Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
yehboy1
KVRer

9 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Postby yehboy1; Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 pm Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Newbie concern: As someone who has used hardware but is digging the price/features/sound of VSTs and moving in that direction, I'm wondering about replicating the physical availability of several synths at once that I have with hardware.
pdxindy
KVRAF

11977 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

sometimes
egbert101
KVRian

934 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Nope. All you need is a master keyboard, or maybe a small one for sketching out ideas. Unless you want to create performances like you're on a stage, then go for it.
DocAtlas
KVRian

928 posts since 10 Jan, 2006, from Pittsburgh

Postby DocAtlas; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

I prefer using two controllers (or my BX-3 when it's not being used on gigs) for organ work, but for piano or synth stuff, one is sufficient. How many keys your controller needs depends on what you want to do. If you're used to using 61 or 88 note hardware instruments, then a smaller controller may not be to your liking. The kind of things you want to control could affect your choice, too. Some Kontakt libraries have a lot of keyswitches, which can be a pain to use if you have a smaller controller and need to keep switching octaves with a switch or pedal. If you're happy with the hardware you have, and it has midi or usb, then you might do well to use it for a controller until you get more comfortable with virtual instruments and effects.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory
ghettosynth
KVRAF

9256 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Quite often when I'm jamming where I've got two synths setup and I don't want to do any mouse clicking to switch between them. I will also keep multiple controllers setup for playing an instrument in different ways. For example, drum pads or keys. Related, my push is almost always setup and I will often grab a separate controller to play a different patch with more traditional keys. To be clear, I really don't use the push for anything other than a quasi-orthogonal keyboard.
BBFG#
KVRAF

5169 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:01 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Absolutely.
I realized a few years ago that a single controller allows you to 'sketch' and 'draw', but when I arm multiple tracks with separate controllers and added hardware keyboards, I can 'paint'. And when I have the second player also, some really unexpected things can happen.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3650 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Nope. Sometimes I isolate one hardware synth to one midi controller, but my MIDI connections are so complicated I rarely have the patience for that. I have to dive into the settings to change the MIDI channel transmission on my controllers. I've never isolated softsynths to specific MIDI ports for incoming data in Logic (it's not trivial to do that on the track header like it was in Sonar; one thing I find Sonar did better).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
foosnark
KVRAF

3911 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

I'm more into... constructing pieces, than performing them. Some of the pieces I'm constructing from are performed, and sometimes I'm doing live knob tweaks or electro-acoustic stuff etc. while recording from sequence to audio. But one 2-octave mini-keyboard and one set of finger drum pads is plenty for me.
Armagibbon
KVRist

417 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Yep sometimes!
Unless I feel like setting up zones and using just one, and that happens quite a bit when I want to flick the pitch and mod on both at the same time.
V0RT3X
KVRAF

6451 posts since 3 Jul, 2012, from Canada

Postby V0RT3X; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

Yes since I own a Roli Rise 49 and a regular Roland Midi controller.
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2314 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

For now I can't handle one MIDI keyboard they way I would like to... usually just jamming with Push.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
.jon
KVRAF

5204 posts since 8 Jul, 2002, from Helsinki

Postby .jon; Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

All the time, this is from my studio setup:

Thanks KVR 2002-2017. Remember the music.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

9256 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

.jon wrote:All the time, this is from my studio setup:

Does the glittery sweater tickling your nipples provide any sort of inspiration? I mean, if it's reliably, I feel like maybe I should buy fewer plugins and more nipple tickling glittery sweaters.
evilantal
KVRian

599 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 am Re: Soft synth owners: do you use multiple MIDI keyboards to control multiple synths at same time?

I use two...though not always at the same time...

For organ, as mentioned before, having two manuals is best and closest to an actual organ. Otherwise you would need to play in the left and right hand parts separately.

Other than that, I have one controller with a hammer weighted keybed and one with a synth/semi weighted keybed.
Acoustic and electric pianos play best on the hammer action, but organ and playgin is often not very comfortable on a fully weighted keybed. So, I use the two controllers for different duties/sounds also.

For live playing, I always use two for the reason mentioned above and for faster switching/stacking/splitting of sounds.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments