Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zenophilix wrote:Honestly kind of confused why I keep seeing Avenger brought up. Always thought it sounded fantastic, and looked like a lot of fun to mess with.

It does indeed sound fantastic. I think it just has way too much going on - seems too deep right away instead of gradually like serum. Takes a while to click for me at least.

vurt wrote:
EnGee wrote: One thing is I'm sure of, and that is, I have too many synths!

did your missus tell you that?
Worst. Myself!

generaldiomedes wrote:
zenophilix wrote:Honestly kind of confused why I keep seeing Avenger brought up. Always thought it sounded fantastic, and looked like a lot of fun to mess with.

It does indeed sound fantastic. I think it just has way too much going on - seems too deep right away instead of gradually like serum. Takes a while to click for me at least.
Maybe I'm just crazy, I like screwing with things like Synthmaster, and Serum was kind of underwhelming at first. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

It's just buggy as hell and unoptimized. But they keep advertising new expansions instead of fixing bugs and testing new release versions.

Melda MPowersynth...

Endless possibilities but for me, a chore to program... and an overall tone that doesn't inspire me.

andymcbain wrote:Melda MPowersynth...

Endless possibilities but for me, a chore to program... and an overall tone that doesn't inspire me.
It's very digital sounding, which is great for certain things and not so great for other things. As with any synth, use it to its strengths.

I did regret buying 'Phonec 2', and even had talks with the developer about selling it. However, I let it just lay in my plugin folder for over a year before finally getting a little more into it. It definitely improved within that time due a couple of updates.

Suffice to say that I am holding onto it.

Anything else I regretted ended up being sold :shrug:

elektron stuff. the analog drive which is a huge, noisy heap of crap plus the octatrack and rytm. The last two work in ways that my brain just can’t deal with. as for the pedal, the reviewers failed to mention how noisy the damn thing is with the gain turned up a bit. I still have all three... :-(
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

wagtunes wrote:As with any synth, use it to its strengths.
I wonder if anyone ever said that about a Minimoog, back in the days.

chk071 wrote:
Back in the day, synths could only do so much. And even though I grew up during the era, I don't look at those days through rose colored glasses. I'll leave it at that because if I say anything else it's only going to start a fight that I honestly want no part of.

The Wendy Carlos-Bob Moog collaboration was very much a two-way creative process: Bob was trying to make the synth a better instrument, and Wendy was learning its limitations. They designed the first keybed together, but imagine the effort to record multiple tracks of Bach on a mono synth.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

As I posted in another thread, definitely Vir2 Electri6ty and all my EastWest libraries that I haven't used for years.
They all cost me a fortune but because of their re-sale policies I cant sell them on to anyone.
So wouldn't buy from either companies again. :x

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Back in the day, synths could only do so much. And even though I grew up during the era, I don't look at those days through rose colored glasses. I'll leave it at that because if I say anything else it's only going to start a fight that I honestly want no part of.
After almost 50 years the Minimoog is still very popular (maybe more popular than ever), not because it is a "feature monster" but because people love it as it is. A Minimoog Model D is not just another synth but a true instrument with lots of character and besides that it is a true synth legend. None of the multi purpose synths we have today really sounds like it.
With The Legend we finally seem to have the ultimate emulation that has some additional features which make sense IMO.

Besides many of those who claim that a Minimoog is too limited do not really have a clue how to program it properly. Of course there is a lot of stuff it is not able to do but you could get a huge amount of different tones from it if you program it properly. This is even moe true wit hteh advanced features in The Legend (including the polyphony and Bandpass filter). Of course this would also not be my choice if i want a single synth for everything but for what it could do it is just awesome.

Besides all that some people just do not want to accept that certain synths have a limited feature set. Not every synth has to be capable of doing everything.

Here is a more unusal Minimoog track by Mr. Firechild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBttwxhKFc
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Not from my side, no worries. :) The point i was merely trying to make is that some synths simply have a bigger sweetspot, and when talking about using a synth "to its strength", it sometimes appears to me as if that was a way of saying "it sucks for most things, but, there's some things that make it shine", which, IMO, is mostly characterizing a bad synth. Of course, there's also a point to it, becase, you won't get a supersaw, or massive pad sounds out of a Minimoog, for example, and have to resort to other synths to do so.

The best, and most rewarding synths, and the most fun to play with are synths which sound good, no matter what you throw at them. There's a few of those out there IMO, they're rather the exception than the rule though, in my experience.

Ingonator wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
chk071 wrote:
After almost 50 years the Minimoog is still very popular (maybe more popular than ever), not because it is a "feature monster" but because people love it as it is. A Minimoog Model D is not just another synth but a true instrument with lots of character and besides that it is a true synth legend. None of the multi purpose synths we have today really sounds like it.
With The Legend we finally seem to have the ultimate emulation that has some additional features which make sense IMO.

Besides many of those who claim that a Minimoog is too limited do not really have a clue how to program it properly. Of course there is a lot of stuff it is not able to do but you could get a huge amount of different tones from it if you program it properly. This is even moe true wit hteh advanced features in The Legend (including the polyphony and Bandpass filter). Of course this would also not be my choice if i want a single synth for everything but for what it could do it is just awesome.

Besides all that some people just do not want to accept that certain synths have a limited feature set. Not every synth has to be capable of doing everything.

Here is a more unusal Minimoog track by Mr. Firechild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBttwxhKFc
Which is why I said, use a synth for its strengths or for what it's best at doing. I'm not knocking the Minimoog, or the Polymoog (one of my favorite synths for what it does) or any of the early synths sound wise unless they really did sound like crap (and some early synths DID sound like crap) but let's be honest. Aside from the limitations of synths back then they had a multitude of problems, not the least of which were tuning issues, repairs and just the plain pain in the ass of having to lug these things around if you played live.

Point is, I would NEVER want to go back to those days. Not when we're perfectly capable of doing just about anything today at a fraction of the cost, no need for repairs and no 200 pound monsters to lug around.

No, I do NOT miss 1979.

Return to “Instruments”