Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

If you're looking for strings, pianos, and that sort of thing, you might consider the orchestral essentials line from projectsam. Excellent sound design, highly playable, lightweight, and lets you work quite fast. It is of course orchestral, so it won't fill out a rock setup, but really Omni isn't the trick there either (or any synth for that matter). But if you're just looking for more "real" sounding instruments, OE is a great candidate.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

dellboy wrote:Forgive my ignorance,but what stops Halion 6 doing the stuff that Omni 2 does?

I have just been fiddling around with the Halion 6 demo,and it can sample from practially any source,apparently even its own internal instruments.

How long would it take to knock up the weird sound a person needs ?

Bespoke versus off the shelf ?

Halion 6 is cheaper,and crucially,it has a (rather large download) demo.
Omnisphere is all about the presets, like Nexus but more knobs to mangle the sound. It was even a ROMpler up until version 2! But the presets are godly. It's the kinda thing you load de-facto into your template because you know you're somehow going to use it at least once in every project for pads, bass, piano, rhythm, sfx or a little cheese or sweetness.

Halion 6 is more competition for the likes of Falcon and Kontakt but kinda lame content-wise. I guess if you haven't married yourself to Kontakt already, give Halion a go? The sampler feature is supposed to be a big deal (I guess?) so if you don't already have other tools for it, there's some added value.

Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets, like Nexus but more knobs to mangle the sound. It was even a ROMpler up until version 2!
I'll confess I'm going through a major downer on KVR at the moment due to posts like this that are flat out plain wrong, presented as incontrovertible fact. Alternative facts, if you will. [insert heavy sigh here to have to type these words yet again] Omni has never been a ROMpler. It is quite unlike Nexus, where it is indeed all about the presets and basic tweaks on them. Omni always had a capable VA engine. Omni 2 of course greatly expanded on it.

Can't speak for Falcon as I don't own it, but it looks very capable and versatile, indeed covering a lot of the same ground as Omni. Both have different emphasis of course - Falcon would I'm sure be better at the sampling side of things, Omni would likely have a big lead for soundsources and patches, and browser functionality. But both I'd have thought would be great for sound design.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets, like Nexus but more knobs to mangle the sound. It was even a ROMpler up until version 2!
I'll confess I'm going through a major downer on KVR at the moment due to posts like this that are flat out plain wrong, presented as incontrovertible fact. Alternative facts, if you will. [insert heavy sigh here to have to type these words yet again] Omni has never been a ROMpler. It is quite unlike Nexus, where it is indeed all about the presets and basic tweaks on them. Omni always had a capable VA engine. Omni 2 of course greatly expanded on it.

Can't speak for Falcon as I don't own it, but it looks very capable and versatile, indeed covering a lot of the same ground as Omni. Both have different emphasis of course - Falcon would I'm sure be better at the sampling side of things, Omni would likely have a big lead for soundsources and patches, and browser functionality. But both I'd have thought would be great for sound design.
+1000 on this place driving me crazy because of idiotic posts.

As for the comparisons between the synths, maybe when I have time I'll do one.

Apparently if you repeat falsehoods loudly and frequently enough they become 'facts'.
Not only here...

sigh.
rsp
sound sculptist

noiseboyuk wrote:

What, you don't think Omni's just a fancy Nexus? Next you're gonna tell me dithering won't make my mixes any better!

You people...

wagtunes wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:
I'll confess I'm going through a major downer on KVR at the moment due to posts like this that are flat out plain wrong, presented as incontrovertible fact. Alternative facts, if you will. [insert heavy sigh here to have to type these words yet again]
+1000 on this place driving me crazy because of idiotic posts.
You guys don't get out much huh.

Armagibbon wrote:You guys don't get out much huh.
Yeah! Huh! Ha ha, yeah you got us - those sad dudes who sit inside all day believing in facts and not making stuff up like all the cool kids!
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Armagibbon wrote: Omnisphere is all about the presets
And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:

I wouldn't go so far as calling either side of that debate 'idiotic', but what I do find laughable every time this comes up... is that the term 'ROMpler' is somehow a bad thing that destroys any valid use of the plugin. I won't call It a ROMpler or even RAMpler at this point, but it still sure reminds me of every ROMpler I've ever owned. So what?

I do understand how easy it is to rile up an apologetic though.

BBFG# wrote:I wouldn't go so far as calling either side of that debate 'idiotic', but what I do find laughable every time this comes up... is that the term 'ROMpler' is somehow a bad thing that destroys any valid use of the plugin. It sure reminds me of every ROMpler I've ever owned. So what?

I do understand how easy it is to rile up an apologetic though.
There's nothing wrong with cars, but that doesn't mean it makes sense calling a tree one. My issue is very very simple - it isn't, wasn't, never has nor ever will be a ROMpler, because since day one it's always had a VA engine. Yes, it really is as simple as that.

But hey, teach the controversy, right?

Oh dear, there I go with those facts again. Apparently it makes me an apologetic (classic debating technique - give something an impressive name, and it a) makes you look smart and b) denigrates the opponent without ever c) engaging with the argument).

Well, it's been fun - yet again - baiting us humourless sunless fact-lovers, but lovely thought this all is, it's my bedtime. Night all.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the side that says Omni is a synthesizer. And a damn powerful one at that. It can do things that a Minimoog (something everybody agrees is a synthesizer) couldn't even dream of doing in a million years. I mean have you ever looked at Omni's synth engine?

So why is it a rompler? Because it has samples?

It's the most absurd argument for why something is a rompler that I've ever heard in my life.

But as has already been said, I guess some people don't care about facts and just make up their own facts.

So are wavetable synths are rompler too?
(....some fuel in the fire :D )

aMUSEd wrote:
Armagibbon wrote: Omnisphere is all about the presets
And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:
Not WITH Omnisphere. Burning pianos and shit.

Let's call it a 'preset browser with cool effects' and put an end to this useless debate, 'k?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”