Best VST Sax

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robosax wrote:So I whipped this up to demonstrate SWAM Tenor played from a Synthophone. I haven't played this "Scenes..." solo in over 10 years, so it's not exact! lol Also, I haven't emulated a hard rock sax in quite awhile. Please realize that I spent only 20 minutes on it. I could probably get it almost exact if I put a little more time in. I used a little compression, EQ, delay & reverb.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/911 ... es-sax.mp3

Here's a better example of SWAM saxes, It's a circus tune I recently finished using SWAM Soprano, Alto, Tenor, & Bari. It's my one man band called, The Notta Sax Synthophone Quartet.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/911 ... Clowns.mp3

enjoy!
robo
That actually was very good. I mean really good. As close as I can expect out of a virtual instrument.

However, that was also done with a wind controller, correct? How much did the Synthaphone set you back?

Cool stuff robosax! Thanks for sharing.

I added one with reverb and some pitchbending. Still not there, but hey...

Anyway thanks for starting the subject it reminded my to get Embertone's sax which is a lot of fun.

KeithAdv wrote:I swear--the best sax emulation I've had was a sax PCM card that I plugged into my Roland U-20 way-back-when. I had to make my own patch to give me a velocity-controlled growl. Haven't found anything that sounded as good since!
Cool! I remember my Soundblaster had a decent sax. Roland also has had some good sax samples. My last favorite sax sample before I went all computer was the Fantom. The Yamaha TG500 is another with good sax samples. IMO, all you really need is a breath controller and a sax concept to get a convincing emulation.

robo

wagtunes wrote:That actually was very good. I mean really good. As close as I can expect out of a virtual instrument.

However, that was also done with a wind controller, correct? How much did the Synthaphone set you back?
Thanks! The Synthophone is on the higher end of controllers. I think the latest price is around $4000. That's mainly because it's a real alto sax hot-rodded with electronics inside to make it MIDI. I do this for a living, so it's a worthy investment for me. For beginners looking to get into windcontrollers, the Roland AE-10 is a nice start. For keyboard players looking to get into wind instrument emulations, breath controllers are fairly inexpensive.

robo

Does it look something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDc5c3fQ2BA

Most affordable one.I really don't like to advertise myself but considering that nobody pay attention to the small details like sound quality and price i am forced to do it :)Cheers :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvGlKzJt94

bigcat1969 wrote:Does it look something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDc5c3fQ2BA
yes, that's me playing at the Synthophone booth :D

Aloysius wrote:Mark Rivera - The Sax Player
(Billy Joel's saxophonist)
Excellent vocals too.
Not on the 52nd St Album he wasn't (playing sax). That was Richie Cannata.

robosax wrote:
wagtunes wrote:That actually was very good. I mean really good. As close as I can expect out of a virtual instrument.

Thanks! The Synthophone is on the higher end of controllers. I think the latest price is around $4000. That's mainly because it's a real alto sax hot-rodded with electronics inside to make it MIDI. I do this for a living, so it's a worthy investment for me. For beginners looking to get into windcontrollers, the Roland AE-10 is a nice start. For keyboard players looking to get into wind instrument emulations, breath controllers are fairly inexpensive.

robo
Well, you see, then the question is, am I going to get the same sound out of a $200 controller or am I going to end up disappointed anyway? Even at that, $500 for a sax? Forget it. It's just not worth it.

I'll wait until technology can do what I want it to do for a reasonable price.

It's not that hard to control the swam instruments... a USB breath controller helps a lot, but it's not required. USB breath controller is ~100$ from Tecontrol last I checked, and is a priceless tool for virtual instruments anyways.

But yeah samplemodeling is the only way to go for saxes

Wagtunes--I don't know if this is universal terminology, but there are "wind controllers," favored by woodwind players, that have sax-like keys and fingerings, and "breath controllers," used more by keyboard players that allow you to play the keyboard while regulating controllers with your breath.

The classic breath controller was the Yamaha BC3a, which is no longer made. However, it has been "resurrected" in the far superior TEC breath music controller. I'd recommend checking out some demo videos for that on YouTube. I thought mine was well-worn the money.
Last edited by KeithAdv on Tue May 23, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KeithAdv wrote:Wagtunes--I don't know if this is universal terminology, but there are "wind controllers," favored by woodwind players, that have sax-like keys and finger ingredients, and "breath controllers," used more by keyboard players that allow you to play the keyboard while regulating controllers with your breath.

The classic breath controller was the Yamaha BC3a, which is no longer made. However, it has been "resurrected" in the far superior TEC breath music controller. I'd recommend checking out some demo videos for that on YouTube. I thought mine was well-worn the money.
Let me ask you a question about these breath controllers. Do you actually have to play the notes with them or do you record the MIDI part first on the keyboard and then play the breath controller in time to the MIDI? I can't see being able to do both at the same time and if you have to play the actual notes, forget it. I do not know how to play a sax or I'd just go out and buy a sax.

wagtunes wrote:Well, you see, then the question is, am I going to get the same sound out of a $200 controller or am I going to end up disappointed anyway?
That depends on how determined you are to achieve your end result. There's a learning curve for sure and it's definitely not plug-n-play. If you put as much time & effort into it as you have with Vocaloid then you'd probably achieve passable results.

Another option is sample CDs. You can copy & paste audio files of a real sax into your tunes. With today's DAWs you can manipulate pitches to your heart's content.

Unfortunately there's no shortcut to ultra-realism for any expressive acoustic instrument emulation. The reality is (and will be for quite a long time) that it takes time and/or money to achieve stellar results.

robo

wagtunes wrote:Let me ask you a question about these breath controllers. Do you actually have to play the notes with them or do you record the MIDI part first on the keyboard and then play the breath controller in time to the MIDI? I can't see being able to do both at the same time and if you have to play the actual notes, forget it. I do not know how to play a sax or I'd just go out and buy a sax.
here's a video of SWAM being played with a breath controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BT9AMventU

Yeah, now that guy is using the BC3a and using his keyboard wheels for pitch bends, etc. Here's a guy demoing the TEC Controller. I think he's doing amazing things....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQpSDph_c4k

Return to “Instruments”