Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

That's what I always do but for once I decided to get some info here :)
To give something back I'll demo Hive (and probably Avenger too) and get back here and post about my experience.

Soarer wrote:That's what I always do but for once I decided to get some info here :)
To give something back I'll demo Hive (and probably Avenger too) and get back here and post about my experience.
My gut tells me that sound wise you'll like Avenger more but workflow wise you'll like Hive more as it's simpler to use.

Cant understand why so many people here are bashing hive? I think it's a wonderful synth. To show my love for hive I post my reworked skin here. That's the only thing I have to complain about - the original skin is the worst thing about hive ... especially the strange dots in the background of the hexagon (they are making the font blurry). It's a Modification of the skin from Gianfranco Carone which is much much darker then it's preview when you download it ... dont know what went wrong there?

Dowload filedropper:
http://www.filedropper.com/darkhive_1

Just replace the original images in:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\u-he\Hive.data\Data\Images\Panes

... and make a Backup of the original files.
Last edited by audiot on Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Raving about it is.. raving about it. Criticizing it is bashing it. Rule no.1 of the internet. :P The second one is the opposite of what i just described. Depends on the point of view, really.

Hive is made to be a low cpu consumption synth with the great u-he quality.
Many instances can be layered.
I think U-he should create a layering vst for their synth, like Rob Papen did with the RP synths.
Something like the zone screen of avenger would be cool ...

chk071 wrote:Raving about it is.. raving about it. Criticizing it is bashing it. Rule no.1 of the internet. :P The second one is the opposite of what i just described. Depends on the point of view, really.
"It sounds thin" is not criticism, it is bashing. A good example for criticism is "I could do this or that sound with it if it had another LFO, so I think it lacks in that area".

I would say that sounding thin IS criticism, it simply needs an explanation what is meant with being "thin". Bashing a synth would be more like "This synth is shit. I can't do anything with it.". That could be user fault, it also could be the synth's fault. It's not clear, and not explained at all.

http://sound.artenuovo.com/transmitting.html

These sounds are neither thin, nor sharp or metallic. :phones:

@chk071 It's bashing because it's an opinion presented as a fact.

I would considered it criticism if it was true, i.e. if there was any form of proof to it. (Which is why I asked for that, which then was dismissed by others, but well...)

EvilDragon wrote:<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://sound.artenuovo.com/transmitting.html</span>

These sounds are neither thin, nor sharp or metallic. :phones:
I never wrote Hive is thin. But, to adress my "sharp" and "metallic" arguments, hear the sounds at 04:46 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQsSCrLhCg

Definitely sound more sharp and metallic than Sylenth1, e.g. In general, you can hear a lot of that character in all the sounds in the video, especially with the bass sounds. IMO, YMMV, i'm sure others will like that kind of character.

I would rather say that's a particular aesthetic that Aiyn Zahev went for in making of the soundbank. As you can hear, Hollo is the complete opposite, which I guess can only say how shapeshifting (in a good way) Hive's character is.

(Also those plucky leads at 4:46 sounds bloody great to me, IMHO. SNAPPY ENVELOPES! ;))

Urs wrote:@chk071 It's bashing because it's an opinion presented as a fact.

I would considered it criticism if it was true, i.e. if there was any form of proof to it. (Which is why I asked for that, which then was dismissed by others, but well...)
Ok, fair enough. I just posted some sound examples to adress my subjective points. And, of course, it's always an opinion. I mean, what is a fact about sound, synthesizers, and music really? Some people like Noisecore, some like pop music. Nonetheless, it is a fact, that most seem to prefer pop music over Noisecore. That doesn't mean that Noisecore doesn't sound pleasabnt to some people though. Not that that was a valid comparison here, just to explain the subjectivity factor.

EvilDragon wrote:I would rather say that's a particular aesthetic that Aiyn Zahev went for in making of the soundbank. As you can hear, Hollo is the complete opposite, which I guess can only say how shapeshifting (in a good way) Hive's character is.

(Also those plucky leads at 4:46 sounds bloody great to me, IMHO. SNAPPY ENVELOPES! ;))
You can always hear the synth's character in his sounds though, because, IMO, he always tries to build on the respective synth's strengths. And, you're right, there is of course much less of that in Hollo's sounds. But then, those are more filtered, and, in general, less in your face, and softer, because of the genre. Both are great sound designers BTW, and some of my favorites. Love most of their sounds.

I'm hearing the sharpness, yes. But IMHO that's a good thing, because it's not abrasive kind of sharpness. It's a healthy thing. I don't hear the metallicness, though (probably linked to that "sharpness" not being "abrasive" as I find).

The sounds of Hive can be sharp and thin but it can also be lush, smooth and warm. It all comes down to the skills of the sound designer. I bought a soundset called transmitting spheres from Joseph Hollo and those pads in there are anything but sharp or thin. Perfect sounds for ambient music. I bought another soundset from Aiyn Zahev with a lot of nice progressive trance sounds. On the other hand it is possible to make quite gritty sounds as well, suitable for dubstep, etc. Hive is versatile.

Hive is not everyones cup of tea and that is just a normal thing, but that doesn't mean Hive is a bad synth.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Instruments”