VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

OK, I downloaded and tried Fathomsynth 32-bit:

- loaded it in VSTHost, pressed key - no sound

- opened GUI - no presets

Then I realised and downloaded the 64-bit version and found the missing resources. :D

Working fine sofar. No problem adjusting Master Volume or other parameters in real time.

Annoyance: presets must be loaded via 'browser'. No way to step thru them in main GUI. (e.g. by arrow keys)

Quirk: Fathsomsynth Mono cuts out. When I play and hold an 'A' and then play a 'D' when I release the 'D' the note does not revert back to the 'A'. Pity!

CPU usage low to acceptable.

Windows 7, 32-bit on C2D 6600

So, thank you FathomSynth for supporting 32-bit and the generous intro price. That way the full version is an InstaBuy for me. :)

OK, Which Fathom Patch did you load when the master volume cuts out?

The reason in FL studio that "Link to Controller" is grayed out is that FL is trying to ask Fathom what the last parameter is, and Fathom does not expose its parameters to the Host. I can't do this yet because Fathom is fully modular and the parameters can all change when objects are added or deleted, and the VST interface does not allow dynamic parameters, they have to stay the same.

So currently there is no way to do this for a modular synth in VST. (Correction, see post below, I may have a solution to this for you).

Instead you can use any MIDI control from your host and modulate on it inside Fathom, effectively the same thing. Also the granularity for MIDI control into Fathom for modulations is over 300 times per second.

Sorry man, I have no idea what you mean when you say "go back to a patch". If you are talking about going back to something in FL studio, then Fathom has no way to navigate there. If you are talking about inside Fathom. There is no such thing as "going back to a patch." You can preview a patch in the browser. But once you load the patch the entire interface is working on only that patch. There is no where else to go back to. Fathom does not have the ability to work on multiple patches at the same time. Also Fathom does not know about other instances of Fathom, so you can not flip between instances of the VST from inside the VST. You can go to audio component panels by clicking on their icon in the signal flow view.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Folks, I can see that exposing Fathom parameters to the host is important to a lot of you.

So I'm going to figure something out for ye'all.

I think it will be to create all the potential parameters and expose them to the host,
even if the object does not yet exist.

That way you can modulate anything you want in your host.

And the worst that will happen is that Fathom will simply ignore a parameter that does not exist yet.

("And there was much rejoicing!")

FathomSynth wrote:OK, Which Fathom Patch did you load when the master volume cuts out?
I picked 5 patches by random.

In all of them the sound cuts out when I twist the master volume knob.

By this I mean: I have a key pressed on my midi keyboard using for example "Rave Arp" patch, it plays indefinitely as long as I got that key pressed. But if I twist the master volume knob, the sound dies even though I still got the key pressed. I then need to repress the key to make it play it again.

FathomSynth wrote:Fathom does not have the ability to work on multiple patches at the same time. Also Fathom does not know about other instances of Fathom, so you can not flip between instances of the VST from inside the VST. You can go to audio component panels by clicking on their icon in the signal flow view.
It would maybe be good then to have a "save change" option by default, alerting the user when exiting a window in the plug that cannot be recalled.

I mean, having spent some time working on a patch, and then by accident "fat fingers" hitting a button like "Signal Flow". All that work on the the patch is lost, as I cannot get back to it without having saved it :(

I tried the patch Numanoid mentioned but I don't have that problem (with the 32-bit version). When holding a key or using SP I can adjust any parameter in real time and it keeps playing. :)

Numanoid: Darned if you are right! Yes, MIDI finger held notes cut off when the master volume is changed, happens in Ableton also, I will fix for this weeks release.

Numanoid: Fathom should NEVER delete anything just because you clicked on the signal flow view. Something here is very seriously horked, I really wish I could see exactly what you are doing.

I’ve been testing Fathom for 3 years and nothing ever got deleted just by going to the signal flow view? If that happens only in FL studio, that is a very serious bug and I will need to buy FL studio to recreate it.

What exactly is “working on a patch”, are you inside Fathom or FL studio? Fathom should NEVER delete your work, not in a million years.

Maybe could someone else tell me what I am missing here?

I don’t drink during the week, honestly!

Zxant: Yes you need to go into the browser to see presets, there is no where else on the gui to list them. All VST synths I’ve ever used have a preset page. And yes, you can step through them quickly with your down arrow key by clicking on the preview button.

Zxant: Mono does not go back to first note. Yes, you are right on this one. I plan on fixing this soon.

Zxant Sorry about the CPU usage, that will improve when I change the audio code to SIMD.

Zxant Also, I will upload Fathom 32 Bit for the poly paid version today.

FathomSynth wrote:Numanoid: Fathom should NEVER delete anything just because you clicked on the signal flow view. Something here is very seriously horked, I really wish I could see exactly what you are doing.
It is not deleting. That is not what I meant.

But in the case I am working on a patch in Fathom I have not saved, will that not disappear if I go to another section of the plug?

That's correct. Fathom keeps everything saved that you work on.
If you go to the signal flow view and then back into any audio object panel or modulator panel,
then everything should still be there, if not its a bug and I will fix it.

The only thing you need to be careful about is saving the host project before you exit the host.
There are rare cases where you can change something in Fathom,
and the host does not know it, then if you exit the host without saving,
you might lose the last change in Fathom.

But as long as you always save the host project you will be ok,
everything will be the way you left it when you restart the host
and go back into Fathom on any track.

If people want to be able to load Fathom presets and then go back to a previous
program state of Fathom, none of the VST's I use can do that,
but I still can certainly add that in the future.

Thanks!
Everett

FathomSynth wrote:That's correct. Fathom keeps everything saved that you work on. If you go to the signal flow view and then back into any audio object panel or modulator panel, then everything should still be there, if not its a bug and I will fix it.
That is OK.

I have only briefly played with the plug, so spending more time with it will make me more familiar with it, and then these kind of issues may iron themselves out from my user perspective.

Thanks Numanoid, its great to have another FL Studio user on board!

Bought this earlier in the week and enjoying it so far. Quick question though, if one tweaks too far and wants to revert to an earlier version, is there an undo function? Have started saving at each point along the journey but am not always that careful.

FathomSynth wrote:So I'm going to figure something out for ye'all.
Like I already said, IMO the easiest would be something like 8 macro knobs. The you can add the parameters/destinations you want to those 8 macros and you could allow DAW to see those 8 macros.

That way one could add for example oscillator shape from several oscillators to macro 1 and automate it. Hook few filters to macro 2 maybe and automate macro 2.. List goes on.

It would be an easy implement. Now you click for example filter, then add a modulator like adsr. You'd just add macro 1-8 as a modulator. Click -> add modulator -> macro 1

Shonky: You are right, and undo feature would really help, especially on the Wave Draw page.
It will take a little work, so I will add that in the release after this one.

DH: You are a genius! I think you just solved the host parameter problem for me.

I knew I had to expose something for people in the host,
but I was not sure how to name it or package it to make it easily understood.

A series of 8 high speed "Host Macro" 1..8 Parameters is Brilliant!

Users can assign them as modulators anywhere in Fathom,
and then do what ever you wish to automate them in the Host.
And because they are async they will be per sample high speed modulations.

I like it, I will try to add that in this or next release at latest.

I forgot if you mentioned whether Fathom could see note off event from plugin assigned to its input.

Return to “Instruments”