Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Best Disco Strings

wagtunes
KVRAF

7991 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 am Best Disco Strings

Okay, I'm doing a disco track from the 70s. I need great strings. The EWQL Hollywood Strings Gold don't have close mic positions and they're too far away. The string riffs aren't solid enough, for lack of a better term. They just don't cut through. I have the strings that came with Kontakt and I haven't checked them out yet (I will) but if somebody has some great recommendations for strings specifically for disco, I'm all ears. Brass I have covered pretty well.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

4798 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Got a budget or other constraints? The new Cinematic Studio Strings was recorded in a film scoring studio with multiple microphone positions, including close microphones, and has amazing legatos and glidsandos that should work well in a disco tune. I wrote a very positive review on Gearslutz if you want more details. Not inexpensive and needs Kontakt though. Great product IMO.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Got a budget or other constraints? The new Cinematic Studio Strings was recorded in a film scoring studio with multiple microphone positions, including close microphones, and has amazing legatos and glidsandos that should work well in a disco tune. I wrote a very positive review on Gearslutz if you want more details. Not inexpensive and needs Kontakt though. Great product IMO.

Who puts it out? Link?
Jafo
KVRAF

1702 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from The Armpit of the Mitten

Postby Jafo; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Native Instruments' Session Strings is also worth a look, with a sonic character specifically designed for disco and pop, a wide variety of articulations, and a great price. I think it's a total gas, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Okay, I found the site and listened to the demos.

For orchestral strings, they're okay. They didn't blow me away or anything but I can hear that at least they're dry.

The problem is, all the demos are classical orchestral demos. It's hard for me to imagine what they'd sound like mixed into a disco song.

So if you know where I can hear a demo in that style, that would help a lot.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Jafo wrote:Native Instruments' Session Strings is also worth a look, with a sonic character specifically designed for disco and pop, a wide variety of articulations, and a great price. I think it's a total gas, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Actually, those are the Kontakt strings that I own that I haven't checked out for this project. I remember that for classical orchestral strings I didn't like the way they sounded. But maybe for this they'll be just what I need.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Well, I checked out the Session Strings. Now I know why I don't use them.

God awful.
Numanoid
KVRAF

24747 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 am Re: Best Disco Strings

wagtunes wrote:God awful.

Just like this kind of thread :(
Aloysius
KVRAF

19970 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am Re: Best Disco Strings

I have Session Strings (non pro version) and it is perfect for Disco. If you don't like them, you don't like Disco. The Presets include MTown Scoops and Falls, which are exactly what is required for Disco. I checked out everything else on the market at the time of purchase and this product is ideal.

If you want to get samples, you can't do any better than 'LoopMasters: Real Strings Vol.2 - Disco Strings'. If you don't like them, you don't know anything about the Disco sound.

All imho of course.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am Re: Best Disco Strings

Aloysius wrote:I have Session Strings (non pro version) and it is perfect for Disco. If you don't like them, you don't like Disco. The Presets include MTown Scoops and Falls, which are exactly what is required for Disco. I checked out everything else on the market at the time of purchase and this product is ideal.

If you want to get samples, you can't do any better than 'LoopMasters Real Strings Vol.2 - Disco Strings'. If you don't like them, you don't know anything about the Disco sound.

All imho of course.

Way to make assumptions about what I like and don't like. For your information, I grew up during the disco era. In June of 1973, long before disco was even a thing yet, this amazing song came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5YJmEOelM0

Go on and tell me Session Strings sound this good. I dare you.

I could post dozens of disco tracks from my teenage years with strings that put Session Strings to shame.

But by all means, tell me how great they are.
Aloysius
KVRAF

19970 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am Re: Best Disco Strings

I was around before Mozart was a twinkle in his fathers eye. So there. :smack:
Numanoid
KVRAF

24747 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Postby Numanoid; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am Re: Best Disco Strings

wagtunes wrote:Well, I checked out the Session Strings. Now I know why I don't use them.

God awful.

How is it possible to make a conclusion about a product and deride it in such words after having spent less than half an hour with it :help:

The dumbing down of this forum have gone far enough!
djanthonyw
KVRAF

6767 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:23 am Re: Best Disco Strings

If you don't like Session Strings, then LASS Lite is probably your best bet.
You are currently reading my signature.
topaz
KVRAF

3929 posts since 14 Jul, 2001, from Kent, UK

Postby topaz; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 am Re: Best Disco Strings

well that has to be the most boring example of disco strings ever, they are just stacatto and sustains, no falls, or glissando at all.

I would go as far as to say that is probably one of the worst "disco" tracks i have ever heard.

each to their own.

ps, you could 100 do better with even the basic session strings.
Last edited by topaz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for General release, Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/CompleteCycle/
topaz
KVRAF

3929 posts since 14 Jul, 2001, from Kent, UK

Postby topaz; Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 am Re: Best Disco Strings

now if you had of posted this you would be talking :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQ6re68 ... vuRNX2OLuQ
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for General release, Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/CompleteCycle/
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments