Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
chk071
KVRAF
 
16055 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am Re: Synths you regret buying

I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!
dark water
KVRian
 
791 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Postby dark water; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Regrets?
f**k that.
I spent the money. I learnt.

And as Sid might say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPz6iPkLz2I
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
 
1557 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Resp. HIVE: I nearly always set it into DIRTY mode. This brings up more character at least for my taste.
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com
User avatar
ccDuckett
KVRist
 
432 posts since 14 Jun, 2011, from Betwixt or between

Postby ccDuckett; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 am Re: Synths you regret buying

Kaivo. Bought because I loved Aalto, and "granulator + PM" seemed to promise enormous flexibility. Absolutely nothing to do with its objective merits- it does what it was designed to do- but for me, it gets very CPU hungry, and I couldn't get much out of it sound-design-wise that would sit well in a mix and didn't scream "Made with Kaivo!"

I should probably take some more time with it, but honestly, the last time I opened it up, it felt more like work than play; in retrospect, I had Chromophone in the back of my mind when anticipating the PM side of Kaivo, instead of the almost old-Reaktor-like metalli-glassy sounds Kaivo seems to tend towards.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.
User avatar
voidhead23
KVRist
 
42 posts since 5 Jan, 2018, from Beijing, PRC

Postby voidhead23; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am Re: Synths you regret buying

chk071 wrote:I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!


Whoa. Is that actually a possibility?

To be fair, Hive is impressive and underrated, no doubt. But i'm trying to focus on one synth and learn it inside and out and it's up against Zebra. Still figuring out that outcome, but it's really down to those two synths. To it's credit, though, i much prefer its limited architecture (coming from a few years of using mostly hardware). And for some reason bass sounds in Hive gel faster with electric guitars than any other soft-synth i've used.
chk071
KVRAF
 
16055 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 am Re: Synths you regret buying

voidhead23 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I also pretty much completely changed my mind about Hive. It is a really good synth, and, if Urs really decides to implement wavetable oscillators as well, all the better!


Whoa. Is that actually a possibility?


It sounds like it:

Urs wrote:As for future feature updates I think we're committed to a dramatic increase in waveforms, along with a wavetable based synthesis method. This might be related to my current efforts in redesigning the Zebra oscillator.

We'll see... for now I'm just glad that we see light at the end of the tunnel with the Repro update, followed by Zebra 2.8, maybe even this year.
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
 
1557 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:42 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

masterhiggins wrote:
Lets dance wrote:xpand!2
1$
i regret


I got it for free and I regret it. Lol.

Me too!
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com
User avatar
werp
KVRAF
 
1810 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:50 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

don’t usually regret purchases, money needs to move to be happy, but this one....

Geist.

I meant to buy a drum synth by the same company but got the names mixed up.
I couldn’t figure out what the thing was for. I’m too old to and decrepit to learn new tricks.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.
User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
 
1557 posts since 28 Dec, 2015, from Germany

Postby martinjuenke; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

werp wrote:don’t usually regret purchases, money needs to move to be happy, but this one....

Geist.

I meant to buy a drum synth by the same company but got the names mixed up.
I couldn’t figure out what the thing was for. I’m too old to and decrepit to learn new tricks.

Two weeks ago I picked up GEIST 2 due to GAS and a discount at JRR. Seems that will go onto my regret list :dog:
Music was my first love ...
atmospheric electronic music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com
shonky
KVRian
 
664 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Postby shonky; Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

Each to their own but I picked up Geist 2 and absolutely love it - bit of a learning curve but I've found it great for using samples from unfinished tunes and chopping, filtering, stretching, etc into new forms.

Regrets for me would be:

Wiggle - great idea and liked the demo enough to buy it but after purchase realised it had a ton of aliasing on more complex patches, filters were pretty poor (and no key follow) and most of the updates added more (mostly trance) presets but didn't improve functionality.

Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.

Obscurium - nothing against the actual design of the instrument but the native synth sounds are rather lacking, I'm not particularly interested in the generative side, and I've found sequencing something I'm happy with in it a rather tiresome process.
User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
 
21745 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

I'm sorry I bought xxxxxxxxxxx.
Impeach 64. Keep 32-bit Plug-ins alive.
yellowmix
KVRian
 
604 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

martinjuenke wrote:Two weeks ago I picked up GEIST 2 due to GAS and a discount at JRR. Seems that will go onto my regret list :dog:


If you want a plain old drum machine, it's got a lot more than that, so I can understand the person who just wants drum pads. They're looking for something like Poise or Battery. But Geist 2 is amazingly deep. My current favorite use is for stochastic polyrhythms via Euclidean beats (drag the right end of the pad lane to the left to shorten it). The only other sequencer that comes close is Liquid Rhythm (but the drum machine part is lacking; it's meant to be a generative sequencer), and Thesys (but that is purely a sequencer). I had to read the manual to grok the deeper parts, but it's worth it.
yellowmix
KVRian
 
604 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

shonky wrote:Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.


The lack of swing is a huge glaring omission given how interesting and deep the rest of it is. I don't regret it, because the sample library is one of the best electronic drum factory libraries around, and I still occasionally use it for cool glitch effects. I end up bouncing interesting microedits then throwing it into Battery or Geist, though, because of that CPU issue. It's awesome that there's a wavetable synthesis engine in there, but the CPU usage goes through the roof.
User avatar
c_voltage
KVRian
 
1085 posts since 16 May, 2004, from Soviet Union

Postby c_voltage; Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 pm Re: Synths you regret buying

yellowmix wrote:
shonky wrote:Breaktweaker - good sample content, was hoping to use it as a drum sampler/sequencer rather than a glitch machine but found lack of swing option and high cpu count didn't make it particularly useful for what I had in mind.


The lack of swing is a huge glaring omission given how interesting and deep the rest of it is. I don't regret it, because the sample library is one of the best electronic drum factory libraries around, and I still occasionally use it for cool glitch effects. I end up bouncing interesting microedits then throwing it into Battery or Geist, though, because of that CPU issue. It's awesome that there's a wavetable synthesis engine in there, but the CPU usage goes through the roof.

About Breaktweaker yes, the same here, bought it once but almost never use because this. CPU usage enormous (especially on long release), as for drum module at least.
zzz00m
KVRian
 
1019 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 am Re: Synths you regret buying

martinjuenke wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
Lets dance wrote:xpand!2
1$
i regret


I got it for free and I regret it. Lol.

Me too!


Why?
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments