Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
The NAMM Show

The KVR Audio Instruments forum is sponsored by the Winter NAMM Show. More than a trade show, NAMM brings together the music, sound and event technology communities for exhibits, workshops, performances, events and much more. This year's show takes place January 25-28. See you there!

Read more at www.namm.org
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

OneOfManyPauls wrote:
when someone gives away that they aren't really knowledgeable about the technology then it's hard to know exactly why they actually like something.


You don't need to understand the technology to know if you like the sound of the thing or not.


I didn't say that you did, I said that it's hard know why one likes the sound of something when they make it clear that they don't understand the technology. People often like things because they believe that it is something that it isn't. The placebo effect punches above its weight class. People also say things that they don't mean when they're getting paid to do so. Technology assertions can be balanced independently. It doesn't matter if someone's getting paid to say that a certain product has a technological advantage which leads to a particular result if, in fact, the statement is true.

Like most of us, I can make value judgements for myself just by listening. I don't need reviewers to say "this sounds great." That's just an opinion. Saying this sounds great and is unique because it has X, Y, and Z, allows me to think about whether or not I have or need X, Y, and Z, and whether that will lead to an improvement for me.

I largely dismiss equipment recommendations from the technically ignorant because I've found that time bears out the weakness of their recommendations. It's the first thing that I look for with an unknown reviewer.
User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
 
3251 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

That last point is quite valid, but the contrary would also hold. Many a technical review may pass on the essence of musical sound and experience or at least focus too much on technicalities, thus forsaking what many of us crave for.
OneOfManyPauls
KVRian
 
554 posts since 17 Jul, 2016, from Wales, UK

Postby OneOfManyPauls; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

I suggest the Occam's Razor take on this is that someone with extensive experience of analog kit recognised something that sounded good to their ears and expressed that view in a podcast.
User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
 
3251 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

Bullseye :tu:
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

Fleer wrote:That last point is quite valid, but the contrary would also hold. Many a technical review may pass on the essence of musical sound and experience or at least focus too much on technicalities, thus forsaking what many of us crave for.


I think that it's far more rare that those things are as challenging to understand or appreciate. I can probably count on one hand the number of products that the usability or musicality was a defining factor despite technological weaknesses. So, in most cases, if those things are particularly relevant, then the technology is as well and, consequently, refer to my primary point.

That said, I do agree that a reviewer has to bring more than just a technology perspective to the table. However, like technology, usability and musicality can be independently evaluated. Again, it's not enough to say "this thing is very musical." That is just an opinion. You have to move beyond that and say "it's musical because of X,Y,and Z."

What I'm saying here is that wasn't a credible review, it was an endorsement and we have no idea why Ty is endorsing the product.
OneOfManyPauls
KVRian
 
554 posts since 17 Jul, 2016, from Wales, UK

Postby OneOfManyPauls; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

we have no idea why Ty is endorsing the product.


Occam's razor again: because he liked it. Also, it wasn't a review.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:19 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I suggest the Occam's Razor take on this is that someone with extensive experience of analog kit recognised something that sounded good to their ears and expressed that view in a podcast.


That's just a different way of saying that you trust blind recommendations. A much simpler explanation is that IK paid them to endorse the product and they did.
User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
 
3251 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

I get your point. But most reviews have to be taken with a grain or bag of salt, even when there's no monetary compensation. Sometimes the reviewer got an NFR. Sometimes the product was bought at a steep discount. And sometimes there was no discount at all but the reviewer feels he 'has' to like products he paid good money for.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:22 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

OneOfManyPauls wrote:
we have no idea why Ty is endorsing the product.


Occam's razor again: because he liked it. Also, it wasn't a review.


You don't understand, I'm not debating with you, I'm telling you, you don't know why he's endorsing the product. Your acceptance of his claims based on his explanation simply reflects your level of trust in blind recommendations.

Getting pedantic about whether it was a review or not is beside the point. He made questionable and unsupported claims to support his opinion. As I've said, you're certainly free to ignore all of this and just take what he says as gospel, but I'm not just talking to you.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

Fleer wrote:I get your point. But most reviews have to be taken with a grain or bag of salt, even when there's no monetary compensation. Sometimes the reviewer got an NFR. Sometimes the product was bought at a steep discount. And sometimes there was no discount at all but the reviewer feels he 'has' to like products he paid good money for.


Absolutely, you're basically supporting my POV here. We don't know what is motivating reviewers and it's rare to find an actual bad review, however, there are certainly bad products. So, the only thing that we can do is evaluate insights that can be externally corroborated.

So, I agree with "most," but that's not all. Some reviews are, in fact, better than others.
Whatever you want to call that, IMNSHO, it was an endorsement with very little thought behind any of it, and it was laughably bad.
User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
 
5504 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Postby Peter - IK Multimedia; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:45 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

I know it is hard for some to believe that people like a product that they do not, but Syntronik has been very well-received by its intended audience (I won't reiterate for like the fifth or sixth time who that audience is again in this thread, you're welcome) and we're happy to know that so many are enjoying it for their purposes. It is also great to get the point/counterpoint discussion to keep people - especially the intended audience of Syntronik - aware that it is available for those that would enjoy using it.

Oh, and there are 300+ multis in your IK User Area now if you have Syntronik. Just added this morning.
Follow IK on Image Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.

For the stuff without wading through pages of fluff, my posts: search.php?author_id=217907&sr=posts
User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
 
3251 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

:tu:
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
10599 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I know it is hard for some to believe that people like a product that they do not, .


No, not at all. I'm never surprised when marketing works.
User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
 
3251 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

Could be the quality of the product ;)
OneOfManyPauls
KVRian
 
554 posts since 17 Jul, 2016, from Wales, UK

Postby OneOfManyPauls; Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:16 am Re: Syntronik available now - Free version available too

No, it can't be that - that doesn't fit the narrative.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments