Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

IMO, Omnisphere 2 would be a solid addition to your VSTi collection. It can cover a lot of sonic territory. Nevertheless, for the purchase price, there are other options to consider, such as UVI Falcon.

aumordia wrote:. Omnisphere 2 is a terrible source of acoustic instruments, a good source of absurdly non-traditional instruments (WE LIT A PIANO ON FIRE *guzzles mountain dew* EXTREMELY RADICAL DUDE), and a passable source of vintage sounds and odds-n-ends.
You know what....I agree.
Get Kontakt for those acoustic instruments, cause let's be honest, no synth does those well.

For vintage sounds The Legend, Diva, Arturia's range does a better job.
And if you only need standard subtractive synth sounds, things like Sylenth are better and cheaper.

Omnisphere excels at pads, soundscapes, textures and 'almost real, but not quite' instruments such as bowed bicycle wheel, marbles in tin can, rubber band bass etc. If you would never use such sounds in your music, you'd probably be better of with something else. Me, as a TV/media composer that have to cover a large range of styles, it's an absolute goldmine and I hardly ever make a track without it.

egbert101 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5medERkHG4

Surprisingly, this video is not a parody.
I'm still kicking myself for not recording the sound of a door closing in a place I had worked at 20 years ago. Every time I went through it and it shut behind me, it just sounded so dark and ominous.

The place went out of business last month, so I'll never get the chance to now. :dog:
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Armadillo wrote:
layzer wrote:
Armadillo wrote: I really don't think it's expensive for what it is. What other synth have over 7.000 patches and 60 GB of content?
bloat, pal.

it reminds me of my grandparents that have every closet and storage area stuffed with
crap that they "might use someday" learn to sound design and go on a HDD diet FFS.
Sorry but 60 GB is nothing. You can get a 4 TB HDD for just over £100. That's £1.50 for storage space for Omnisphere. I really don't get why anyone complain about size these days :neutral:
Sound design... Nah, I'd rather leave that to the experts and concentrate on what I do best, which is composing. Each to his own.
I don't want a 4 TB HDD... nor to spend lots of time looking through all the stuff on it.

pdxindy wrote:
Armadillo wrote:
layzer wrote:
Armadillo wrote: I really don't think it's expensive for what it is. What other synth have over 7.000 patches and 60 GB of content?
bloat, pal.

it reminds me of my grandparents that have every closet and storage area stuffed with
crap that they "might use someday" learn to sound design and go on a HDD diet FFS.
Sorry but 60 GB is nothing. You can get a 4 TB HDD for just over £100. That's £1.50 for storage space for Omnisphere. I really don't get why anyone complain about size these days :neutral:
Sound design... Nah, I'd rather leave that to the experts and concentrate on what I do best, which is composing. Each to his own.
I don't want a 4 TB HDD... nor to spend lots of time looking through all the stuff on it.
At the risk of going around in circles.... Omnisphere's browser is excellent, and you can narrow down to a 'pad and strings' -> 'analog classics' -> 'ambient' or a 'synth poly' -> 'bells and chimes' -> 'old school' etc. pretty quickly and then just go through the 50 or so patches that you are left with. Sure, it could be improved, but you don't have to go through 7.000 patches when you have a good idea of what you are looking for. Add to that, the 'sound lock' and 'sound match' features and you can get in the ballpark really quickly.

Is 7.000 too many? I don't know. If you release a synth with 200 patches people complain it's too few, so what's the ideal number? Personally, I can't have too many - I just narrow them down and pick from the few remaining.

7,000 patches won't help you create the musical equivalent of the Sistine Chapel. It will, however, help you efficiently score an infomercial.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

wagtunes wrote:Why didn't Mozart just save all that effort in determining what instruments should play what parts and just write one part for just piano?
All symphonies start in the most stark and basic form.

Beethhovens 5th symphony opening motif is just 4 notes long,and yet most people instantly recognise it.

He probably composed it at his piano.

And then he turned to Omni 2 to finish it. :lol:

wagtunes wrote:Why didn't Mozart just save all that effort in determining what instruments should play what parts and just write one part for just piano?
Lol I'd ask "are you serious" but of course you are. If you are sincerely interested in the answer to this question perhaps you should consider studying the norms of composition and orchestration (two different concepts) in the common practice era. A good text is Laitz's "Complete Musician."

But I'll attempt to answer your question in brief: Generally speaking, after getting an idea, Mozart would then post a notice on the door of his favorite local inn, declaring something to the effect of "18th Century Opera Project: Which Instruments?" and then
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:
Lol I'd ask "are you serious" but of course you are. If you are sincerely interested in the answer to this question perhaps you should consider studying the norms of composition and orchestration (two different concepts) in the common practice era. A good text is Laitz's "Complete Musician."

But I'll attempt to answer your question in brief: Generally speaking, after getting an idea, Mozart would then post a notice on the door of his favorite local inn, declaring something to the effect of "18th Century Opera Project: Which Instruments?" and then
For your information wise ass, I have a music degree. That's my point. There is a reason we don't just throw our hands up in the air and go "f**k it! I think I'll write this one on a Flugelhorn.

That isn't to say you can't use traditional instruments to do some crazy shit (Rite Of Spring comes to mind) but I'll be damned if I'm going to set out to write a symphony for steel drums.

This place gets more and more absurd every single day.

xfgjcgfhkcvhjlkvyhiuoygvuiouip
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have omnisphere and u-he and Softube synths you are better off getting Keyscape to go with synths. Omnisphere has a lot of wired stuff while Keyscape and Trilian give you real sampled instruments that omnisphere and synthesizers won't do.

Okay, I had to go and read the OP again...carefully.

Omni is not for you. Get Komplete. It will provide you with everything that you're looking for.

Eclectus wrote:I have owned Atmosphere and Omnisphere 1. I sold Atmosphere, and was drawn in again with the release of Omnisphere 1. Which I have given away to a good friend meanwhile. While I agree that some presets sound awesome - while all you do is hold a key for a minute!- after really working with these products I came to dislike them.

- I never liked the interface. While at first it looks big and friendly, I started to notice that I had to dive from a tabbed interface into submenu's a lot. In some submenu's there's another submenu. This fragmented location of important synth parameters got on my nerves. So it certainly isn't the fastest synth to program. Also, there's a lot of unused white space that could have been put to good use.
- The plethora of samples on offer seems at first like a godsend. These samples require almost no effort to work into a patch. However, these samples are so processed that most of them really stand out in a mix. I find that Omnisphere doesn't always play nice with other synths because of overprocessing in it's base samples. If you only have Omnisphere, this will of course not be a problem. But blending it with other instruments often led me to create a similar patch in another synth - it was often easier than trying to get Omnisphere to play nice.
- Going from Atmosphere to Omnisphere, they added a lot of experimental samples and patches, none of which I liked. There is a dropdown in the browser to browse only atmosphere patches - after a while I started using it like that, because to me, that is where the gold is.
- The VA engine they added in Omnisphere sounds cold and sharp to my ears. When trying to make patches without samples I was often disgusted at the (at best) mediocre quality of the filters. While there are many on offer, they just couldn't do what I wanted them to do. I much prefered the filters of other VA synths, like Diva, Tyrell or Dune 2.
That's why I decided to give it away instead of upgrading to v2. And I never regretted it. YMMV

I agree with so much of this and anything I differ on still comes out as the same really. e.g. I'm 'okay' with the GUI, but it has always seemed to be almost a nod to bad eastern block synths from the 50's. What you call 'cold and harsh', I refer to as 'sterile'. I find the analogy I most often use to describe it is 'the Velveeta in a world of great cheeses'. So yeah, 'over-processed' nails it IMO also. I feel that what they've added to it over time is 'bloat'. But with those last two statements, I have to remember the amount of people I regularly see in restaurants paying $12.00 for an 8 oz. cup of mac & cheese. (I'm pretty sure I have a box of it myself in the back of the pantry, but have no desire to even look for it as long as I have better and healthier options still in my refrigerator.)
Yeah, even though I feel Omni is 'okay', I have too many things I like better.

Armadillo wrote: If you are looking for realistic sounding guitars in Omnisphere I don't know why you bought it?
No synth provides realistic guitars.
I was not, nor ever stated that I was looking for realistic guitars (I play guitar for that) , I was simply pointing them out as a readily available example of garbage filler patches in Omnisphere. Each to their own, clearly you like it, I'm not impressed much.

Eclectus wrote: - The VA engine they added in Omnisphere sounds cold and sharp to my ears. When trying to make patches without samples I was often disgusted at the (at best) mediocre quality of the filters. While there are many on offer, they just couldn't do what I wanted them to do. I much prefered the filters of other VA synths, like Diva, Tyrell or Dune 2.
Don't say that too loudly, you'll wake up the army of omni-orcs and they don't take to kindly to people pointing out that the dark emperor is naked.

Return to “Instruments”