Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Taron
KVRAF

1813 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

C64...would I be in my element! :hug:
As for slower integers, well, there are things I just can't regret! :phew:

Almost ready for the next release, but I need to do a bunch of tests first. The stupid banks vs. single presets logic can be kind of daunting, really. Seems so obvious and simple, but then it isn't, when you try to make an elegant GUI for it. :shrug:

I like where it's headed, though! I hope you all will, too. :pray:
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Wow, it's always amazing again just how many little things one has to consider when making something as sensitive as a little file browser.
I've decided to treat it rather absolute. As soon as you choose a bank, any changes you do to its content will automatically save the bank. It felt a little scary to me, but that's what would happen in most file explorers, no?
A bank is simply a folder.

So, yeah, I'm a little scared to toss all of this over to you, hoping you'll get along with it, but at the same time it is very, very neat! :ud: ...I'm a tiny bit amazed by what I'm doing there. It's not my normal playground: file management. :pray:
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Almost there!

I'm dealing with SetFocus() matters as well, which are quite exciting, but I still need to figure out more. Currently I made it so you only have to leave the LotS window with the mouse to get DAW focus again, no click necessary. This makes it a bit more pleasant. I think, I need some way to communicate with the win32frame to make this even more elegant to make sure my CTextEdit rename functions will always keep focus during editing. But also the mouseWheel needs the focus, which is another extra little challenge for me...still.

Anyway, the preset editor is in a good state already. Probably still some minor kinks here and there, but well... almost there. :pray:
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:00 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

HERE WE GO! (duck'n'cover)

Lord of the Springs v2.0.2
In the preset menu, use...
[*]DOUBLE CLICK to load a preset or bank!
[*]RIGHT CLICK to remove programs or delete files!

When NOISE is activated (Spring B diffusion at 100%) Spring B's low and high frequency range dials become NOISE FILTER frequency and resonance!
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:37 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Hotfix... bank saving works fine again.
I did a clever little mechanism to check loaded DAW projects, if you use presets from a bank and if they have changed from what's on the bank. It works, but I forgot to make sure it doesn't check after saving the bank. :dog: ...it's all good. And I was really hoping not to go into hotfix frenzies....
...who knows what's gonna come after you guys put it through the ringer. :scared: :wheee:

I have a feeling my last minute changes could have a bunch of stumbles... :?
...tomorrow I shall take a deep breath and see that I carefully comb through the preset GUI stuff one more big time.

To you this all shouldn't be too dramatic, I hope/believe. All the audio features are locked and fine as far as I can tell.
planetearth
KVRian

1195 posts since 10 Jul, 2006, from Tampa

Postby planetearth; Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:53 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Thanks for the updates, Taron! I didn't see this addressed here, so I'll ask: Will this work alongside the original LOTS, or should I just remove that one and use this one? I don't know if you have it set to be the same VST (with the same ID) or not.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Replace, yes! It's really an update. I should have a more elegant system, which might make it easier for hotfixes, because I'll have to do some for SURE!

Anyway, yes, replace the previous version. They will have the same ID. I've also done a conversion for sounds that were using NOISE before, so that should all be fine.

I've just NOW noticed a bunch of troubles with my preset GUI that weren't there before, but I'm too tired to fix it right now. I tried, but well... it'll be fixed tomorrow!
Frostline
KVRist

155 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

@Taron
While you were busy coding I was busy doing a fresh Win10 install.
Was wondering if something I had altered in Reaper from stock had caused issues.
So only addition from stock was ReaPack to get a dark theme. No SWS or additional scripts.

Tried new version.

Preset interface works well. Nice additional presets too. :phones:

Adding automation lanes does not freak out the GUI(at least with brief test of Spring A). :party:

Old FXB saves with noise are wonky but worth it for the new noise controls. :tu:

Issues so far:
1. Init patch on fresh instance is very loud until any adjustment to Spring B volume (even turning it up to 2.00) and then it is fine.

2. Global volume causes huge full spectrum sound if turned past 1.990 even if no notes playing.

3. Spring A decay @1.0 notes still play forever after release. Could be considered a feature maybe :lol:

Appreciate the hard work you are putting in. :hail:
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:34 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

That really is weird stuff, Frostline!
I don't understand those 3 issues, but I'll have a look tomorrow. Very strange stuff indeed! I wonder, if you have a sustain pedal issue, like it's always on? It's like you're simply not getting note off messages... :shrug:...very weird.
That doesn't explain the first or second issue, though...maybe the second.
So, there's something very uniquely strange about your setup. :? ...but I can't even think straight right now.

Is anybody else out there, who can confirm those things? That would actually help so I won't have to chase ghosts beyond the spooky beasts in my preset GUI. But that's all me, though...I screwed up there a little and have to sort things out again. Too much coding, too little sleep. :zzz:

Just took a little look into Reaper and it's all fine here.
Sometimes, if you changed decay during playing, it can hold a sound unexpectedly, but playing the note again will stop it. I've also added a cute little "PANIC" button up there, just in case.
None of the other things are happening here, though. :shrug:
aciddose
KVRAF

11316 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:02 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Amplitude issue verified here: seems like a problem with init since the value of the parameter internally (amplitude variable) doesn't match the value on the GUI. If you tweak the knob and return to the original position the problem is gone.

Perhaps a switch statement is missing a break or similar?

Check any buffers (arrays) accessed which exist before the amplitude variable[s]. May be a buffer overrun.
http://xhip.net/synth/ Xhip Synthesizer v8 released 21 May 2017
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:18 pm Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Hmmm...1st of all, why am I still awake? But, no, I think, I know what could cause discrepancies there. It's likely still part of the preset changes I did at last second. I did a compare with existing parameters, but might've messed up somewhere in there. I'll fix it tomorrow. Strange, only, that I haven't noticed the volume thing. I'll be careful tomorrow.
THANKS! :tu:
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:09 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Danged, I don't have that issue, this is so annoying. Are you saying, when you load up LotS and simply start playing, there is some amplitude issue? What would I have to do to experience this?
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:58 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

I've released a kind of "hotfix" to the preset GUI, which is still a bit messy, but should at least function more reliably.
I still have no clue what amplitude issues you are talking about, though...
which version, 64bit or 32bit?
What do I have to do to run into this: Just loading up a new instance and play?
Frostline
KVRist

155 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Taron wrote:I've released a kind of "hotfix" to the preset GUI, which is still a bit messy, but should at least function more reliably.
I still have no clue what amplitude issues you are talking about, though...
which version, 64bit or 32bit?
What do I have to do to run into this: Just loading up a new instance and play?

https://youtu.be/eJOHcVqH4P8

Just load up and hit a key. In video I'm using the LotS keyboard.

So is there a 3rd V2 out?

In what was for me last night's update I could not name the presets in the GUI. I could create and name a bank, but the preset would all say init and could not figure out how to change the names.

Also is there a way for the body to be stimulated more quickly when using low notes. There is a large gap between Spring A hit and when the body sounds. Gap diminishes when hitting higher keys.

Also when Spring A volume off and Spring B diffuse to noise (just wanting the noise). The decay of Spring A still effects the sound duration. Is this intended?
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am Re: Lord of the Springs v2- The New Powers

Very, VERY fascinating. That never happened or happens here. :o
Also, yes, there's a new download ready that fixes the preset troubles. Currently, when reloading a project, it will not point you to the bank you're preset was from, but that's a small price to pay for having everything else work fine, I suppose.

As for the initialization madness, that's something I could address with some imagination, but even in Reaper I don't have that here. It's so very strange. :shrug: ...either way, I can force some extra initialization, I suppose.

Could you try to load up LotS and then change your BPM in Reaper before you hit a note!? That might be helpful for me!

OH, and, yes, the decay chain is intended: Spring A is MASTER, Spring B is ...eh...employee? :lol: (no slaves here!)
Let me rephrase: Spring A is PRIMARY and B is SECONDARY. This is in the nature of the system architecture right now and keeps things simple. The moment I start to branch off, things will get more troublesome, I imagine. I've added the NOISE for us, so we have more to work with, but I wouldn't want to toss over the nature of LotS right now.

The Body coming later for low notes... I'm not sure what you mean, because I can't really get that here either.
Danged, you're really challenging me. Anyhow...about the body...the Body is essentially a frame with all the springs mounted on top. Playing a low frequency vibrates slower and stimulates the array of springs more gradually. Since all springs are tuned, resonance behavior is also depending on what stimulates the frame.
I know, all of this is not exactly what people expect from a "synth", but that's mostly because LotS isn't really a synth. It's literally a simulation of springs, expressed acoustically. This isn't very common, as far as I know, but it provides a curious and conceivably attractive addition to the normal "gene pool" of VSTs.
:borg: :borg: :borg: :ud: :borg: :borg:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments