Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
ilmai
KVRist

181 posts since 25 Aug, 2016, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby ilmai; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:58 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

First time in One Synth Challenge for me. Sound design is not my strong suit and I had a difficult time taming the synth, so I decided to just embrace the chaos ;) Drums and the bass are presets, lead sound and pad are the results of experimentation. I set the time signature to 9/4 on a whim and unleashed hell. Overall, this was a super fun challenge out of my comfort zone.

http://soundcloud.com/ilmai/sir-we-have-a-problem

Bitwig Studio 2.1.2
7x Spiral Generator 2.1.1 (one per drum sound + bass + pad + lead)

Bitwig devices used:
5x Tool for auto-panning and stereo width
1x Transient Control for enhancing drum attack
1x Delay for the lead sound
1x Reverb for creating even more chaos at the end of the song
1x Multiband FX-2 on the master bus to make sure bass frequencies are mono
1x Compressor on the master bus
1x Peak Limiter on the master bus

Other VSTs used:
1x Youlean Loudness Meter 1.5.0 BETA for checking loudness & peaks
] Peter:H [
KVRist

271 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:39 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

] de:leted [
574X
KVRist

144 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

When I suggested this synthesizer, it was actually free.

Now the site is mining email addressees. How embarrassing.

Especially at a time like this.

I am disillusioned.
Taron
KVRAF

1985 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

574X wrote:When I suggested this synthesizer, it was actually free.

I am disillusioned.

Don't be! Within a short period of time I come to understand why people try different things to somehow gain the freedom to continue doing what they know they want to/have to do. This is a very challenging thing and it can easily appear like opportunism. I come to understand that it is not. Just that some approaches seem "uglier" than others. I'd forgive him! :tu:
Plus...it's still "free"!
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2909 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

I am disillusioned.

Wowwww, so many things wrong with what you just said. First of all, the direct download link is available from the OSC website because I wanted all of you to have easy access to the plugin. As for my potential future customer base who are visiting my website and have no idea of OSC, I'd like them to know there is a newsletter where they can sign up and be notified of updates and future products that I will be working on that I think are worth some attention.

F***. We devs are working hard to fulfill our dreams of creating a successful business and you have to complain that there's a newsletter checkbox before you get your download.

Edit: This is the first and last time I will address the one complainer out of many grateful people.

Edit: I thought the direct download was on the OSC website, I guess not.

Here it is: http://www.elanhickler.com/Soundemote/S ... ator_2.zip
nickamandote
KVRist

399 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Postby nickamandote; Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

OK, so I have a kick drum, plays fine at the start but in the middle of the song is so much quieter /or almost inexistant, any way how to avoid this? Thanks.

PS: one idea would be volume automation I guess.. ?
mehum
KVRist

406 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

nickamandote wrote:OK, so I have a kick drum, plays fine at the start but in the middle of the song is so much quieter, any way how to avoid this? Thanks.

Check your envelopes. Try setting them to always retrigger.
nickamandote
KVRist

Postby nickamandote; Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

mehum wrote:
nickamandote wrote:OK, so I have a kick drum, plays fine at the start but in the middle of the song is so much quieter, any way how to avoid this? Thanks.

Check your envelopes. Try setting them to always retrigger.

Any hint how to do that please? FL Studio 12 user. Thanks!
mehum
KVRist

406 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:54 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

I'm on my phone currently but if I recall correctly.: above each of the envelopes there's a bar describing trigger behavior. It has settings like Always, Never and Legato, I think.
nickamandote
KVRist

Postby nickamandote; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:01 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

mehum wrote:I'm on my phone currently but if I recall correctly.: above each of the envelopes there's a bar describing trigger behavior. It has settings like Always, Never and Legato, I think.

OK, thanks, set to Never but sounds a little strange like it lost power..

So I just cloned the track and works fine... thank you anyway!!
nickamandote
KVRist

Postby nickamandote; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

My submission...

https://soundcloud.com/nickamandote/nic ... rone-sos-1

Fl Studio 12

8x Spiral Generator 2
8x Fruity Parametric EQ2
1x Fruity Delay
1x TDR Kotelnikov
1x W1 Limiter

DR11
Last edited by nickamandote on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2909 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Sounds like a bug. :(

Set envelopes to retrigger, there should be something called "Env Reset" on the GUI. Set that to always. Although, I don't think any setting should produce this behavior.
KVRist

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:06 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

I am disillusioned.

I'm, cool with that. Provide just one of those Throw-Away-Mail Addresses and all'd be good... take one of those services...it will keep your inbox clean ;-) Here's just a collection I've googled for you https://www.raymond.cc/blog/temporary-e ... ding-spam/
KVRist

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Architeuthis wrote:
Sounds like a bug. :(

Set envelopes to retrigger, there should be something called "Env Reset" on the GUI. Set that to always. Although, I don't think any setting should produce this behavior.

I'm sorry to say, Architeuthis, but an really, really, and I mean really important part in selling things is "expectation management": What can your potential customer expect and even more importand what not!

A short analysis: I feel we have here an pre-alpha software (just look it up in google..."alpha" is a common term in sw dev). I think most of the guys here are willing to help you to alpha-test your software...huh...we are here to build tracks with synths!? ... why are we supposed to do the testing for your developer, the testing your developers have obviously missed to do!? Got it?
If we knew from the beginning this is alpha and that this software needs a whole lot of testing before it is ready to build tracks...This clear and transparent communication to the OSC community would have been key to manage expectations! But sorry, tell me what is in it for us if we do the alpha testing for you btw? Do you give a licence to all the guy that reported bugs?
Think about what has happend instead: people have started using it, building tracks with it, only to find out they run into bug after bug...Can you probably imagine that this is a devastating approach to handling future customers? They will find this OSC thread, when googling for your synth, be sure about that and they will see a lot of problems.
And I've actually stopped using it, because I'm in when it comes to a good experiment, but I'm out if I feel I'm used as an alpha software tester and don't know it.
BUT: This is not meant to be frustrating you. Your software has potential. But please when you release it into the wild be sure YOU know about the state of your software and tell it to the customers as well.
Just a tipp of a IT professional.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments