Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

If you were in the big wave draw view did you try hitting "Exit Wavedraw"?
And if so where did it go after you hit it?

I'm doing final testing on 109 now, if you provide more detail
then I will include the fix.

OK, everyone, 1.0.9 is ready to go.

Highlights include Bezier envelope curves, Keyboard tracking on all filters,
and some surprises on the front panel.

I will let you know as soon as i find that bug again.

I just noticed some of what i would call undesired behavior in the additive spectrum oscillator's exapanded Histogram drawing section:

while holding mouse button 1, and dragging, the histogram areas do not track where the mouse click began, so if you begin drawing in the "effect" area, and accidentally hit the partials area, modifications occur in the partials.

to phrase it in a different way, if you "scribble" in the additive spectrum histogram, the partials and effects areas of that histogram are agnostic of where mouse button 1 was originally pressed, leading to accidental editing of one or the other section.

Ah, you are right, if the mouse drag starts over the gain sliders and moves into
the phase sliders area it changes the phase sliders and vice versa.

I will change it so that the sliders follow the mouse drag only if
the mouse drag starts in the same area.

That's easy so it will go into 110.

I will also make it so a fast drag does not leave any spaces
and creates a smooth curve through the tops of all the sliders.

super,

is there a reason that the slider switches have a third in-between state when you're holding the mouse 1 button?

Sorry, what do you mean "third state"?

Are you talking about the new front panel EQ sliders with the white knobs,
or the existing additive spectrum oscillator expanded view frequency spectrum
thin blue sliders?

Unless I forgot something I did, there should not be a third state,
for both sliders you have to hold and drag the mouse for the sliders to move.

The only special case I'm aware of is that the new EQ sliders on the front panel
can be used for both gain and Q resonance band width.

i mean, some of the slider toggle switches move to the middle as long as mouse button 1 is being held. a sort of "kinetic" effect, the only problem is that if you click and hold, you might forget what the original state was, but are committed to a toggle anyway, so the "middle position" of the button graphic is to me redundant or distracting.

Oh, I see, yes for the toggle buttons the graphic goes to the middle before going to the other side.

I've been meaning to change that so when you press the mouse it shows a pressed graphic
with the position held before it toggles and then when you release the mouse
the graphics will animate a slide to the other toggle position.

Was 1.0.9 released yesterday?
I didn't receive update email.

Late last night, sorry you beat me to it, I was just about to send them out now.

thanks, I appreciate it since some senders get auto-blocked by my isp

ok, about the sliding toggle switch, i'd rather they didn't do anything because animating them seems a bit unnecessary. and if you're holding the mouse 1 button down and it is showing a depressed state, it does cause me to wait to see if it does anything if i hold it. so it's kind of a curiosity magnet that doesn't really lead to a new function so i would just toggle instantly on the click and ignore if the mouse 1 button is being held.

unless of course there's some special useful functionality to your preferred handling of the toggle sliders.

if click and drag should mean something, then a directional swipe should determine where the mouse button 1 release will send the toggle, positionwise. as it stands, no matter what you do after you click, the end result is a toggle.

Just playing with the mono version of this synth. Very, very interesting! :)
It looks very promising and I love the modular concept! So far, so great! :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

one more question,

sometimes when i am making adjustments to rotary dials, i don't hear the changes in real time until i let go of the knob. is this normal? most synths I have update the setting immediately, in a dezipped or interpolated way that causes a minimum of noticeable distortion.

using reaper 64 bit.

It depends on the dial.

Most dials movements will be audible right away as you move the dial.

However, if the dial adjusts a parameter which requires pre-calculating buffers of any kind,
then the change will not occur until you lift the mouse.

This is necessary otherwise moving the dial during host play would case severe stuttering.

Example is the partials dial if it is modulated, which pre-calculates about 64 waveform buffers each with 4096 samples.

The reason most synths do not do this is probably because they do not pre-calculate buffers
as much as Fathom does.

In the future I plan on providing the user more control over when pre-calculation is performed,
for instance waiting till the plugin GUI is closed.

Return to “Instruments”