Tone2 Gladiator 2.6 update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gladiator 4

ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:In Electra2, which saw some sound changes compared to ElectraX, the sounds just sounded a bit different.
In other words if your sounds were based on certain sweetspots, the new 'drastically enhanced sound quality' probably ruined everything. Not good if you spent a lot of time doing delicate fine-tweaking until the sounds were just right...
This. Totally.

Think about carefully crafted automation envelopes to, let's say, filter cutoff freq to discover that now the filter behaves differently...

Feels like a deja-vu on a similar discussion when Tone2 did something similar, IIRC it was on Firebird.

I didn't like that much the answer (no compatibility mode, just take the "improved" sound as it is in the newer version and that's it).

- Mario

bmanic wrote:Well.. I managed to salvage the preset by loading an automatic backup that Reaper created.

Man, I had forgotten just how good a pad machine this thing is. I had an awesome pad going with just a little tinkering (and tons of fine tuning so that I could "play it" precisely on my crappy iRig keys).

Gladiator 2 Pad Improv

That's all Gladiator 2 + a compressor (Violet from the N4 library) and DMG Limitless on the master to catch any possible peaks.
Gorgeous, bmanic! :)

did anyone test the new version yet? how is it and does it sound really much different?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I played around with it for a couple of hours. Yes it sounds "better". Seems to have a little more body in the low and mid range. The effects have improved, particularly the reverb sounds nice. It seems a tiny bit more CPU efficient too. Like, around a 3 percent drop on Live's meter, compared to the previous version

ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:In Electra2, which saw some sound changes compared to ElectraX, the sounds just sounded a bit different.
In other words if your sounds were based on certain sweetspots, the new 'drastically enhanced sound quality' probably ruined everything. Not good if you spent a lot of time doing delicate fine-tweaking until the sounds were just right...

On the other hand im all for making improvements when necessary, especially when the plugin has fundamental flaws that ought to be fixed no matter what. (XILS-lab and XILS3 spring to mind.) They are aware that the waveshaping isnt working like it does on the real VCS3, yet they consider not breaking existing presets to be more important than making those VCOs behave like on the real synth. And thats obviously not good either, especially when a plugin is supposed to be an emulation of something.

Best middle-road solution in my opinion: When in doubt, release a new version with a new VST ID so that old and new can coexist. Existing presets will continue to sound unaltered in the old version while the new version has all the error corrections, bugfixes, enhancements, whatever. That way everyone should be happy.
Yeah, that's the way to go, for sure. No need to stop progress for the sake of compatibility.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Exactly.

I mean i absolutely do understand that having to fix a lot of presets is not something anyone would look forward to, (heck i wouldnt either), but then presets at least CAN be fixed or recreated whereas things like VCOs just are what they are and if they are fundamentally flawed then thats what they will continue to be. Worries about a bunch of old presets should therefore not be a reason to deliberately leave an emulation in a state of inaccuracy forever.

sounds with drastic sound changes, i think i will rename this version to v2 or something
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

bmanic wrote:Found an extremely weird bug. I can not type the letter 'm' when I try to name a preset I created. The capital 'M' works just fine though. Very strange.

EDIT: Also.. my preset isn't loading up properly. Man I really hope this isn't any copy protection shenanigans that have broken down. :x

i always had this with some letter(s),dont know what exactly

I'm seeing the UI response has gone to total crap. Slllooooooooower than a slug in molasses in January. CPU use is fine. I'm on a garden variety Dell running the latest Windows. It's become unusable.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yeah something has gone horribly wrong with the underlying graphics system for the GUI.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

doesnt sound good, i will wait with the update

I don't think it's a bug... I see that it won't work bugfree on some computers, but on others it works perfectly! As everyone knows I'm sure, Tone2 is a very exclusive club by design. It may have been a dream but I'm sure Markus himself told me I'm not allowed to buy his plugins because my computer is not one of the chosen ones.. be sure to meet the computational requirements to properly utilitze Tone2's most sophisticated plugins...and remember, all Tone2 bugs are actually intended features.. they are that good :D
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

I don't have any GUI issues thus far either on my mac or pc with 2.6
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:I don't have any GUI issues thus far either on my mac or pc with 2.6
rsp
Try this (just to confirm):

Select any preset.. then hit the "rename button" and type 'mmmmmmkay'. Does it allow you to type the letter 'm' into the naming field?

Also, try moving through the LFO shapes quickly and see if the mouse clicks are properly registered. So if you go 'click, click, click', do the LFO shapes actually change at the same pace? For me it's lagging behind.. seemingly randomly.

Note: This could all be related to Reaper + Gladiator 2.6.. some kind of odd combination. Once I get back to work I'll try it in other DAWs as well and see if the problem persists.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thanks for the naming bug heads up!

Neither in Live 9.6 nor Logic X Pro 10.2.2 (Mac OS 10.9.5) will Gladiator 2.6 allow any renaming of patches. Whatever I type, using SHIFT or not, nothing appears in the Name field which stays blank.

It seems to have to do with Gladiator not assuming keyboard focus while in Rename mode. Whatever I do (with MIDI screen 'keyboards' turned off), key presses only affect DAW functions.

Gladiator II isn't one of my fave synths, probably to do with most presets being drowned in verb and delays and with amp envelopes having Release at 3 o'clock… So, it would be nice to edit a lot of sounds to become playable in my context – being able to rename in-synth would be useful…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”