JP8000 supersaw...some questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stargate sounds very good! Pity it isn't a full synth! Nicely done.

I just quickly did a very unscientific gut-feel comparison between Diva and LuSH. In Diva I preferred the Cascade filter to the Multimode filter, for whatever that's worth, but I felt LuSH had more of the right vibe, and I preferred the "normal" filter to the SH-101 filter. Diva seemed warmer, but my impression of a real JP-8000 leans more towards the LuSH sound.

Obviously there's tons of overlap and with tweaking you could and should be able to get them to sound very very close. And as mentioned before, with Diva you get the whole JP-8000 oscillator section, not just a supersaw tacked onto an SH-101! (how rude of me! )

Would be interested to hear from others. Again, astounded by how good Sunrizer sounds! And crazy low CPU. Must resist.

JP-8000 has a very clean digital filter. You can't get Diva to sound like that :hihi:

Urs wrote:JP-8000 has a very clean digital filter. You can't get Diva to sound like that :hihi:
it's a joke , right.

Ah, thanks Urs for popping in! Good to hear your opinion on the filter. That's probably why LuSH's normal filter sounds right to me...it's not a "character" filter.
It's really great to have the various flavors Diva provides too.

As a matter of interest could the JP-8000 filter be compared to the filter in the D50 or JD800/JD990?

xalama qo wrote:As a matter of interest could the JP-8000 filter be compared to the filter in the D50 or JD800/JD990?
I don't recall the filter sound of the D-50, I just recall the funky concept they used to shape the sawtooth waveform behind the filter on the square wave.

The JD800 however had one of the first digitalfilters that allowed for a lot of resonance. It sounded horrible IMHO, with a lot of digital artifacts. Nothing like the juicy filter Kawai put into the K-4 (which had a bad firmware initially). It's been a long way since, my memory might fail me.

The JP-8000 filter is *okay*. More like the K-4 one, more control, "just works". It has no particular character as far as I remember, un,ike the Virus one, it seems to be a plain & state of the art digital filter. Which makes sense, because "character" is what is done in the JP-8000 oscillator. A characterful filter would probably have worked against that.

Thanks again Urs, really cool to have your insights here :tu:
A related question...why did you opt to go for such unusual "supersaw" voice counts in Zebra? 1, 2, 4, and 11. Were you deliberately avoiding comparison to the 7 or 9 saw hardware megasaws? Or just doing what you felt sounded best to you?

tehlord wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:LuSH-101 has supersaw section modelled after JP8000. It does have this something in it, however I didn't spend that much time with this oscillator to tell if it's good.

Following Adam Szabo's thesis, I had some very satisfactory results with Serum and even Harmor. Actually the half of trick is the chorus, pick TAL chorus for this one.
You might be thinking of the Juno 106 :wink:
Uhm not? As far as I see, Juno 106 doesn't even have a supersaw.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

xalama qo wrote:Thanks again Urs, really cool to have your insights here :tu:
A related question...why did you opt to go for such unusual "supersaw" voice counts in Zebra? 1, 2, 4, and 11. Were you deliberately avoiding comparison to the 7 or 9 saw hardware megasaws? Or just doing what you felt sounded best to you?
Cause it goes up to eleven.

fanodu1 wrote:
I don't think you understood his question. He's asking why you can't choose 7 or 9 or any other number besides 1,2,4,11
~Pyrotek45

Pyrotek45 wrote:
fanodu1 wrote:
I don't think you understood his question. He's asking why you can't choose 7 or 9 or any other number besides 1,2,4,11
Oh, well yeah that seems like an odd restriction.

You can get the System-8 synth from Roland cloud beta.. Free.
No saving patches, i think. (only with S8-hardware on SD card)
(Maybe save as DAW/whatever host-preset!?.. dunno, must test.)
If interested..
- WonderEcho -

Klinke1 wrote:You can get the System-8 synth from Roland cloud beta.. Free.
This sounds interesting...thanks for the heads up.

fanodu1 wrote:Cause it goes up to eleven.

:lol: :D :clap:

Best played in D minor, the saddest key! :hihi:

http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer

GUI certanly looks the part..the Sound No idea

although i do remember the jp8000 had a "feedback Oscillator" and thats missing from sunrizer
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Instruments”