So..... to be specific...you want:

A.tenor sax
B.not part of a collection
C.under $100
D.can growl & be flexible
E.demos that show off the growl & how flexible
F.not anything that needs a breath controller
G.64 bit (i presume)

Just trying to help you idenify your possible choices. Saxlab looks thats the best one so far, though the demos available dont show it off completely. I used it before & its possible to get that same sound you are asking for with automation. I haven't heard of anything new though that is that cheap and/or not part of a collection.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

bigcat1969 wrote:Probably get shot for saying this but the Club Saxes are the dirtiest saxes I've ever heard. The Tenor has a nice gritty growl on it. It's free and delete is easy. Need Kontakt however.

http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... ction.html
No offense, but I'm listening to the demos right now and they sound more like accordions.

wagtunes wrote: I'm listening to the demos right now and they sound more like accordions.
Saxophones, accordions, and harmonicas can have a similar timbre.

574X wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I'm listening to the demos right now and they sound more like accordions.
Yes, they can. But I'm usually able to tell the difference between the three.

574X wrote:
... and banjos. Depending on the skill of the player of course.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

There is also Chris Hein's Horns COMPACT including 2 tenor saxes but there is only 2 short audio demos. You have to dig a bit to find them: Horns Pro -> Vol1 Solo -> Crazy Lounge and ESA Main title.
http://www.chrishein.net/web/CHH-C_Demos.html

No problem I didn't figure you would like them. I'll have to see if I can find those demos of the Club Saxophones as I wasn't aware any even existed...

Aloysius wrote:
574X wrote:
... and banjos. Depending on the skill of the player of course.
Ok that's something I haven't heard before. Hmm, seems like a stretch.

Hey, are you trying to distract me from becoming the greatest sax vst player of all time!?

I have Sample Modelling's Saxophones, they can growl nicely, maybe I should post some examples, but you are not worth of my time.

Ignoring the snarky remark, even if Sample Modeling sounded exactly like a real sax down to nub, as I only need a tenor sax and you have to buy the whole collection, I'm not spending over $300 for one saxophone.

Nope, can't get this banjo to sound like a sax.

Good news is that the harmonica aka "poor man's sax" can easily broaden any musical person's horizon when it comes to musical expressiveness, "note velocity," "pitch bending," embouchure technique that translates to other wind instruments, and recording wind instruments.
Highly recommended.
You'll have an easier time if you spend ~$30+ on a Seydel or Hohner.
brainzistor wrote:I have Sample Modelling's Saxophones, they can growl nicely, maybe I should post some examples, but you are not worth of my time.
It's hard to sell a kazoo bank when you first have to cross a river full of piranhas.
I recommend holding on dearly to a humorous attitude (though it appears the piranhas ate brainzistor's already).

574X wrote:Nope, can't get this banjo to sound like a sax.

Good news is that the harmonica aka "poor man's sax" can easily broaden any musical person's horizon when it comes to musical expressiveness, "note velocity," "pitch bending," embouchure technique that translates to other wind instruments, and recording wind instruments.
Highly recommended.
You'll have an easier time if you spend ~$30+ on a Seydel or Hohner.
brainzistor wrote:I have Sample Modelling's Saxophones, they can growl nicely, maybe I should post some examples, but you are not worth of my time.
It's hard to sell a kazoo bank when you first have to cross a river full of piranhas.
I recommend holding on dearly to a humorous attitude (though it appears the piranhas ate brainzistor's already).
Ignore him. He was ordered by the mods to stay away from me but he disobeyed their orders so I reported him.

Elsewhere, I've been listening to tons of demos of Mr T. It's the closest I've heard but it still falls short. Yes, I'm being very picky here. Even with a wind controller (another $300) it still falls short.

I'm not spending $600 for something that is still going to leave me disappointed.

We're just not there yet it seems.

After listening to the Billy Joel track again, it almost sounds like he's blowing into that thing as hard as humanly possible. The Mr T just doesn't have that tone. It's not even close.

wagtunes wrote:After listening to the Billy Joel track again, it almost sounds like he's blowing into that thing as hard as humanly possible. The Mr T just doesn't have that tone. It's not even close.
First of all I don't Think there is any vst that could reproduce every possible sound that a real saxophone can. In order to get that gritty sound you are right, you have to use a lot of air, but most of all you have a lot of lip action going on to Control the reed.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Surely I'm not the only one who read the title as "Best VST Sex" on first glance?

For that, of course, "this plugin."

Return to “Instruments”