Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Halion 6 & Absolute 3

felis
KVRist

197 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Postby felis; Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:04 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

I use several versions of Cubase, but the main one is on my desktop. The dongle has been there so long that I forget about it.
I wanted to be able to use Absolute on both the desktop and my laptop, so I got a newer, smaller dongle and the license is on there.
Kind of a hassle moving it back and forth, and it makes me a bit nervous.
I've got a broken dongle from when they first came out and don't even know what licenses were on it.
I should probably mail the poor mangled thing back to Steinberg.

Anyways, besides that, I'm really liking all the included programs so far. Barely dug into it, but yes, there's several mod options I would like to see added.
Also, I can't find an Osc. Sync for the Voltage program. I think this would make it near the top of the heap in the Mini emulations.
It sounds pretty ballsy.
I'm reaching the overload point for software though.
Arturia just came out with the V6 collection, but I'm going to hold off on it, because my plate is pretty much full right now.
atya
KVRist

203 posts since 17 Sep, 2014, from LPGC

Postby atya; Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

monomaker wrote:
It's still one of the worst for microtuning, looping, slicing and modulating, one of the best for unique "deep" features and right in the middle for content and ease of use.

HTH.

Thanks for the review, monomaker - you just saved me some €€€.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5547 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

felis wrote:I use several versions of Cubase, but the main one is on my desktop. The dongle has been there so long that I forget about it.
I wanted to be able to use Absolute on both the desktop and my laptop, so I got a newer, smaller dongle and the license is on there.
Kind of a hassle moving it back and forth, and it makes me a bit nervous.
I've got a broken dongle from when they first came out and don't even know what licenses were on it.
I should probably mail the poor mangled thing back to Steinberg.

Anyways, besides that, I'm really liking all the included programs so far. Barely dug into it, but yes, there's several mod options I would like to see added.
Also, I can't find an Osc. Sync for the Voltage program. I think this would make it near the top of the heap in the Mini emulations.
It sounds pretty ballsy.

Just use Trium instead. It's exactly the same synth but with more stuff, including sync. If you look at the edit page for either instruments, you'll see it's using the same oscillator. I've heard someone else say they like voltage the best as well, but all that means is that you prefer two osc presets better and presets that don't use the extra functions of trium. Same synth engine. Different GUI (with simplifications/restrictions in the case of voltage). I think even using voltage you can just go into edit and put some sync on though, you just don't have access in the main scripted GUI.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5132 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

Echoes in the Attic wrote: I think even using voltage you can just go into edit and put some sync on though, you just don't have access in the main scripted GUI.

Just caught up on this thread. I was just going to suggest this. If you have H6, just go to the edit page.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
felis
KVRist

Postby felis; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

I just got it recently, so I've still got a lot of digging into it to do.
But thanks for the tips.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5132 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

felis wrote:I just got it recently, so I've still got a lot of digging into it to do.
But thanks for the tips.

Ok, just to hopefully clear up things ...
All of the "synths" in Halion and Halion sonic are nothing more than macro pages built using the Halion synth engines (Synth, Granular, Drawbar, Sample, etc..). In Halion you can get behind the macro page and edit the shizzle out of things. In Halion Sonic, you are mostly just using those macros as provided.

So, if you want sync between oscillators, just go to the edit page for the synth zone and click the sync button.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
felis
KVRist

Postby felis; Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

Well, that Trium synth does have a variety of sync type oscillators, but I forgot that I read in the manual that they're the typical Yamaha 'sync within one oscillator', like what are found in the AN1X and PLG150AN. I had both of those, and still have the PLG.
You get the sync sound by modulating the 'waveform' parameter. Sounds pretty good.

On the Voltage synth, the edit area has lots of lfo, envelope and other sync areas, but nothing for oscillator sync that I can see.
Oh well - it still sounds very good.

Ya - it's a bit confusing to load something up, and then be able to choose from synth/sample/wavetable/organ and stuff.
I don't have a firm grasp on what's really going on with it yet.
Last edited by felis on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monomaker
KVRist

47 posts since 11 Mar, 2015

Postby monomaker; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 am Re: random mod source?

bundoo wrote:Maybe I'm missing something...just looking for a note on random modulation source?

Not time based...just note on...

any tips?

Just noticed nobody replied to you on this.

The answers I've got aren't much fun (I mentioned this issue in my mini review on page 1 of this thread) - if anyone can improve on them I'd love to hear it. The easiest way I've found is by using the LFO's - set the frequency to 0.00, set waveform to S&H, set retrigger mode to ON and check the Rnd checkbox next to phase. This should give you what you want, you can control the amount and polarity of these random numbers in the ModMatrix. You can speed up workflow a little by saving the LFO as a preset in the top right of the LFO section, getting it down to a couple of additional mouseclicks (repeat with both SH's so that you've got multiple random sources quickly). You can then add additional LFO's to increase the number of random sources.

Some parameters will randomize on note on using noise as the source, some you can use the "MIDI Randomizer" module (although this is best for just note randomisation - which isn't something that's usually that useful).

All of these options seem quite poor to me, it would be nice to just have a few random sources in the ModMatrix but I wouldn't hold my breath. I contacted Steinberg about this years ago and never got a reply. :(
Last edited by monomaker on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
monomaker
KVRist

Postby monomaker; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

atya wrote:Thanks for the review, monomaker - you just saved me some €€€.

You're welcome, I would like to reiterate that despite its many flaws it's still probably my most used plugin!
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

I guess I don't understand the question since all the LFO's have S&H functions, which is to say random trigger for each note on.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:27 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

Also, the LFO's all have random phase on trigger.
monomaker
KVRist

Postby monomaker; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

SJ_Digriz wrote:I guess I don't understand the question since all the LFO's have S&H functions, which is to say random trigger for each note on.

Sure, but it's a pain in the first instance - it involves configuring 4 items on the LFO and then selecting that in the matrix rather than just selecting "random" in the matrix. As I said saving the LFO as a preset halves the time it takes, but its still a further step that feels unnecessary.
monomaker
KVRist

Postby monomaker; Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:36 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

SJ_Digriz wrote:Also, the LFO's all have random phase on trigger.

That's what I just wrote, above.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:09 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

sorry, I still don't get it. I'm curious if you have another sampler setup example? What exactly would you want to be "random" without a source chosen in the matrix? The matrix is not input aware ... And it shouldn't be. It's just a buss.
monomaker
KVRist

Postby monomaker; Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:24 am Re: Halion 6 & Absolute 3

Most vsti's with a mod matrix offer a random source without having to use LFO's or external modules, which increases the number of steps required to utilize from 1 to 5 in the first instance. If you do a lot of it every day the unnecessary steps become pretty apparent, even once you've saved presets for this. It's simply a workflow issue, Halion requires a minimum of 4 mouseclicks over 2 separate GUI elements in order to achieve the result - this could be reduced to 2 clicks on a single element if random was a source (as noise is, which is why using noise can often be the most expedient method, depending on the destination). Once you require more than a couple of different random sources the clicks required to add and configure the extra LFO's becomes a chore.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments