VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$
It still works ok on my PC, even though the company isn’t around anymore.

Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret three purchases: two of which are VSTs

Camel Audio - Alchemy
Korg - Digital collection
Minleon - Light Show Pro

ALCHEMY -- I didn't buy it immediately, due to a bad experience with another maker. After ensuring the company wasn't going anywhere and there was plenty of support for the synth and playing with the free one, I purchased the full monty version of Alchemy. I was saving up for a couple of months for some sound libraries, and then *POOF*, Camel Audio and all the libraries I wanted to buy were no more. Loss = 350$
Flawlessly for me too... I'm not happy about it but it does still work.

Hardware:

MS-20: the filter is one of my favorite, really. And it's easy to program until you get to the patch panel. I never invested myself into the patch panel so I felt I was losing half the value of the synth....and truth be told, without the patch panel it's a very rudimentary monosynth. Which was another thing, I'd have liked it much better had it been paraphonic.

Any Eurorack/Modular: dabbled with it, learned fast that it wasn't for me.

Organelle: gimmicky bullshit...software in a price gouging, boutique enclosure.

Software:

Samplemoog: before I knew how to program a synth...even then I thought it was just OK. I hated it after I learned how to program.

QuadraSID: sounded good, but it took a lot of work to coax authentic sounding SID leads and basses from it. Ugly GUI, PITA to program

Serum: idk why I bought it....it's powerful and it's flexible...but I don't really LOVE the filters and one thing I hate about it is it sounds TOO big...TOO fat

I always prefer a synth that I need to add FX too rather than fight it and whittle it down to sit right in the context of my mix.

Double post
Last edited by Bump1 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

The original hardware bass station. Took it back and got a refund. Piece of crap.

Scotty wrote:I only use the 32bit version of Imposcar but I wrapped it in jbridge and it is solid and stable. They released a 2.0 upgrade for it but the features and cost didn't translate into making it worthwhile for me. jbridge on version 1 is doing the trick.

thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.
There's a trick to it though.
I use it with jbridge in Reaper as well. But I needed to change some settings in jbridge for it to produce sound and not crash my DAW.
Can't remember exactly what settings I changed. I think it might be "performance mode"
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

AnX wrote:The original hardware bass station. Took it back and got a refund. Piece of crap.
:hihi:

Read that a lot, TBH. :)

mgw38 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:impOSCar ... it wont work on my latest system, probably because it's 32 bit (only). I should sell it.
Works fine here in 64bit Ableton.
I presume you're using a bridge(?) ... the standalone version crashes as soon as I launch it.

Bump1 wrote:Hardware:

Samplemoog: before I knew how to program a synth...even then I thought it was just OK. I hated it after I learned how to program.
Yeah, I got SampleMoog in the big group sale IK did a few years back, but I've basically never used it for that reason. That's why I'm not too sweet on IK's Syntronik, either. Sure, there's more neat tricks like modelled filters, but it's basically still a glorified sample player (and an absurdly large one at that – it's what, over 100 GB of samples).

Like, what's the point of multi-sampling the oscillators of a Yamaha CS-80? Basically its entire legendary status revolves around how it's played by Vangelis et al., and very little around its actual sonic palette. Personally, I don't understand the appeal.

hellomrbike wrote:
Like, what's the point of multi-sampling the oscillators of a Yamaha CS-80? Basically its entire legendary status revolves around how it's played by Vangelis et al., and very little around its actual sonic palette. Personally, I don't understand the appeal.
I dunno, maybe because it hands you a very playable instrument that sounds like a CS-80, with a great set of effects and the ability to create multis with layers and splits of up to four instruments.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret
ALCHEMY --
You are still running on your same computer you put it in when you bought it, I suppose. When that machine dies or you try to reinstall on a new machine... Can't check a "legal license" server for installation back in Camel Audio land when Camel Audio land sank into the corporate sea.

Shockwave77598 wrote:
Examigan wrote:
Shockwave77598 wrote:I regret
ALCHEMY --
You are still running on your same computer you put it in when you bought it, I suppose. When that machine dies or you try to reinstall on a new machine... Can't check a "legal license" server for installation back in Camel Audio land when Camel Audio land sank into the corporate sea.
The last version they uploaded to everyone's user accounts before they went doesn't have a phone-home protection.
The license is embedded in the installer itself...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

LeVzi wrote:Alchemy, quite simply disgusting treatment from Camel Audio. Something that can never be forgiven or forgotten.

Zebra, over hyped synth I didn't like, I liked some of the modulation options but it wasn't worth it.

Padshop Pro , never use this, god knows why I bought it. Was cheap at the time though. Im pretty sure I bought it in a bundle with Retrologue , yet Steinberg have revoked my Retrologue license and given it a time limit. They are not to be trusted at all.

PadshopPro due to its huge modulation matrix is one of the best granular mangling VST you still can get. Remember with granular...it´s all about what you get is what you put into it. I don´t recall a gran mangler which comes close to its possibilities (Window VST2 based).

Hi regretters :hihi:

there isnt´t one single synth I regret buying and I started early 90th with my first one, a KAWAI K5 Keyboard additive synthesis "wonder" and I ended yesterday with the small but neat Rob Papens GO2 and I think this journey will not end soon. Every piece of gear or software is usable in some kind. There are no restrictions in music and even every given object on earth and every place wherever recorded are capable of making a sound...and all sound is usable for giving it a musical context. Looking back with a regretful mind makes no sense. When you get stuck sometimes things just need new context. An open mind and flexibility helps to provide such changes and suddenly the same things seems to be very different. This is profoundly needed to be creative and to avoid getting stucked in the same routines over and over again. Remember Shunryu Suzuki (he was already very sick when this film was done) about "sound" and "noise", relax and have a joyful modulating :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNyCAJXUXE

nichttuntun wrote:Hi regretters :hihi:

there isnt´t one single synth I regret buying and I started early 90th with my first one, a KAWAI K5 Keyboard additive synthesis "wonder" and I ended yesterday with the small but neat Rob Papens GO2 and I think this journey will not end soon. Every piece of gear or software is usable in some kind. There are no restrictions in music and even every given object on earth and every place wherever recorded are capable of making a sound...and all sound is usable for giving it a musical context. Looking back with a regretful mind makes no sense. When you get stuck sometimes things just need new context. An open mind and flexibility helps to provide such changes and suddenly the same things seems to be very different. This is profoundly needed to be creative and to avoid getting stucked in the same routines over and over again. Remember Shunryu Suzuki (he was already very sick when this film was done) about "sound" and "noise", relax and have a joyful modulating :)
Super refreshing take on it. Agree 100%, although my bank account is still hesitant to agree. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Return to “Instruments”