbind velocity from master volume/master volume ADSR? If not, can that be implemented?

* If I want to modulate LFO amplitude how would I do that? Example: LFO on an oscillator fine pitch to create vibrato, but LFO/vibrato strength dependent on MIDI aftertouch.

For the master volume velocity issue I am using Jesusonic velocity utility to restrict what Fathom sees. I agree this should be dissabled. I know there are plans for velocity implementation. That may solve it.

With the LFO you can select the LFO amount on the modulator that you want to control and then click add modulator and select aftertouch as the source. I think that will get you there.
FathomSynth
KVRist

Postby FathomSynth; Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 am Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

SA, RPH,

Thanks for the links, I’ll will check those out shortly.

Generaldiomedes,

Wow you are right, using the word “Massive” is confusing. I will change that now in the title. Uhm, are there any synthesizers called “Huge”?

Yellowmix

That’s correct, SM is right, you can modulate the modulation amount. Click on the modulation amount dial in a mod slat just as you would select any other dial, then hit Add Mod. Then when you select the modulator select Midi Controller and on the bottom panel select After Touch.

In the next release 1.0.9 (Release planned Saturday) the front panel will have a Velocity dial which will enable you to crush the velocity range down between zero and a value less than maximum, or crush the velocity range up between a value and the maximum. It won’t have a dedicated curve but it will allow you to control or eliminate the range.

I also plan on adding velocity and after touch as direct modulators but that will be in 1.0.10.
BlackWinny
KVRAF

3171 posts since 17 Jun, 2013, from very close to Paris, France

Postby BlackWinny; Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am Re: Fathom Massive New Release 1.0.8 with Host Automation

FathomSynth wrote:I also plan on adding velocity and after touch as direct modulators but that will be in 1.0.10.

Musically saying... that will be a huge improvement !
:love:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
yellowmix
KVRist

89 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

Thanks Scrubbing Monkeys! That's a great hack. And thanks for pointing out those knobs can be modulated too.

Thanks Everett. That's great news! The synth is so powerful it's begging for expression control.
FathomSynth
KVRist

Postby FathomSynth; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 am Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScottAxxe
KVRist

Postby ScottAxxe; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:32 am Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

Wow! I haven't seen that level of control outside of a drawing program.

Nice work! That should provide for some very interesting and subtle sounds.
RPH
KVRian

933 posts since 20 Nov, 2005, from The Netherlands

Postby RPH; Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 am Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

Very nice indeed, looking forward to trying it when released. :)
overhishead
KVRist

261 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Postby overhishead; Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:21 am Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

it's been promising and fun to check out Fathom.

today while testing, i wound up in a kind of wave drawing screen that had no way out to return to other interface views. so I got stuck there, hiding and re-showing, hitting escape, nothing was able to get me out of that GUI view, so I had to delete the instance because I couldn't edit it anymore. if it happens again, I will try to do a screengrab.

I guess there should be a navigation tool bar on each interface view layout.
FathomSynth
KVRist

Postby FathomSynth; Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 am Re: Fathom New Release Later This Week

If you were in the big wave draw view did you try hitting "Exit Wavedraw"?
And if so where did it go after you hit it?

I'm doing final testing on 109 now, if you provide more detail
I will include a fix.

Thanks for finding this, it is a serious bug that must be fixed.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments