I Want Arturia To Make This

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs

Just like the Polymoog, there is nothing that sounds like this beast.

They already have one SEM made so it can't be a big stretch to string 8 of these together.

I would easily pay over $200 for such a VST. Maybe even $300.

wagtunes wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs

They already have one SEM made so it can't be a big stretch to string 8 of these together.

I'd like u-he to make something like that.

That's already what the SEM V does. It acts as an 8 voice version where you can independently set the parameters of different voices. It just does it with a more manageable interface that having 8 separate sets controls. But the end result is the same, just easier programming.

Arturia SEM V2 is alraedy polyphonic and has the "8 voice programmer" in teh advanced options to program certain parameters differently for 8 voices. This also includes e.g. the detuning (fine and/or course) and panning for the voices.

What is missing is a dedicated unison mode

If you want 8 separate SEMs you could simply use 8 instances of the plugin.

What is not possible is having each voice of a chord playing a totally different sound beyond what is possible with the 8 voice programmer where you could program up to 6 differrent parameters seperately for the 8 voices.
You could get something like that from 8 instances of the plugin nd using a voice distribution plugin like e.g. Polymind for Max for Live (works only with Live 9). I had used Polymind to get e.g. a polyphonic U-He Repro-1.

Actually SEM V2 has up to 32 voices (while you could only program 8 voices differently with the 8 voice programmer) so with long envelope release you should not get voice stealing.

The "Key follow" page in the advanced settings of SEM V2 allows programming key follow for up to 6 parameters. The mod matrix page allows to use up to 8 mod matrix slots with a selection of around 8 sources and 26 destinations.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu May 18, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs

I'd like u-he to make something like that.
+1

Video by Gforce, who make arguably some of the best analogue emulations out there.

But you want Arturia to make it, who make some of the worst?

Cool.

tehlord wrote:Video by Gforce, who make arguably some of the best analogue emulations out there.

Cool.
I only suggested Arturia because they already have an SEM. Sure, I'd like Gforce to make it. I doubt they will though. Otherwise, why haven't they already?

Ingonator wrote:Arturia SEM V2 is alraedy polyphonic and has the "8 voice programmer" in teh advanced options to program certain parameters differently for 8 voices. This also includes e.g. the detuning (fine and/or course) and panning for the voices.

What is missing is a dedicated unison mode

If you want 8 separate SEMs you could simply use 8 instances of the plugin.

What is not possible is having each voice of a chord playing a totally different sound beyond what is possible with the 8 voice programmer where you could program up to 6 differrent parameters seperately for the 8 voices.
You could get something like that from 8 instances of the plugin nd using a voice distribution plugin like e.g. Polymind for Max for Live (works only with Live 9). I had used Polymind to get e.g. a polyphonic U-He Repro-1.

Actually SEM V2 has up to 32 voices (while you could only program 8 voices differently with the 8 voice programmer) so with long envelope release you should not get voice stealing.

The "Key follow" page in the advanced settings of SEM V2 allows programming key follow for up to 6 parameters. The mod matrix page allows to use up to 8 mod matrix slots with a selection of around 8 sources and 26 destinations.
And it's that dedicated unison mode that's the deal breaker. The SEM, as it is right now, can't sound like that not without, as you said, stacking 8 instances of the plugin. Not the most ideal solution.

That's why I'd like a "true" Oberheim 8 voice.

tehlord wrote:"Video by Gforce, who make arguably some of the best analogue emulations out there.

Cool."
Whoa there.

I do prefer WOK's SEM over HY's...
But yeah, not much of an SEM guy myself. Maybe it's because I just needed eight of them at once :o

wagtunes wrote:
tehlord wrote:Video by Gforce, who make arguably some of the best analogue emulations out there.

Cool.
I only suggested Arturia because they already have an SEM. Sure, I'd like Gforce to make it. I doubt they will though. Otherwise, why haven't they already?
Perhaps because Dave Spiers is too busy being a hilarious bastard on the internet.

wagtunes wrote:The SEM, as it is right now, can't sound like that not without, as you said, stacking 8 instances of the plugin. Not the most ideal solution.

Technically, a 'true' 8-voice is stacking 8 instances, of the hardware.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The SEM, as it is right now, can't sound like that not without, as you said, stacking 8 instances of the plugin. Not the most ideal solution.

I understand. But in my DAW, that means 8 different tracks which certainly has to take up more CPU than having it all built into one track.

Yes, no?

Well, as has been mentioned in the vid, you'd tediously have to set up all the instances anyway, plus you'd have to set up MIDI to control all instances at the same time. So, ya, having it all in one plugin, with the advantages software brings with it, as having GUI functions which make it easy to set up the unison voices, would be a big advantage. Anyway, i'd think a OB-X, or OB-Xa emu would be more straight forward though?

wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

I understand. But in my DAW, that means 8 different tracks which certainly has to take up more CPU than having it all built into one track.

Yes, no?
Its not a given; I reckon it would be pretty dependent on the plugin (or more specifically the level and type of optimisations the developer had done) as to whether 8 monophonic instances used significantly more CPU than a single 8-voice-polyphonic instance where each voice was 'properly' independent of the others (rather than just being an instance of the same patch.)

But at the end of the day, if its the difference between wanting a thing, and either getting a less efficient version of that thing or not getting it, then... :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Independent of a missing Unison SEM V2 works nicely as a polyphonic synth (including the 8 voice programmer page for having up to 6 different parameters for each voice) and offers a bunch of advanced options not found in a real hardware Oberheim 8 voice synth which besides others also includes a Sub Osc, a second LFO and an Arpeggiator.

In the mod matrix at the advanced settings of SEM V2 it is even possible to modulate the morphable filter mode with e.g. an envelope and/or a LFO.

Using 8 monophonic instances of Arturia SEM V2 to emulate Unison (using the master tune for detuning voices) does not really seem to use too much CPU.
You could also use 8 polyphonic instances to create polyphonic unison which does not seem to be possible with the real thing.
On my Intel i5-3350P Quad Core CPU (modern i7 CPUs are much more powerful...) at Windows 10 64-bit and using Live 9.7.2 with 32 monophonic instances of SEM V2 played at once i get a CPU load of around 19% (display in Live 9). With 64 monophonic instances the load displayed in Live is around 38%. This might increase with a long release time and playing fast notes.

Of course it would be nice if Arturia adds dedicated Unison but if you really need it now using multiple instances seems to be a workaround and you could even use polyphonic Unison that way.

If i want each of the instances being played as a polyphonic voice (maybe with 8 slightly different patches) i would use the free Polymind Max 4 Live device in Live 9.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”