Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

FALCON or HALION 6 ?

EvilDragon
KVRAF

15073 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

E-MU sounds like E-MU. Falcon sounds like Falcon. They aren't similar at all, IMHO.

You should watch through all of Dan Worrall's Falcon tutorials, in there you can get an idea of the sound quality, if that worries you. I think it shouldn't worry you, it sounds great, really.
fmr
KVRAF

6408 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Wavegem wrote:What about the fact that uvi gives you 3 licenses and Steinberg only gives you one. Halion 6 comes with a 25+ gig library and Falcons factory content is 600 mb.

UVI gives you a 100 $/€ voucher that allows you to buy more content. Which content will be your choice.

That said, I can't choose between one or the other. Both have their strenghts, and I think they even complement each other nicely. For example, I think that Falcon does a better job as a pure synth, while HALion is better as a wavetable synth. HALion is also slightly better in granular, although both perform very well in this aspect - but different.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)
rasmusklump
KVRian

728 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:31 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

I have both and while I use Falcon daily in every project, I load Halion 6 maybe once a month...
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5120 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:20 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Halion is the better "Sample Editor" for mapping, wave editing and stuff like that. It also actually samples too now.

I like Halions wavetable more than Falcons. It's a lot deeper.

After that it's all in the synth engines and effects. Which aren't about the "sampler aspect".

I think Falcon is easier to program from a sound design perspective. And, I agree the built in FX are tops. But, when I'm going to sample my modular or something, I use Halion and Wavelab. I don't even consider Falcon.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
apeshake
KVRer

5 posts since 8 Feb, 2010

Postby apeshake; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Thanks for the advice I went for Falcon and I'm not dissapointed - sounds amazing and the interface makes more sense to me than halion does. I've even dipped my toe in the lua scripting to make a simple note trigger delay (I was really surprised there isn't a native control for that - I couldn't find one, or any mention of one in the manual). I might get more into the scripting side down the line but for the most part the standard options seem to have everything I can think of covered.

I agree if I was going to be making multisampled instruments Halion would have made things a bit easier but I'm more interested in creative sampling and sound design and falcon beats halion in that regard with the better modulation options and better effects.
Also very impressed with the granular engine - I don't know why but I didn't get along with Halions granular engine at all while falcons sounds great with very little effort

Brilliant hybrid sampler/synth well worth the money - now I just can't decide which sound pack to get with my voucher!
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5547 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

apeshake wrote:Brilliant hybrid sampler/synth well worth the money - now I just can't decide which sound pack to get with my voucher!

If you ask me Atmospherics is the best by far.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments