JP8000 supersaw...some questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I'd like to get some opinions about which supersaw emulation sounds closest to an actual JP8000.
I have Diva, and I trust u-he to emulate the shiz outta the hardware in question, but are there any others which really get it right? How do Sylenth1, Spire, Synthmaster 2, LuSH-101, JP6k, and Alex Shore's Reaktor ensemble JP-4c hold up in comparison?
I'd like to be fussy here and keep the conversation to Roland-style 7-detuned saws supersaw emus, and not Virus hypersaws (9 saws), so if any of the above-mentioned synths do something different other than 7 saws please correct me. :tu: And if I've missed something please shout!

And a related question, is there anything "special" about the JP8000 filter? The JP6k apparently models the filter too. Which filter in Diva sounds closest to an actual JP8000?
Thanks a lot guys. Yes, I'm being ridiculously pedantic about this, I know. :oops: 8) :hihi:

About the JP6k filter, what I remember is that Adam bought the code from another guy. And I don't believe it was modeled on the JP8000 filter.

As far as the oscillator, Diva seems to have the closest Supersaw emulation. It actually has the whole osc section of the JP80x0.

Hey xalama. Electra2 also has 2 dedicated JP-8k waveforms, one clean without much aliasing, and one dirty, with aliasing, like in the original synth. It doesn't have the option to spread the unison voices over the stereo panorama though, and the oscillators are mono, so, apart from the detuning spread, you don't have many options there, and it also doesn't have JP-8k filters. Spire emulates the detuning law (if it's called like that... the way the parameter spreads the detuning of the unison voices, see Adam Szabo's paper) of the JP-8k, when you turn the Density parameter in the OSC section to 100%, the detuning laws are the same as on the Jp-8k, and, of course, you can also set 7x unison, and leave the ANA option on, which enables free running oscillators. Like Electra2, it doesn't have the JP-8k filter though.

Totally forgot about this little supersaw-synth I made years ago. Based on this very paper and completely free. :)

http://www.box.net/shared/un1y5d6efbh14ut4s83m/

I remember "emulating" the detuning law of the JP-8k in Dune 1/BE. Sounded like cr**. :hihi:

Sunrizer!

Just use this
http://wokwave.com/old-plugins/html/sup ... k_vst.html
together with any synth.... :D

ImageImage

Not a very exciting or original sound to begin with, but I found that Xhip does a really nice supersaw with up to 16 unison voices which you can even multiply and pan.

LuSH-101 has supersaw section modelled after JP8000. It does have this something in it, however I didn't spend that much time with this oscillator to tell if it's good.

Following Adam Szabo's thesis, I had some very satisfactory results with Serum and even Harmor. Actually the half of trick is the chorus, pick TAL chorus for this one.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:LuSH-101 has supersaw section modelled after JP8000. It does have this something in it, however I didn't spend that much time with this oscillator to tell if it's good.

Following Adam Szabo's thesis, I had some very satisfactory results with Serum and even Harmor. Actually the half of trick is the chorus, pick TAL chorus for this one.
You might be thinking of the Juno 106 :wink:

It´s not only the saw. In my opinion The JP´s filtersound and the special envelope are also important for a real JP emulation.

DJ Warmonger wrote:LuSH-101 has supersaw section modelled after JP8000. It does have this something in it, however I didn't spend that much time with this oscillator to tell if it's good.

Earlier I compared lush 101 to the above mentioned Reaktor ensemble and noticed that there's amp attenuation when you play with the filter in lush. Is that by design? It's rather annoying!

chk071 wrote:I remember "emulating" the detuning law of the JP-8k in Dune 1/BE. Sounded like cr**. :hihi:
Yep. Luckily in V2, its emulated perfectly (if you like that kinda thing) using one osc and the correct settings.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I completely forgot about Sunrizer! :dog:

I love LuSH to bits but I read here recently that the supersaw is 9 saws (?!!) Seems like an odd choice for such a Rolandy synth. Can anyone confirm this? I also wonder what LuSH's "normal" filter mode is based on?

I'll be checking out Stargate now, thanks! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”