Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Bass Master from Loopmasters

Heavy, speaker-shaking tones are just a few clicks away with Bass Master. This synth is totally dedicated to bass, and it's built on Loopmasters' award-winning sonic history.

Whether you are making House, Techno, Drum and Bass, Trap, Hip Hop or other electronic music styles, Bass Master's huge variety of source sounds provide the inspiration for a weighty, powerful bass tone.

Read more at www.pluginboutique.com
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16481 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Actually no, you can use the MPE script in Falcon within a single instrument. You don't need to copy the instrument x times across x MIDI channels.
User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
 
4176 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:44 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

EvilDragon wrote:Actually no, you can use the MPE script in Falcon within a single instrument. You don't need to copy the instrument x times across x MIDI channels.


If you're replying to me, the workaround is for Halion not Falcon. I've edited the post.
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16481 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Yeah. Sorry. :)
User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
 
4176 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah. Sorry. :)


No probs.
Feelshallright
KVRist
 
75 posts since 10 Sep, 2017

Postby Feelshallright; Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:44 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Falcon has many more libraries available, including third-party, but both are good.
goldenanalog
KVRAF
 
1567 posts since 7 Dec, 2005, from somewhere between analog and digital

Postby goldenanalog; Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:36 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Sampleconstruct wrote:And Falcon also has the physical modelling oscillator (pluck synth).


Simon: this may be of interest to those like myself that have (1) but not the other -

Are there some sounds that you've done that can *only* be accomplished by one platform, but not the other? The idea being to perhaps show in audio form what you glean as the focus (strength(s) of each platform - I recognize that the comparison might be seen as more anecdotal then hard evidence; but since you program for both, it's probably a safe bet that you're aware of intrinsic differences that an average user like myself may not see, w/o spending real time with both.

My apologies in advance if that's too much to ask, Simon.

-GA
User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
 
13985 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

goldenanalog wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:And Falcon also has the physical modelling oscillator (pluck synth).


Simon: this may be of interest to those like myself that have (1) but not the other -

Are there some sounds that you've done that can *only* be accomplished by one platform, but not the other? The idea being to perhaps show in audio form what you glean as the focus (strength(s) of each platform - I recognize that the comparison might be seen as more anecdotal then hard evidence; but since you program for both, it's probably a safe bet that you're aware of intrinsic differences that an average user like myself may not see, w/o spending real time with both.

My apologies in advance if that's too much to ask, Simon.

-GA


As Halion doesn't have a tune-able combfilter (via key follow), nor FM, nor physical modelling, nor a waveshaper on oscillator level (actually no decent wave-shaper at all), nor decent vocal/vowel filters (Halion only has the resonator module in the FX section introduced in H6), there certainly are sounds which can be accomplished in Falcon but not in Halion. And also Falcon has a much wider variety of filters. On the other hand the synth module in Halion is more capable than any of the (virtual analog) synth oscillators in Falcon (analog/analog stack oscillators).

Falcon has the drum/percussion oscillator for producing electronic percussive sounds, Halion doesn't have anything like that. The IRCAM Stretch oscillator in Falcon is far superior to the time-stretch oscillator in Halion, especially since UVI introduced the mix function which separates sine/noise/transient components of a given sample.
gentleclockdivider
KVRian
 
1045 posts since 21 Mar, 2009, from gent

Postby gentleclockdivider; Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

yeah the drummodule in falcon is a full blown 'microtonic ( sonic charge ) drum part
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies
samplefuel
KVRist
 
62 posts since 27 Feb, 2018

Postby samplefuel; Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

This thread is interesting to me as I do like both platforms very much. Personally I have been using Halion as a platform for my own sound design for years so much so that I decided recently to start a new Synth/Sample library company and have chosen to develop for the Halion platform.

There was a post earlier in this thread how they were using the Halion Demo and found it quite complicated. I agree that it can get very complicated and that is the reason I started to develop my own front end engine for Halion. Now that it has been developed I am about to launch the company and release the first 2 products that are synth based only one being POLY that is based on the analog modeling and one called WAVE that is based on the Wavetable synthesis. Both are incredibly capable and priced extremely low. $34.99 each or bundled together for $49.99. They work in the FREE Halion Sonic SE player so you do not have to own Halion and they do not require an e-licenser dongle.

The exact launch date is still TBD but should be out somewhere around the second week of MAY. Feel free to check out the unadvertised website that is under construction at the moment. Still waiting to get more quotes, reviews, etc... No sales yet but you can get lots of info or leave us your info and we will let you know when it is officially released. The site is http://www.samplefuel.com
Last edited by samplefuel on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samplefuel
KVRist
 
62 posts since 27 Feb, 2018

Postby samplefuel; Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

As this was my first post not sure if the website link works yet via the previous post. The website is just the SAMPLE FUEL as one word .com
User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRian
 
732 posts since 6 Jan, 2017, from Outer Space

Postby Tj Shredder; Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 pm Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

The link works, but shows an empty white page on my iPad...
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
29536 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

gentleclockdivider wrote:yeah the drummodule in falcon is a full blown 'microtonic ( sonic charge ) drum part


You mean actually ported from Microtonic or just similar?
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16481 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Similar.
Brother Greg
KVRist
 
49 posts since 17 May, 2016

Postby Brother Greg; Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Question: Can anyone speak to their experience of editing samples and using them to create wavetables in Falcon vs. Halion 6?

I've been working with a demo of Halion 6, and I like the ease of importing samples, editing them, and lining them up as a sequence in a wavetable to create an evolving atmosphere. I get the sense that this is more difficult to do in Falcon because you have to be very specific about how many cycles are allowed for any imported sample, and that this may affect how many samples you can line up for a wavetable sequence. Plus, I'm not clear about Falcon's sample-editing capabilities. Thanks for any help with this.
User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
 
13985 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am Re: FALCON or HALION 6 ?

Brother Greg wrote:Question: Can anyone speak to their experience of editing samples and using them to create wavetables in Falcon vs. Halion 6?

I've been working with a demo of Halion 6, and I like the ease of importing samples, editing them, and lining them up as a sequence in a wavetable to create an evolving atmosphere. I get the sense that this is more difficult to do in Falcon because you have to be very specific about how many cycles are allowed for any imported sample, and that this may affect how many samples you can line up for a wavetable sequence. Plus, I'm not clear about Falcon's sample-editing capabilities. Thanks for any help with this.


If you drop a sample into Falcon's wavetable player it will only extract a single cycle waveform from the beginning of the sample, it will not create a wavetable, but you can use images to create wavetables which is a nice feature. Falcon does not have a wavetable editor nor does it have a re-synthesis function so you will have to use something like Serum or Waveedit to create wavetables which you can then import into Falcon. Falcon has various phase distortion modes to warp/morph the sound of a wavetable, HALion doesn't have that, it only has a formant parameter.

HALion has a very good re-synthesis algorithm which will let you create wavetables from samples via drag and drop, you can also combine several samples into one wavetable, determine from which segment of a given sample a waveform will be extracted and it has a very capable waveform editor in which you manipulate the partials and phases of each waveform of a wavetable. Or you can simply draw waveforms and combine them to make a wavetable.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments