Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Hi Everett,

Didn't have a lot of time to test the new phasor yet, but so far think it's really good!
There is a lot of control per channel. So good stuff, thanks!

Question: could you explain the channel mode cycles option a bit?

Cheers!

The "Cycles" mode is tricky to understand but very useful once you get the hang of it.

In Cycles mode the Phasor unit functions as a controller for the oscillator connected to it.
It is sort of like the Detune page except that it is added as a separate object.
This means that the phase doubling is done within the oscillator by telling the oscillator
to create multiple copies of the waveform, one for each phasor channel.
Each copy of the waveform is then played out of phase with each other.

One advantage of this mode is that the phase relationship of the second waveform can go forward in time as well as backwards in time. With a conventional buffer driven effect you can only go backwards in time.

Another difference, which is useful, is that the units of phase are an oscillator cycle period
not seconds or milliseconds in a delay buffer.

The whole reason for this mode was to give you the ability to get that cool "Phffffffffffffff"
analog synth sound from the oscillator by doubling the phased waveforms around zero
slightly out of sync with each other.

You can do this by setting the Phase to -0.100 and the Depth to 0.200 with a slow oscillation
using a Period of around 8.00. See the new factory presets starting with "Phasor" for many
examples on how to do this.

The user's guide goes into some detail on this mode, hopefully explaining it.

Of course, if you want to use it as a conventional Phasor or Flanger you can do that also.

First time returning to this thread since the synth was first released and I was one of the early testers. Kind of just dropped off the map on this since it didn't work in MuLab. How have things come since then? Is the note cutting off bug fixed? I'm obviously not looking for a perfect synth, especially when it comes to modular synths, and I know there are going to be problems, but are we at least at a point where this thing is stable and I can actually use it? If so, I'll redownload the latest demo (assuming there is a demo) and give it another shot in MuLab, which is my testing DAW. If it doesn't work there, it won't work in Cubase. This much I've already figured out through experience as Cubase is a very picky SOB.

Thanks for somebody getting back to me on this.

Download the free mono version to test, I don't have Mulab but do have Renoise / Reaper and FLstudio ( all three run this VST without problems ).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1x7q5e9zn ... 4_1015.zip

RPH wrote:Download the free mono version to test, I don't have Mulab but do have Renoise / Reaper and FLstudio ( all three run this VST without problems ).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1x7q5e9zn ... 4_1015.zip
This has both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Filename: Fathom_Mono_32_64_1015.zip

Okay, seems to be working fine now in MuLab.

Couple of questions.

1) Is the full version also monophonic? Not a big deal if it is (Reaktor is) but a polyphonic version to play chords and pads would be nice.

2) Upon purchase, do I just get a serial number to turn this version into the paid version or is it a completely separate download? If separate, do I just replace the old Fathom folder with the new one or can these two versions run side by side?

Thanks. Sounding good. I'm really excited about this.

1: Full version is poly.

2: You get a serial for a seperate version to download thru this link: https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates/
It's a zip file to be unlocked with the serial.
Personally, I replaced the mono for the Full version.
Think they can run side by side, but to prevent confusion removed it.
I only have the 64bit version installed, if testing with the mono is needed I just install the 32bit version.

RPH wrote:1: Full version is poly.

2: You get a serial for a seperate version to download thru this link: https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates/
It's a zip file to be unlocked with the serial.
Personally, I replaced the mono for the Full version.
Think they can run side by side, but to prevent confusion removed it.
I only have the 64bit version installed, if testing with the mono is needed I just install the 32bit version.
Thanks. I will DEFINITELY be picking this up today. Been waiting for this for 6 months.

Last question. Can this only be purchased through the KVR Marketplace? I went to the main site but when I click on purchase windows version it sends me to a page with nothing on it but a graphic.

Purchased from KVR marketplace. Where do I enter the serial number? Nothing is popping up upon loading saying it needs to be authorized. Is authorization automatic?

https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates/

Download and extract the zip file, then you'll get a notice to enter the serial you got thru e-mail ( if not, use 7zip ).
If you didn't get the e-mail with serial, wait for it.

Wagtunes,

It’s really good to have you back. I definitely remember you from before having read some of your posts and surmising that you are one of the experts around here on modular synths.

Yes, there have been a truck load of changes since then, as we are on our 15’nth software release. There were indeed some problems with MuLab at the start but they were resolved long ago, and we have many MuLab users with no complaints recently. That being said, if you find anything, let me know and I’ll make sure it is resolved immediately.

The most notable new features recently have been the 16x16 3D Wave Table Morphing oscillator, Bezier Curves in both the modulators and the Wave Draw oscillator, Host parameter automation, Drag and drop import of external single cycle waveforms, and the new 8 Channel Phasor.

The new Video is a good preview of the current state of features.
https://youtu.be/2RR0u8ZWeGI

Many people are still purchasing version 1.0.15 through KVR, so it should work, but I will try it myself now and send you a private email with details.

RPH, Thanks for managing marketing and sales in my absence, I was watching reruns of Homeland late last night, your hired as our new VP.

FathomSynth wrote:Wagtunes,

It’s really good to have you back. I definitely remember you from before having read some of your posts and surmising that you are one of the experts around here on modular synths.

Yes, there have been a truck load of changes since then, as we are on our 15’nth software release. There were indeed some problems with MuLab at the start but they were resolved long ago, and we have many MuLab users with no complaints recently. That being said, if you find anything, let me know and I’ll make sure it is resolved immediately.

The most notable new features recently have been the 16x16 3D Wave Table Morphing oscillator, Bezier Curves in both the modulators and the Wave Draw oscillator, Host parameter automation, Drag and drop import of external single cycle waveforms, and the new 8 Channel Phasor.

The new Video is a good preview of the current state of features.
https://youtu.be/2RR0u8ZWeGI

Many people are still purchasing version 1.0.15 through KVR, so it should work, but I will try it myself now and send you a private email with details.

RPH, Thanks for managing marketing and sales in my absence, I was watching reruns of Homeland late last night, your hired as our new VP.
Thanks for responding. It seem to be working fine. When I purchased, the zip file downloaded from KVR Marketplace said 1.0.15. I'm assuming this is up to date and that I don't have to install the update file.

In either case, it started right up and no screen of any kind popped up to authorize. Is that normal or is something not right? Like I said, everything seems to be working fine but just want to make sure that maybe I'm not missing something.

So far, not finding any bugs at all, which is really surprising because I do understand how complex modulars are.

However, I do have 2 minor nit picks. And I do mean minor.

1. Assigning Mod Wheel - (And this is common for a lot of synths) There is no way to set the minimum value. For example, if I have a filter set to about mid way and use the mod wheel to sweep it, it doesn't sweep the filter from the mid way position. At the bottom position, it completely closes the filter. So the amount of modulation in the matrix will always be from 0 (completely closed) to wherever max value is set. In something like Softube modular, modulation occurs from where you set the filter cutoff to begin with. So having a way to set the minimum value of the filter relative to the mod wheel would be nice.

2. ADSR - Maybe I'm just not finding it, but there doesn't seem to be any dedicated ADSR controls other than manually manipulate the graphic. This isn't a big deal until you try to increase the release time. Because of the default resolution of the ADSR (and I can't find the control to change this IF it exists) changing the release time to a long release requires manually panning the ADSR graphic to the left in increments making fine tune adjustments, repeating the process, until you finally get to a release time you want. I would think something like a knob to control each parameter of the ADSR would be basic but then again, maybe I'm just missing it. But I don't see anything.

Any feedback/info you could give on the 2 items above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, Version 1.0.15 is the latest.

Correct, there is no authorization screen, very low tech for now, only the version updates require a password, which is just a file unzip password, nothing installed in the plugin itself.

Periodically I check the internet for illegal free versions and so far everyone has been honest, so I prefer to make the purchase as easy as possible for first time buyers.

Actually your two suggestions are really good ones.

1) Yes that is correct, the default modulation type (range) for any new modulator is “multiply” which goes from zero to the current dial value. If you increase the mini-dial mod amount on the right side mod slat it adds to the modulation, rather than raising the minimum. This was a tough decision on my part but an important one so that the max range of the mod amount itself can be modulated in over-all intensity, which is the most common case.

In your case (for now) you want to change the Mod Type on the far right side of the mod slat to “Add” (“+”) and set the dial value to the minimum and then increase the mod amount dial until the max range of the modulation on the dial goes to your desired max.

I admit this is not ideal or convenient in your case, and what is really needed is an additional mod type which is basically multiply with the mod amount dial raising the minimum, it’s an easy change so I will add that in 1.0.16.

2) You are very correct on the ADSR, and others have noted the same thing.

Fathom desperately needs a simple version of the ADSR which just places the A,D,S,R knobs directly on the mod slat for easy editing without using a graphical envelope.

The graphical envelope is a massive over-kill for many simple ADSR situations. I’ve been wanting to do this for ages, but its more work.

I will try to get that in by the end of the year. But right now the MAC release has priority over everything else since it will double sales and help continue the project.

In terms of your current workflow with the graphical ADSR, try just clicking and dragging the last point after the black note-off line way way far to the right. The interface is smart enough to extend the release time in the correct proportion even as you drag way outside the entire gui. It might take a couple drags to get a long release time but that’s what I always do, and it should work reasonably well until I can do the simplified ADSR modulator.

P.S. I just ran through the KVR purchase process using paypal and it seems to be fine. I added complete instructions on the web site for members.
www.fathomsynth.com/kvrbuy
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”