Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Taron
KVRAF

1773 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:36 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

AlienXXX wrote:@Taron
Really well deserved !
If you are taking requests - consider an effect version of LoTS, where you can feed any sound input to its tuned springs. A bit like a modelled spring reverb on steroids, I guess :D

I've already planned to explore input options! I could imagine for it to be fascinating, too! 8}
Alone just using the Body as effect, because it can supply a very organic and unique resonance complexity that otherwise would be hard to come by as far as I know. 8)

THANKS! :tu:
doctorbob
KVRian

755 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Awwwwwwww Steven ... I didn't give you a 1 ... please forgive me ....

dB
doctorbob
KVRian

755 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:41 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

@Taron - any thoughts then about the multitap like spring reverb with feedback to previous taps in the chain (under control of course!)???

I assume you have a circular buffer which your audio output handler services - shouldn't be too hard to take taps at various points in the buffer and feed them back etc ...

Looking forward to v3 though ...

dB

PS How was the beer? :)
nordickvr
KVRist

456 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Postby nordickvr; Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

@Taron
The same guy making the synth + the music with such skills is quite impressive.
Respect.
edit : Listened back to some other tracks to find out lots of really great music over there.
Congrats to all top rankers.
Last edited by nordickvr on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

doctorbob wrote:@Taron - any thoughts then about the multitap like spring reverb with feedback to previous taps in the chain (under control of course!)???

I assume you have a circular buffer which your audio output handler services - shouldn't be too hard to take taps at various points in the buffer and feed them back etc ...

Looking forward to v3 though ...

dB

PS How was the beer? :)

The beer was glorious! THANK YOU! And thanks for the donations, of course. :oops: :hug:

If only it was that easy to happily tap into a circular buffer. I have to still figure out an elegant approach to respond to changes in delay time and such. And then I also have to approach a more viable reverb like adjustment possibility, but I just now have a curious idea! :idea: random tuning for the Body springs. 8)
That could result in some pretty nicely dissolved reverberation. :phones:
Then there's the feedback behavior on such a construction...that could get pretty interesting. :ud:
mehum
KVRist

383 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Congrats to Taron and all the runner-ups! And good work, everyone! Hope to see you all in #101 :)
baalisoda
KVRist

35 posts since 7 Apr, 2017, from Vellore, Tamilnadu, India

Postby baalisoda; Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Hearty congrats to Taron and all the other top rankers (also big cheers to all the participants for coming up with variety of tracks)

Cheers, folks!
aluode
KVRist

72 posts since 1 Jan, 2005

Postby aluode; Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Congrats to all! :)

Antti
JKF Flashico
KVRist

91 posts since 28 Oct, 2012

Postby JKF Flashico; Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Congratz top five :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: and for everyones well done!
574X
KVRist

132 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

*bows deeply

For my prize I take my song I made using only one synth, for it lives on immortally, long after my westernized tantric vst demo escapades have ceased.
I also take my life! Wait…

Congratulations Taron, you are validated during your month of validation! :party: :clap:

Oh dear, you were almost eclipsed by the rare five-assed monkey!

I’m sad that mehum gave me a 1 for inharmonic frequencies.

AlienXXX, I see you have lots of things I can improve upon. What are your suggestions for me? Thanks.
mehum
KVRist

383 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

574X wrote:I’m sad that mehum gave me a 1 for inharmonic frequencies.

Please, don't take it too hard. I vote in bell curve - like fashion based on my enjoyment in relation to the other tracks. If we gave all tracks fives there wouldn't be much of a competition...

You've made a great accomplishment just by finishing a piece in this challenge. My relative enjoyment of the track at the time of voting means literally nothing.
RichardSemper
KVRist

382 posts since 30 Oct, 2013, from Stoke On Trent

Postby RichardSemper; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

Congrats to the winners! and well done everyone :tu:

Thanks to all those who commented - much appreciated :hug: and sorry I am not able to make objective comments on all tracks at the moment. (personal issues)

Taron - your synth is inspirational: kudos for a unique concept :o I for one like the layout, and the description field changing on hovering over a control works well for me, much prettier than lots of labels imo. The body is a great way to add character and space to any sound. I particularly like the pitchbend and microtuning options, which give this a unique performance potential :tu:
Unfortunately I was unable to pull off the 'theremin' trick shown in your video, don't know what I'm doing wrong, but for me it sounds like running fingers along the keyboard making a trill rather then the smooth transition you were getting. :dog:
Only issues I noted whilst using:
1. Saving a noise based patch with pitchbend set to 0 caused loss of sound from that instance, reload needed to fix but happened again unless patch resaved with pitchbend >0
2. Delay times sound wrong when reloading a project. Reloading each patch using delays fixes it, and I think moving the delay parameters might set it right too. (something I forgot to check in my final mixdown)
Just sorry I did not have the time or inspiration to do justice to your creation. What I submitted was really not up to scratch, and this was def down to me and not the synth. Hopefully I can do a better job when v3 comes around.

I know this is all a bit late, but its really all I have time for right now. I hope its useful feedback.
http://www.richardsemper.com/
When was the Last Time you did something for the First Time.
574X
KVRist

132 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

mehum wrote: If we gave all tracks fives there wouldn't be much of a competition...

You've made a great accomplishment just by finishing a piece in this challenge.

The funny thing I used to compete professionally so music is the antithesis of that for me, even if it's called a competition. This is a school to me.

That is the first that I've heard of a bell curve approach here. Interesting, I just rate people as individuals so that they can feel like they've gotten feedback as such.

I just try to be helpful and creative, and it takes many forms. I'm very glad that you also understand how valuable it is to participate with an OSC entry. I, too have said the same thing many times here.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

@RichardSemper:
OH NO, this is GREAT feedback! I'll check into all of this, except the theremin thing:
- grab the NEEDLE (for spring A) and hold on to it, while you move it "over the keys" or anywhere, actually. I just move over the keys for orientation, but am actually holding on the tuning needle!

That's how that works. I didn't realize that this could be confusing, probably because I'm just too used to it already and I did consider it a gimmick. Yet, it's really super powerful. I love using it!

So, those are some really ominous troubles you're having, which is AWESOME! I likely would've never noticed. Naturally, I have to check first, but this makes you perfect Beta material and I hope you stick around on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=485805&hilit=Lord+of+the+Springs&start=45

That would be awesome! I'll post news there for sure. 8)

@574X:
574X wrote:*bows deeply

For my prize I take my song I made using only one synth, for it lives on immortally, long after my westernized tantric vst demo escapades have ceased.
I also take my life! Wait…

HAHA, I love the melancholic darkness of it, but especially in these weird times, it's not really joking material. :dog: :lol: :? :P
It's never fully clear what hits the spot for everyone, of course. Mean spikes can be the poop in the punchbowl, of course, but some take it harder than others.
Anyway, thank you for putting up with LotS and giving it a good shot. I know you can do amazingly better, of course, as you've shown already, but this was not an easy one to tackle. Thus: KUDOS! No matter what!

That goes for everybody, too, of course.

Still... a really, really big up to zarf, whose song started probably awkward to some folks, but developed into something so gorgeous, so natural that it gave me a bunch of happy tears, honestly.
@zarf:
I meant to mention that earlier. I do have a special relationship to any song made with LotS, of course, but someone, who took it by it's springs and made it work in its own nature as beautifully as this deserves a mention and much more. I hope, you will allow me to showcase your song on LotS' website. Maybe we could have a look at the intro part...maybe a tiny bit of editing, but then it would certainly be a pearl!
asi4
KVRist

55 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Postby asi4; Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 am Re: One Synth Challenge #100: Lord of the Springs (Taron Wins!)

My congratulations to the winners and all participants!
For me the vote was very difficult due to the large number of good tracks.
Unfortunately, some cool tracks were not even in the top ten. I really liked the tracks by Mark Edwards Sounds, Peter H., eraze the borders and Generaldiomedes.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments