Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Cinebient
KVRAF
 
2471 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

sfxsound3 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets


And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:


Not WITH Omnisphere. Burning pianos and shit.

Let's call it a 'preset browser with cool effects' and put an end to this useless debate, 'k?


Like every other synth in the world! Sure! Let´s go!
So you could delete all the sample content....then something magic happen.....Omnisphere transform into a synthesizer! :o
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8733 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:45 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Cinebient wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets


And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:


Not WITH Omnisphere. Burning pianos and shit.

Let's call it a 'preset browser with cool effects' and put an end to this useless debate, 'k?


Like every other synth in the world! Sure! Let´s go!
So you could delete all the sample content....then something magic happen.....Omnisphere transform into a synthesizer! :o


Actually, yes. I could make an entire sound library just using the waveforms and none of the samples and it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there. Unique? No, but a synthesiser none the less.
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
5208 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

wagtunes wrote:... it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there.


Well, that's a bit much.
Not even everyone in the congregation believes that.
Maybe save that for one of the other regular debates?
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8733 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

BBFG# wrote:
wagtunes wrote:... it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there.


Well, that's a bit much.
Not even everyone in the congregation believes that.
Maybe save that for one of the other regular debates?


And what if it's not the greatest sounding synth ever made? Does that make it not a synth?

What, the MInimoog sounds better than every synth in existence? And if you say it does then does that mean all the other synths are not synths?

Most ridiculous argument I've heard since coming to this nut farm.

And that's saying a lot.

Omni not a synth. Please.
Cinebient
KVRAF
 
2471 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

wagtunes wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets


And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:


Not WITH Omnisphere. Burning pianos and shit.

Let's call it a 'preset browser with cool effects' and put an end to this useless debate, 'k?


Like every other synth in the world! Sure! Let´s go!
So you could delete all the sample content....then something magic happen.....Omnisphere transform into a synthesizer! :o


Actually, yes. I could make an entire sound library just using the waveforms and none of the samples and it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there. Unique? No, but a synthesiser none the less.


It even has 400+ wavetables.
But it seems a lot people think that they are forced to use only the sample content and didn´t even saw that there is a synth engine included too. On top of that a very powerful modulation, you can tune the synth for microtonal or whatever scale you want (via .tun files) and it has some performence tricks no other synths has (or nearly no) via the live and/or stack mode.
The mod envelopes also has some great features i find nowhere else.
But maybe there must be more to be a real synth?
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8733 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:10 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Here you go guys. Right from the dictionary.

syn·the·siz·er
ˈsinTHəˌsīzər
noun

an electronic musical instrument, typically operated by a keyboard, producing a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8733 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Cinebient wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Omnisphere is all about the presets


And those presets were made how exactly? :lol:


Not WITH Omnisphere. Burning pianos and shit.

Let's call it a 'preset browser with cool effects' and put an end to this useless debate, 'k?


Like every other synth in the world! Sure! Let´s go!
So you could delete all the sample content....then something magic happen.....Omnisphere transform into a synthesizer! :o


Actually, yes. I could make an entire sound library just using the waveforms and none of the samples and it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there. Unique? No, but a synthesiser none the less.


It even has 400+ wavetables.
But it seems a lot people think that they are forced to use only the sample content and didn´t even saw that there is a synth engine included too. On top of that a very powerful modulation, you can tune the synth for microtonal or whatever scale you want (via .tun files) and it has some performence tricks no other synths has (or nearly no) via the live and/or stack mode.
The mod envelopes also has some great features i find nowhere else.
But maybe there must be more to be a real synth?


We need to learn to stop feeding the trolls and the idiots.
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
5208 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

wagtunes wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
wagtunes wrote:... it would sound as good as any other synthesiser out there.


Well, that's a bit much.
Not even everyone in the congregation believes that.
Maybe save that for one of the other regular debates?

And what if it's not the greatest sounding synth ever made? Does that make it not a synth?
What, the MInimoog sounds better than every synth in existence? And if you say it does then does that mean all the other synths are not synths?
Most ridiculous argument I've heard since coming to this nut farm.
And that's saying a lot.
Omni not a synth. Please.


Not an argument, just pointing out that I regularly read on these forums that many Omni users prefer other plugins over it when doing VA. I'm not even saying it doesn't have a synth engine as others imply I am, just that the term ROMpler triggers this choir far too easily. Why? Does that somehow cheapen every aspect of it? I don't think so. Why do some believe ROMplers have no value? It is what it is and it does have more than a single component. Wouldn't it be simpler to just say, "yes, it's a ROMpler... and a Wavetable... and a Virtual Analog... and a Granular... "? And then not caught up so easily into this debate yet again?
Cinebient
KVRAF
 
2471 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

It´s a "power synth" :hihi:
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
5208 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Cinebient wrote:It´s a "power synth" :hihi:

Just as much as "Coke - it's the real thing."
:hihi:
dellboy
KVRist
 
243 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Postby dellboy; Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

wagtunes wrote:I'm sorry but I have to agree with the side that says Omni is a synthesizer. And a damn powerful one at that. It can do things that a Minimoog (something everybody agrees is a synthesizer) couldn't even dream of doing in a million years. I mean have you ever looked at Omni's synth engine?





No,I have never looked at Omnis engine. Why ? because there is no demo.

The demo is handing over a wadge of cash.

And no,I do not want to go into a store to demo it with a salesman hovering over me.

Now if it was a proper synth it would not require a 60 gig download.

From the little I have read it appears to be good old S+S,just like Eric Persing used in the Roland D50,but with every other type of synth mangling thingies thrown in to wash things around a little.

As for saying that it can do things a Minimoog could never do,well it would be the first digital synth to generate real analogue waveforms that I have ever heard of.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8733 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

dellboy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I'm sorry but I have to agree with the side that says Omni is a synthesizer. And a damn powerful one at that. It can do things that a Minimoog (something everybody agrees is a synthesizer) couldn't even dream of doing in a million years. I mean have you ever looked at Omni's synth engine?





No,I have never looked at Omnis engine. Why ? because there is no demo.

The demo is handing over a wadge of cash.

And no,I do not want to go into a store to demo it with a salesman hovering over me.

Now if it was a proper synth it would not require a 60 gig download.

From the little I have read it appears to be good old S+S,just like Eric Persing used in the Roland D50,but with every other type of synth mangling thingies thrown in to wash things around a little.

As for saying that it can do things a Minimoog could never do,well it would be the first digital synth to generate real analogue waveforms that I have ever heard of.


So let me make sure I understand this. If a synth doesn't generate real analogue waveforms, it's not a synth.

Gotcha.
User avatar
Vectorman
KVRian
 
1235 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Michigan, USA

Postby Vectorman; Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Even if you never touched the sample content, you could cover FAR more ground synthesizing sounds from scratch with Omnisphere than you could with a synth like Sylenth. If anything, Sylenth's actual voice architecture is considerably more ROMpler-esque (in the sense of being limited) despite it not having a sample pool available as oscillator material. But it doesn't use multisamples, so Sylenth is always called a "synth." I guess it's a matter of how you look at things.
Armagibbon
KVRist
 
462 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

Cinebient wrote:So are wavetable synths are rompler too?
(....some fuel in the fire :D )

You bet! Well unless it's Serum, then it's GOD'S ROMPLER.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
9624 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm Re: Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

The thing with Omnisphere is that they are using something like "The Wire" technology where the sounds coming from the synth engine are carefully tuned such that certain resonances owing to particular kinds of phase distortion are minimized. It really is something quite special, not all synths have this.

It's pretty clear to my ears anyway, and there is a demo now, try it for yourself.

PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments