Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
I can certainly see a $500 mistake as being much more regrettable than a $1 mistake. :wink:

That is the reason I have avoided Omnisphere so far. Plus there is no demo available, only reliance on videos and word of mouth. I'm sure that it's a good synth for certain purposes, but without a hands on trial, I just dunno...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Omnisphere 2. I sat on it for a month, tried using it in my productions for 2 months, and finally decided it just wasn't for me. Sat on my shelf until I sold it last month. Nice synth, but ultimately a waste for me. Pass.
I can certainly see a $500 mistake as being much more regrettable than a $1 mistake. :wink:

That is the reason I have avoided Omnisphere so far. Plus there is no demo available, only reliance on videos and word of mouth. I'm sure that it's a good synth for certain purposes, but without a hands on trial, I just dunno...
I hear you, but I was able to re-sell it and only lose about $75 USD. So, as far as I'm concerned, I "rented" it for 5 months at a reasonable price to try it out. That said, Spectrasonic's whole "no demo" policy because it's too large is a load of shit. They could easily release a demo version with a curated selection of content, they just choose not to do it in order to rope people into buying it and charging for a license transfer for those who don't like it. As a company, I find their approach deplorable.

Still, it was a pretty cool synth (although the dated GUI/UX was tiring to work in for me).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$

KORG DIGITAL COLLECTION -- I swore off the independents and went with a big name that I knew well from the past and knew wasn't going to quit the biz anytime soon. Their installation required a USB dongle, which I didn't mind. But I DID mind when the dongle died after a month and Korg refused to either a) replace it under warranty, or b) sell me a replacement. After trying for several weeks to get my paid-for products working again, I was dismayed to hear Korg's final word on the matter was to simply buy another copy without the dongle requirement. I therefore put Korg in the same s*** bucket as Camel Audio and Prodyon. Any thoughts of buying a Kronos vanished along with Korg's customer service. Loss = 250$

LIGHT SHOW PRO -- not a synth. But a company that started the whole christmas lights synced to the music scene and then abandoned all its customers deserves my contempt as well. Loss = 250$

Sure, each individual loss may not seem like a huge deal. Certainly not something you write off as a capital loss on your taxes. But all three of these happened within a year. And combined, that IS a pretty penny. BTW: this isn't ALL my money lost to music synths and makers. And I have to scrimp, save, and go without things to be able to afford them -- ending up with little or nothing makes me wish I'd not gotten into this at all. It has certainly made me record less, since the sourness makes me want to not even look at a keyboard anymore.

impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.
Works fine here in 64bit Ableton.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I only use the 32bit version of Imposcar but I wrapped it in jbridge and it is solid and stable. They released a 2.0 upgrade for it but the features and cost didn't translate into making it worthwhile for me. jbridge on version 1 is doing the trick.

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.

DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ImpOSCar 2 is now 64 bit

Halonmusic wrote:DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.
Yes, that one is a bit of a disappointment. I liked the idea of having a version of my iPhone where I could fiddle around and then later continue on the production system. But the GUI is a nightmare.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:DRC. Not even that good and it just collects virtual dust on my harddrive. Also i dont fancy that gui.
Yes, that one is a bit of a disappointment. I liked the idea of having a version of my iPhone where I could fiddle around and then later continue on the production system. But the GUI is a nightmare.
Indeed.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I bought Kontakt years ago because everyone had it and I thought I must need it as well.

The idea seemed to be that you make a song with a simple synth sound and later replace it with a better Kontakt preset to finish the song.

Trouble is, I have loads of half finished songs, but no completed ones.

Kontakt just sits there gloating at me and calling me a loser :hihi:

dellboy wrote:Kontakt just sits there gloating at me and calling me a loser :hihi:
You shoul load in a different sample, I wouldn't play Kontakt either if it only played that looser sample...

dellboy wrote:I bought Kontakt years ago because everyone had it and I thought I must need it as well.

The idea seemed to be that you make a song with a simple synth sound and later replace it with a better Kontakt preset to finish the song.
I always suspected that Kontakt was a potential money pit, so stayed away, except for the free Kontakt Player.

Can't find the 'finish the song' button on that one either! :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

i regret buying all of them, and would prefer to have stolen each one... 8)

Return to “Instruments”