Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cycle. It flat out just doesn't work. I can't even render a track with it. Freezes right up. Bugs up the ying yang. Worst POS I ever bought as far as VSTs.

Armagibbon wrote:D16 phoscyon

It's fun as f*ck and sounds great, but I don't know what to do with a 303. It's a sound that just never finds its way into my projects and programming the thing sucks the hours away. It's the worst thing ever for getting shit done.
You really have to read the manual and get a "feel" for programming 303 style lines. It also has an extremely customizable randomizer that when used properly can effortlessly crank out a top notch acid riff.

I don't use 303 sounds much anymore, but I still don't regret buying it and consider it the best softsynth 303 emulation for its creative features.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Alchemy, just because I'm QQ CA got hijacked by the evil fruit :( Apart from that, none actually, but you know, give it time :hihi:
Eternitysound VST Banks

DiscoDSP Vertigo.

If it would work it would be a good synth, but that annoying piece of ... software randomly insists that the license file is invalid. The developer has been completely unresponsive for months and appears to be completely missing in action now.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

IL Morphine! Sure I regret buying it, but in the end I could get rid of it :D

No other regrets (I can sell most of them if I don't want them).

I'm sure I'm missing the gist, and I love all my other Linplug, but I never use MorphoX...of course, now that makes me want to see what I'm missing. Tomorrow morning...

Edited to say: Retracted. I didn't spend enough time with it. No regrets. :oops: But I also remember one thing I would like to see changed, which is that when you pull a project back up, the morph dial is all the way to A, so you've got to note somewhere where you originally had your dial - and remember that when you're playing back your tune.
Last edited by Bodhisan on Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

I know topic is buyer regret...but I regret every KB synth ever made even if they are free!!! I'm not a sound designer, but it seems even the usual preset crew avoid these "emulations" like the plague. :scared:

BT Phobos from Spitfire.

superscan wrote:BT Phobos from Spitfire.
That's an interesting one. May I ask why?
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Well, there are many. Not all of these were bad or buggy or didn't give me good use. But I have regrets. Here's two:

-Kontakt: I call it a synth. I've always hated it. Trying to get it to work multi timbrel or just getting shit to load in it, issues. And I think most of it is really cheesy these days. It's so 10 years ago.

-Omnisphere/Trilian/RMX*: Omnisphere was a very expensive gas buy. Though I really appreciate the time and detail of this, it never gelled with me. Always seemed like there was more garbage than good stuff. Trilian was good, but I sure as hell am not gifted enough to do with it what it's capable of. It was gas for sure, and to further the regret......I play bass :cry: RMX? Now that was a lovely kit back in the day. So what do I regret? That they never came up with a proper update. And having to hear all those shows on the science channel that used it so much :hihi:

Armagibbon wrote:D16 phoscyon

It's fun as f*ck and sounds great, but I don't know what to do with a 303. It's a sound that just never finds its way into my projects and programming the thing sucks the hours away. It's the worst thing ever for getting shit done.
You can use phoscyons built in sequencer to drive your other instruments which is kind of fun.

As for me, I don't really have anything I regret buying in my current arsenal. I did sell off a bunch of stuff in the past though that I didn't really want. Probably my biggest regret was upgrading from PPG v2 to v3, only to find it crashed on me very very frequently. I think it might have to do with the E-licencer garbage, but now that they use serial I might give it a shot again and reinstall it.

I also regretted buying synth master, because it caused me problems whenever I tried to use it in Ableton. That got sold pretty quickly, which is a shame because i really wanted to use the vector synthesis in it.
:borg:

No regrets, synths have demo versions for a reason.

Unfortunately the quality of 90% of current synths is nowhere near their asking price, which means I can now regret wasting countless of hours demoing mediocre or straight up garbage synths.

deastman wrote:The only one that immediately comes to mind is the Yamaha FB01. In its defense, it was very cheap...
I heard an awesome acid track done on an FB01. I was simply amazed. I've never owned one but I've seen them regularly sell for peanuts.

egbert101 wrote:Yamaha TG500.

Don't ask. :hihi:
I used the hell out of mine back in the day. It's like a big pizza box though so it's hard to put in a small rack. I still have it, but I haven't turned it on in years. I'm not sure what I'd do with it if I did turn it on.

nineofkings wrote:Absynth. Never use it. Its interface issues are not that it's too technical or anything, it's just a bad interface. Fiddly, tabby, inefficient
It's a little weird, but, I think that it's really fast for manipulating samples in something of an old school, i.e., not multisamples, kind of way. I agree that the interface is a bit fiddly. I don't think that it's necessarily all that inefficient though.

Return to “Instruments”