Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
nichttuntun
KVRist

417 posts since 21 Nov, 2017

Postby nichttuntun; Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am Re: FM synth recommendations please?

"Prejudice" is an interpretation. Didn't say and didn't mean that. :)
wagtunes
KVRAF

12605 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 am Re: FM synth recommendations please?

I like Nemesis for what it sounds like. Not for the kind of synth it is, which matters little to me.
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

14018 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 am Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Avenger has become a very capable FM synth ever since they introduced cross FM between oscillators, so now one can use all synthesis methods in Avenger either as modulator or carrier which yields pretty amazing results.
liquidsound
KVRAF

2930 posts since 30 May, 2006, from Hollow Earth

Postby liquidsound; Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Bengal if you use Live and M4L
MuLab.Ableton.Diva.Zebra.Repro-1.Dune2.The Legend.ArcSyn.Spire.TAL
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

wagtunes wrote:I like Nemesis for what it sounds like. Not for the kind of synth it is, which matters little to me.

I totally do understand that.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Avenger has become a very capable FM synth ever since they introduced cross FM between oscillators, so now one can use all synthesis methods in Avenger either as modulator or carrier which yields pretty amazing results.

I know. A little sound designers monster dream synth :D

But I am more looking for an 6 or 8 operators (let me dream) based pure FM synth with lots of grittyness and character and with a modulation matrix that is capable of modulating every parameter of the synth (let me dream again). There will be the day some nerdy freaks will do such a thing, I am sure :hihi:

P.S.
Hi Simon, I am using Cubase.
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:02 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Augren wrote:I used to use Sytrus for FM back in the day until I switched to the mac. IL still haven't managed a proper mac version of Sytrus, so I grabbed Bazille, intrigued by the cabling flexibility.
Should have done that sooner mind you, I haven't gotten that kind of FM quality out of anything else to date. Comes at the expense of CPU cycles depending on the modulation choices and polyphony.

I haven't really explored Zebra's FM capabilities much, so I can't comment on that.

Yes BAZILLE is just awesome. Got everything from U-he and like it a lot. But I searching for pure FM.
Halonmusic
KVRian

1426 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

nichttuntun wrote:
Augren wrote:I used to use Sytrus for FM back in the day until I switched to the mac. IL still haven't managed a proper mac version of Sytrus, so I grabbed Bazille, intrigued by the cabling flexibility.
Should have done that sooner mind you, I haven't gotten that kind of FM quality out of anything else to date. Comes at the expense of CPU cycles depending on the modulation choices and polyphony.

I haven't really explored Zebra's FM capabilities much, so I can't comment on that.

Yes BAZILLE is just awesome. Got everything from U-he and like it a lot. But I searching for pure FM.

Then I would recommend Dexed. As pure as it gets.
- 32bit for Life, 32bit Forever -
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

darksynth wrote:Rob Papen Blue II
https://www.robpapen.com/blue2.html
up to 6 oscillators can be FM configured in 32 ways
can mix FM with other types of synthesis
has a very powerful FX section
comes loaded with a huge preset bank

Thank you. This one seems to be very interesting in terms of true FM and a deep modulation matrix and the X/Y sweeping-panel. Soundwise I am not so sure yet. All the presets demos on YT sound kinda clean and more towards EDM (not meant in a negative way :D ). But most videos didn´t showcase the FM operations sadly.

I got the feeling that BLUE 2 is a bit like ZEBRA which I already own. Please keep in mind, I like hybrid-Synth a lot but here I really want to look for a very complex FM-Synth or one that has complex FM-features beside others.

I still got these questions for BLUE 2:
- Can you just push the different aspects of BLUE over ZEBRA or better over other FM-Synth a bit further?
- Can I use all 6 operators as FM operators AND use the huge modulating matrix for many parameters too? (In that case this would be exactly what I was looking for)
- Due to the clean sounding demo videos...can BLUE 2s FM-engine get to that typical gritty and artifactly sound like old digital hardware PD or FM synth have?
- How about registration? Is there an online validation system (I truely hope no) or dongle based protection?
- On how many machines can I install BLUE 2

Sorry for so many questions. I am really interested...Cheers
Vertion
KVRist

380 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Postby Vertion; Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Many synths are 'FM capable', but not all synths are 'FM dedicated'.

This thread actually make me look in my collection. There are too many FM synths to count. Tasty timbres I found for freebies such as Ganymed, but so many differing flavors of sound in each FM synth.
szurcio
KVRian

706 posts since 24 Nov, 2005

Postby szurcio; Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:21 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

I really like TubeOhm's T-FM - but it's 32-bit only.
skyscape
KVRist

138 posts since 22 Oct, 2005, from Australia

Postby skyscape; Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Aurora is great, and it's cheap too. http://www.audionebula.ca/
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

So it's done for me. I watched the Rob Papen livestreams for about 2 hours and I am totally convinced BLUE 2 is a great addition to the arsenal. It's great for the XY modulation options and the modulation matrix alone. Reminds me a bit of the Wavestation A/D I owned back in the days. This and the other options combined with real fat and snappy sounding FM gave me the last push...Thank you.
discoDSP
KVRAF

3554 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby discoDSP; Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:56 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

Phantom https://www.discodsp.com/phantom/

Discovery / Discovery Pro can do FM too https://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects
Vertion
KVRist

380 posts since 29 Oct, 2016

Postby Vertion; Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

discoDSP wrote:Phantom https://www.discodsp.com/phantom/

Discovery / Discovery Pro can do FM too https://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/

I have Phantom, I actually tried it out earlier today along with a flurry of other FM-dedicated synths. I slapped some overdrive distortion on it to really bring out those inner timbres. Beautiful sounds can be found in those oscillators. For some reason I love the preset 'Odd Lead 2' that comes with it. Would love to see a Phantom 2.
discoDSP
KVRAF

3554 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby discoDSP; Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm Re: FM synth recommendations please?

:tu: I would also love Phantom 2 happening but there are other important projects running :)
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments