Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

A little update from my site!

I won't get Omnisphere. I'm a hobbyist and things need to stay in a a certain realm of reason, whatever that means to someone recently spending way too much time on KVR again! ;)

I also didn't purchase Halion Sonic. Overall, the things I liked the most are the pianos, the string ensemble and the granular engine named Skylab. I covered those needs, buying a combo of The Giant (great because of the odd site to it) from someone at KVR, the Sonivox Strings in a (leftover?) $1 promotion deal (does the job) and MMultiband Granular (once I got over my inital awkwardness with Melda UIs, this thing is simply put, great). I then went to buy Prism on top of that, which must be the most overlooked synth for me personally. What a gem!

I do like semi-real and hybrid sounds. Even though I want to keep my overall plug-in count low, I somehow appreciate the *deal factor* from the single items more, compared to buying that *one stop for all* I had in mind.

I canceled my Absynth sale and also picked up Massive again, mainly because thanks to a group buy I had numerous banks from Leap Into The Void for both, which excels in atmospheric, drones and all things that fall in between, to fill that last gap of *I think I could need something in that area*. Turns out I will again sell Absynth. I feel odd just using preset mutation, skipping through sounds and Massive is one of the most bizarre *relations* I had with a synth, but it's in better hands somewhere else.

Last, from where this thread actually started, I exchanged Spire for Hive as my *go to* synth, but that's a totally different subject overall... :hihi:

So, things I thought I would buy:
Omnisphere 2 or
Halion Sonic 3

Stuff that I actually picked up and will keep:
NI The Giant
NI Prism
SONiVOX OC Strings
Melda MMultibandGranular

Last wish-listed item to get:
Bazille (Don't ask!) ;)

Isn't GAS beautiful... :borg:

Now, lovely KVR people, you may continue with what Omnisphere 2 is or isn't or how the OP started with A and ended up doing Y. ;)

Very good Emotica, I hope amid all the flailing you found some useful information in this thread and have fun with the gear.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Before you go for Bazille (my least favourite u-he synth) consider little old u-he ACE, which is one of those underestimated :hihi: synths. Also consider waiting around for the Windows port of Pulsarmodular Pulsar 900 Series Modular, which is a kind of high quality Moog Modular emulation. A lot of us are waiting for this thing to drop sometime this year or next.

https://www.pulsarmodular.com/products/
https://www.u-he.com/cms/ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ATampDCwY
Thanks for the link! ;)

Actually, I own ACE already. The idea was the same - getting ACE as in cheaper and probably easier, before getting Bazille, but honestly Bazille just makes me... happier. ;) That's with using BazilleCM since a year and having the demo of the full version along with it the whole time.

its interesting the pricing of Omnisphere 2 / Keyscape - I think they are both good value (I have Omnisphere 2 - considering Keyscape) - but over here in the UK - each each is about £275

I think thats a lot cheaper than elsewhere ?

Buckster wrote:its interesting the pricing of Omnisphere 2 / Keyscape - I think they are both good value (I have Omnisphere 2 - considering Keyscape) - but over here in the UK - each each is about £275

I think thats a lot cheaper than elsewhere ?
I guess that's the physical package? Or maybe Omnisphere 2 is only be available as a physical item? It's around £35 cheaper than in Sweden.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

noiseboyuk wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Yeah, you see what you did was get offended at an opinion and try to "correct" it to your own. You're acting like facts and opinions are the same things unless you're the one pissing em out, see?

You know why I think Omni is more rompler than synth? Because the sample presets from Atmosphere, Trilian, Keyscape and co are great and the synth parts are a tabbed up clusterf*ck that I can't imagine anyone would try to use over a decent one-page-wonder. To me, the synth part of Omni isn't even worth mentioning. But, hey! That's just my perspective and an opinion, but you took my word like I meant it as global law and gave my post (the post of an internet nobody) enough weight to trip your hair-triggered feelings.

That's what I mean by "get out more". I'm saying you need more experience with differing perspectives, because you sure as hell don't get that concept. And that might just be the only fact in this thread right now.
Let's try slowly, Armagibbon.

Fact
noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

Opinion
noun
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm not quite sure why you think I'm confused between the two, Armageddon, I really am not. I commented a few posts up on someone's opinion, saying I was old fashioned enough to think people are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts. I didn't agree with those opinions, but thats life. So... just a bit confused as to how I need more experience on differing perspectives? I'm not exactly impartial I realise, but I seem to get different views here on this thread, don't I? Where I become more unreasonable is when you invented a fact, not stated an opinion.

I see you're now trying to suggest you meant it was MORE of a ROMpler than a synth (are you quite sure it's me who is confused about this concepts, Armageddon?). To bolster this argument, you claim that you don't like the Omni VA because it uses tabs... is that right? OK, thats an opinion, all good. I don't share it, but that's neither here nor there. So let me see if I now have it right - you don't like the VA engine of Omni much, but that must mean that you're happy to admit that Omni is not simply a ROMpler? Right? That you stated something as fact (maybe a bit in haste, that's ok), when you meant you didn't think the VA side of it was up to much?

Do you know, maybe we can clear all this up, it can't be too hard, surely?

Just on the subject of the VA, interested to know if you've seen the Diego Stocco video I linked a few posts up. May not be to your taste, but he's doing things that a "one page wonder" couldn't do, surely?
Can you miss the point any further? Holy hell you're so far stuck up your own ass you can't even spell my name right. I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this to you if you're gonna keep being a bonehead, but here goes:

My first post in this thread? That was opinion. You took it as fact.

Get the f*ck outside more.

lol dis thread. Is there any place in the internet with a larger collection of limper wrists than KVR? Maybe Reddit...

Omnisphere is fine for what is is, great even, but nobody would ever buy it without the bundled content, and it will never be sold without it. It is THE SYNTH for toothbrush commercial music because, as Dostoevsky put it, "fashion is the great queen of civilization," and the Omni sound is in fashion for that sort of thing. Sure, it has other applications -- what doesn't? -- but this is clearly it's raison detre, ljl at anyone who pops a blood vessel over this.

People get so butt mad over this obvious truth.
Last edited by aumordia on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

emotica wrote:I canceled my Absynth sale and also picked up Massive again, mainly because thanks to a group buy I had numerous banks from Leap Into The Void for both, which excels in atmospheric, drones and all things that fall in between, to fill that last gap of *I think I could need something in that area*. Turns out I will again sell Absynth. I feel odd just using preset mutation, skipping through sounds and Massive is one of the most bizarre *relations* I had with a synth, but it's in better hands somewhere else.

Last, from where this thread actually started, I exchanged Spire for Hive as my *go to* synth, but that's a totally different subject overall... :hihi:

So, things I thought I would buy:
Omnisphere 2 or
Halion Sonic 3

Stuff that I actually picked up and will keep:
NI The Giant
NI Prism
SONiVOX OC Strings
Melda MMultibandGranular

Last wish-listed item to get:
Bazille (Don't ask!) ;)
Granulator? You're into mangling sounds huh.
While you're at it, give Polyverse Manipulator a go on any monophonic material. Even poly stuff comes out awesome but can be hard to make deterministic for export.

It's not just for vocals, man. Changing the formant and pitch of a synth with manipulator while riding the source pitchbend is nuts. Throw on some fm and mod the ratio with an lfo for more crazy without ear-shredding edge. Try it!

aumordia wrote:lol dis thread. Is there any place in the internet with a larger collection of limpet wrists than KVR? Maybe Reddit...

Omnisphere is fine for what is is, great even, but nobody would ever buy it without the bundled content, and it will never be sold without it. It is THE SYNTH for toothbrush commercial music because, as Dostoevsky put it, "fashion is the great queen of civilization," and the Omni sound is in fashion for that sort of thing. Sure, it has other applications -- what doesn't? -- but this is clearly it's raison detre, ljl at anyone who pops a blood vessel over this.

People get so butt mad over this obvious truth.
No arguments from me. That's what Omni excels at. And yes, atr $500, nobody in their right mind would buy it without all that contact. In fact, only reason I bought it at all was because I sold a bunch of hardware synths I wasn't using to be able to afford it. No way in hell do I have spend $500 on a synth unless I can essentially get it for nothing.

What drives me crazy, however, is when people say Omni is not a synthesizer. These people need to look up the definition in the dictionary.

Greatest synth ever made? From a purely VA perspective, not even close. While its filters are good, they are not the best I've ever heard. Right there, that disqualifies it.

But not a synth? That's like saying Ruth Buzzy playing the old lady isn't a woman because she's ugly.

But the stupidity in this thread will continue because people want to insinuate their opinion as fact.

Maybe they should run for POTUS.

Armagibbon wrote:Can you miss the point any further? Holy hell you're so far stuck up your own ass you can't even spell my name right. I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this to you if you're gonna keep being a bonehead, but here goes:

Well this has been as fun as it has been charming, but alas the thread seems to have reached a natural conclusion with the OP having made his choices, and thus all good things must come to an end. In conclusion from my side then, when you wrote "Omni 1 was a ROMpler", that was an incorrect statement of fact, not of opinion, and merely the latest repeat of this silly anti-fact nonsense that some folks on KVR have been trolling for a decade now. Sadly we seemed to have made little progress on that basic point, but that's Donald Trump's 2017 I guess.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my head and ass have more interesting ways to spend the rest of this fine Saturday evening - who knows, I may even end up outside, which would no doubt do me the power of good. All the very best to you, Armagibbon (and apologies for any mis-spelling on the way) - peace, love, understanding and all that jazz.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Can you miss the point any further? Holy hell you're so far stuck up your own ass you can't even spell my name right. I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain this to you if you're gonna keep being a bonehead, but here goes:

Well this has been as fun as it has been charming, but alas the thread seems to have reached a natural conclusion with the OP having made his choices, and thus all good things must come to an end. In conclusion from my side then, when you wrote "Omni 1 was a ROMpler", that was an incorrect statement of fact, not of opinion, and merely the latest repeat of this silly anti-fact nonsense that some folks on KVR have been trolling for a decade now. Sadly we seemed to have made little progress on that basic point, but that's Donald Trump's 2017 I guess.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my head and ass have more interesting ways to spend the rest of this fine Saturday evening - who knows, I may even end up outside, which would no doubt do me the power of good. All the very best to you, Armagibbon (and apologies for any mis-spelling on the way) - peace, love, understanding and all that jazz.
Yeah, get off it. How you people manage to operate in the real world is a goddamn mystery.

The answer to the mystery is that they don't.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Does Omnisphere work well for space orchestra sounds? I have a project that will sound like the band in the original Star Wars, only more orchestral. Sort of like Star Wars meets The 5th Element, kind of. I want the sounds to be believable, but, otherworldly.

I'll give my opinion. Omnisphere is praised highly by a lot of pro artists. I'll buy it once I have done justice to what I own, and deserve to get it because I have enough money; and my music is great made with what I have now. Don't have to analyze it much. Simple plan. Something to look forward to

Return to “Instruments”