Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
spacekid
KVRian

979 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Postby spacekid; Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

trusampler wrote:Are there any audio demo's of the Alesis Andromeda you guys sampled available?

btw will syntronik have a working vst demo to test before purchasing?

They re-named it "Galaxy"..scroll down on the audio demos(I hope it's good..I'm away from audio when online). http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sy ... onik-audio
Bump1
KVRist

205 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Postby Bump1; Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

ghettosynth wrote:
Bump1 wrote:And then group the DCO-X synth as a JX-3P/8P/10 inspired synth? They are 3 completely different sounding synths.

JX8/JX10 are exactly the same hardware at the voice level, modulo voice count, obviously. The JX10 has two of the JX8 voice boards. There may be differences in software that could account for some difference in sound, e.g., eg times, however, they are anything but "completely different sounding."

The 3P, of course, has a completely different filter. However, it doesn't matter much with this product because they are all sample based synths and all of the filters are available with all of the interfaces, hence, the grouping is rather pointless anyway.

Then why not just throw the Juno 6/60 under the same group?

It's the exact same architecture as the JX3P except the envelopes are software generated. And the Juno is single osc....and does PWM but who cares because we're using presets anyway, right? And you can do PWM on the JX3P anyway.

Just trying to prove that IK is more about it's marketing sense as opposed to giving something that is just....better developed?
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

549 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:
Just trying to prove that IK is more about it's marketing sense as opposed to giving something that is just....better developed?

Guess Moog was the same way. ..from Wikipedia:

''The Minimoog was designed in response to the use of synthesizers in rock/pop music. Large modular synthesizers were expensive, cumbersome, and delicate, and not ideal for live performance; the Minimoog was designed to include the most important parts of a modular synthesizer in a compact package, without the need for patch cords."

So it appears that the Minimoog, a stripped down and limited version of the Moog Modular, was developed and marketed for a specific demographic. Just like Syntronk was.
Burillo
KVRAF

2644 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:03 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:This is an issue of semantics here. "raw oscillators" means the raw waveforms.

nope, it's not an issue of semantics. they did multisample "raw oscillators", so obviously they have "raw waveforms". they don't make them available to you, but that is a different issue - just because they don't make those waveforms available to you doesn't mean they didn't multisample them.
From Russia with love
LGK_Dude
KVRian

859 posts since 30 Dec, 2005

Postby LGK_Dude; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Also, we have six days (well technically a bit less than that) left to go before the preorder pricing on Syntronik is no longer available so if you are on the fence, it is getting closer to the point of no return.

And I'm still waiting for a walk through video showing how to modify / create a patch from scratch. i believe you mentioned in this thread that a video like that would be uploaded before the presale ends. Is that still the plan?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads
Bump1
KVRist

Postby Bump1; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:14 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Bump1 wrote:

''The Minimoog was designed in response to the use of synthesizers in rock/pop music. Large modular synthesizers were expensive, cumbersome, and delicate, and not ideal for live performance; the Minimoog was designed to include the most important parts of a modular synthesizer in a compact package, without the need for patch cords."

So it appears that the Minimoog, a stripped down and limited version of the Moog Modular, was developed and marketed for a specific demographic. Just like Syntronk was.

What demographic was Moog reaching out to? The "can't dedicate a 5x8 ft wall in my house to a monophonic synthesizer" demographic?

You're comparing that to targeting preset warriors?
Bump1
KVRist

Postby Bump1; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Burillo wrote:
Bump1 wrote:This is an issue of semantics here. "raw oscillators" means the raw waveforms.

nope, it's not an issue of semantics. they did multisample "raw oscillators", so obviously they have "raw waveforms". they don't make them available to you, but that is a different issue - just because they don't make those waveforms available to you doesn't mean they didn't multisample them.

You're splitting hairs here for what?

A preset is not a raw waveform. But you can continue chasing your tail.
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Bump1 wrote:

What demographic was Moog reaching out to? The "can't dedicate a 5x8 ft wall in my house to a monophonic synthesizer" demographic?

You're comparing that to targeting preset warriors?

Well if you take the complexity of the Modular and compare it to the limited palette of the Mini, then yes it is very comparable.
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:What demographic was Moog reaching out to? The "can't dedicate a 5x8 ft wall in my house to a monophonic synthesizer" demographic?

If you had carefully read the quote from Wikipedia, the answer to the demographic is right there....rock and pop musicians.
Burillo
KVRAF

2644 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:
Burillo wrote:

You're splitting hairs here for what?

A preset is not a raw waveform. But you can continue chasing your tail.

a preset is not a raw waveform, but just because they only have presets available to you doesn't mean they didn't multisample the raw waveforms used for those presets. it's not splitting hairs. you made a claim about a product that is incorrect, so i'm correcting you, because someone down the line might read your claim and make incorrect decision based on false information you presented. the fact that you use term definitions that are different from what is commonly understood by those terms is not my problem, and to correct you based on that is not splitting hairs.
Last edited by Burillo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Russia with love
Bump1
KVRist

Postby Bump1; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

JJ_Jettflow wrote:Well if you take the complexity of the Modular and compare it to the limited palette of the Mini, then yes it is very comparable.

It didn't take away the ability to build a patch from scratch though. It just took away modulation patch points that would make it harder to sound like you were farting into a portable fan.

Either way, fixed architecture synthesis the revolutionized the market.

It's a pretty safe bet to say Syntronik isn't even revolutionizing IK's own body of work.
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:It didn't take away the ability to build a patch from scratch though. It just took away modulation patch points that would make it harder to sound like you were farting into a portable fan.

Neither does Syntronik. What is the difference if you edit a patch or build one from scratch. Since in Syntronik you can edit the patches, what is stopping you from taking a patch that has the oscillators in it that you want and then adding the filter of your choice, since all filters are accessible in all presets and all models, and creating your patch that way??
Bump1
KVRist

Postby Bump1; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:35 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Bump1 wrote:What demographic was Moog reaching out to? The "can't dedicate a 5x8 ft wall in my house to a monophonic synthesizer" demographic?

If you had carefully read the quote from Wikipedia, the answer to the demographic is right there....rock and pop musicians.

And that shows you there was an actual need to fill. There was a legitimate demand because gigging musicians couldn't carry a modular rig on stage...let alone even dial up a patch efficiently.

Not really an honest comparison here. Fixed arch synthesis was truly groundbreaking and much needed by the performing industry.
Last edited by Bump1 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:It didn't take away the ability to build a patch from scratch though. It just took away modulation patch points that would make it harder to sound like you were farting into a portable fan.

It also took away the ability to add more modules and patch options. That a lot of versatility taken away.
JJ_Jettflow
KVRian

Postby JJ_Jettflow; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 am Re: Syntronik release date announced [was "Something's cooking at IK..."]

Bump1 wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:

And that shows you there was an actual need to feel. There was a legitimate demand because gigging musicians couldn't carry a modular rig on stage...let alone even dial up a patch efficiently.

Not really an honest comparison here. Fixed arch synthesis was truly groundbreaking and much needed by the performing industry.

Syntronik is perfect for me but who cares what I or anyone like me who would be attracted to this product wants, it not good for you so it has to be sh*t because your needs are all that matter and everything should be made just for you.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments