Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
TrojakEW
KVRist

94 posts since 20 Mar, 2012

Postby TrojakEW; Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:35 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

nickamandote wrote:My second preliminary version... please post what you like and don't... thanks. Will probably have a 3rd one as well...

Regarding sound it sounds good, kick have punch,hats and other sounds are clear but... It is hard for me to tell more since this style is not my cup of tea. For me it is too "artificial" style. Repeating, simple, no syncopation and so on. But I'm sure that there are people that like this 80s style techno music and will tell you more.
mehum
KVRist

383 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

] Peter:H [ wrote:.....

Uhm... What's in it for us? We get a new toy to play it without anyone charging us for it. This is certainly not the buggiest plugin we've encountered in OSC. This time we have the benefit of a developer that is actually active in developing the synth and potentially fix the bugs.
] Peter:H [
KVRist

141 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

mehum wrote:

Uhm... What's in it for us? We get a new toy to play it without anyone charging us for it. This is certainly not the buggiest plugin we've encountered in OSC. This time we have the benefit of a developer that is actually active in developing the synth and potentially fix the bugs.

Pst, please don't tell anyone, mehum...so just for your ears. I like the idea of the synth, I think it has potential. Just want to help by sharing my experience how to deal with sw dev to make it a success...my previous post was meant to challenge the developers to make up their minds about how they handle these things a bit more professional than they do right now...But again, mehum...Don't tell anyone ;-)
mehum
KVRist

383 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Promise :)
Taron
KVRAF

1773 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:11 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Stop, Peter, please! I'm a film industry professional, entertainment industry professional and multimedia professional for 30 years, creating not just digital content, supervising entire productions and head of research and development on major Hollywood motion pictures as well as developing a major animation and rendering software and inventing a number of major technology innovations including the first fully digital fire in a Hollywood movie, revolutionizing 3d modeling techniques and pioneering rendering technologies and I also make a mean omelette. We here at the OSC welcome the strangest synths in any state, really, and are all proud, if we manage to help make them even better!
In every conceivable way should we and do we want to encourage developers to come offer their creations to the hungry and howling members of this gang, eager to give it a ruthless grinding and excited about what those things make us all do.
I'm pretty thrilled with SG right now, even with it's shortcomings, I cannot consider this ALPHA at all. I think it's in a very decent state while giving us enough to enjoy making suggestions and point out improvements.
We've had FAR, FAR buggier synths here without a developer daring to show their face! Those were the hopeless ones, yet, we still squeezed the living daylights out of those synths to do some incredible tracks.
Architeuthis is there for us all the way, doing what he can do to appease us and listens carefully to our suggestions. I think, he's doing great and this thing is really something different. With any oscilloscope attached, you can do extraordinary things with it already, really.

SALUTE, Archi, and keep it coming! I can't wait to share what I'm doing with this one already!

(PS: I stopped working on projects some 4 years ago, I think, technically making it 26 years of all of this, because I decided to become one of the crazy guys not unlike Archi and Luigi and all those gems out there, creating much, much more creative innovations than any industry would allow for within its mills! Hence...well...just wanted to clarify that I'm not living in a mansion, but in an apartment with my wife and 4 cats!)
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

] Peter:H [ wrote:
mehum wrote:

Pst, please don't tell anyone, mehum...so just for your ears. I like the idea of the synth, I think it has potential. Just want to help by sharing my experience how to deal with sw dev to make it a success...my previous post was meant to challenge the developers to make up their minds about how they handle these things a bit more professional than they do right now...But again, mehum...Don't tell anyone ;-)

Pst, peter, don't tell anyone, but your kind of "challenging" is very, very discouraging and painful to most developers, who really give their best with every intention to improve themselves and their work, but also a fair bit of pride for the right reasons (in decent cases, like this one!). So...if you tell them they act inadequately by your standards or any for that matter, you do not really make them work harder! You suck the wind out of their sails. Your advice is well meant, no doubt, but it's pretty aggressive and a little over the top, but don't tell anyone!
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2794 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:40 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

] Peter:H [ wrote:BUT: This is not meant to be frustrating you. Your software has potential. But please when you release it into the wild be sure YOU know about the state of your software and tell it to the customers as well.
Just a tipp of a IT professional.

I've gotten a few comments like this already, but my reasoning is that I can't learn unless I do it. I can't even grow a business unless I release something. I wanted to have a polished piece of software to release originally, but it's just been a difficult process, and problems never cease. So what can I do? Wait for a unicorn or maybe start with a donkey? I'll start with the donkey. More professional devs have the luxury of releasing unicorns into the wild. :tu:

Will it discourage future customers? Maybe. That's ok. I have something big planned. I will regain trust.

Edit: If I waited for a unicorn, we wouldn't be having this conversaiton, Soundemote as an audio plugin company would not even exist. Well, there's an even bigger reason I started releasing stuff now rather than later. I have till the end of the year to make a successful business or I may be closing up shop. It's getting down to the wire for me financially. I guess I'll never give up, maybe I'll have to take a break for some years.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:35 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Just try to keep up, Arch! Have another release as soon as you can and all will be well! We're here now and nothing changes that. Just make the best of it!

Also, if you know you can, you must fight for what you want to do. This battle is with you and you alone. All the rest is just orientation!
] Peter:H [
KVRist

141 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Architeuthis wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote:BUT: This is not meant to be frustrating you. Your software has potential. But please when you release it into the wild be sure YOU know about the state of your software and tell it to the customers as well.
Just a tipp of a IT professional.

I've gotten a few comments like this already, but my reasoning is that I can't learn unless I do it. I can't even grow a business unless I release something. I wanted to have a polished piece of software to release originally, but it's just been a difficult process, and problems never cease. So what can I do? Wait for a unicorn or maybe start with a donkey? I'll start with the donkey. More professional devs have the luxury of releasing unicorns into the wild. :tu:

Will it discourage future customers? Maybe. That's ok. I have something big planned. I will regain trust.

Edit: If I waited for a unicorn, we wouldn't be having this conversaiton, Soundemote as an audio plugin company would not even exist. Well, there's an even bigger reason I started releasing stuff now rather than later. I have till the end of the year to make a successful business or I may be closing up shop. It's getting down to the wire for me financially. I guess I'll never give up, maybe I'll have to take a break for some years.

Never mind, Archieuthis. The whole point of my comment was "expectation management" and telling people beforehand that they ride on a donkey in that very moment and cannot expect the unicorn...how shoud we know...your donkey tries to look like an unicorn (v2.0!)? And even donkey should have had some test ride...
Sure this release strategy - to grow products with the first (potential) customer - is quite common. That was actually Microsoft Win 3.11 and 9x style. But there are dev guys that learnt from the experience and the resulting reputation that micrososft earend from it. I can't remember, but MS had such a bad reputation in the area of security that it took them a decade or so to correct that. Learning from that experience some devs turned their strategy and tell their (potential) customers what they can expect beforehand and there are guys that don't care...The smarter devs say "Guys you're going to ride on a donkey for a while, could be rough, is that okay for you?"...Some customers reply "sure, good to know, thanks for leting us know"...Even Microsoft is releasing now a lot of Version before the final release and they name those respectively...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... w_releases. That's the whole point and it's completely up to you, how you want to deal with this expectation/communication thing. Just showed some room for improvment on a less technical level, google is your friend when interested in "expectation management"...
BTW: I have already learnt my lesson in expectation managment here in OSC with a unusual and not well communicated voting scheme and that got me "beaten up". So I have learnt my lesson...
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2794 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

I don't need a "warning: this is not a polished product". While it's not polished, it has some cool things going for it, I don't want to sell myself short. I think the GUI speaks for itself (as in, it clearly doesn't look polished, but there's something interesting going on).

I am not CHOOSING "donkey vs unicorn" paradigm. I simply ended up with "donkey". It's my lack of experience that didn't allow me to recognize that. So it's like... I didn't have a choice because I wasn't given one, I simply didn't know. But now I'm learning! Each jump in version is far more polished than the last. Ok, yes, I don't like calling it Spiral Generator Beta 0.5. I prefer Spiral Generator 2, 3, 4.

So the whole bug about the kick getting quieter over time... I just PMed a solution to the original poster. It's a problem with the underlying algorithm PLUS my design decisions, it's not a bug. It's a problem where not all settings result in a useful/usable patch. The fix is to stop the underlying algorithm from having bad DC offset OR limiting the parameter ranges. The former, I don't know how to do, the latter, I don't want to do. However, this would've been clear and easy for the user to diagnose with a 2D oscilloscope, so... yeah Spiral Generator obviously needs a visualizer built in. I want to include one. Maybe SG3.

THAT BEING SAID! STAY TUNED. Better products. More polished. Easier to use. I *am* getting there. There will be spiral generator-like products that do similar things, sound similar, but I think will not have DC offset issues.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zippy731
KVRist

61 posts since 13 Jan, 2015

Postby zippy731; Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Whats up OSC peeps.

Been a while since I got my act together for one of these OSC's. Glad I decided to jump in on this one - Spiral Generator is Awesomesauce!

https://soundcloud.com/zippy731/free-slurpee-day

Here's my entry. Started it on 7/11, hence the name.

Also, it's sugary and not so good for you and will probably give you a brain freeze.

And mind your headphones. It's LOUD.

============
Made in FL Studio 12.4

18 instances of Spiral Generator. Most of the percussion is tweaked presets. Everything else is original patches.

All FX are FL Studio Native. EQ, Distortion, Compressors, a couple of Transient Processors. (And some Reveb & Delay.)
Last edited by zippy731 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because it's insane doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
------------------------
Before visiting my Soundcloud, make sure your affairs are in order. You just never know.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:38 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

Ya, no sht, hahahaha! I have my headphones hanging from a clamp on my table and sometimes I start a song before I pick them up. Your song had my table resonant and the headphones moving before I could pick them up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Bizarre...but fascinating!
574X
KVRist

132 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

My goodness, I apologize.

What I should’ve said was that you could have a much easier time "generating leads,” or rather "a loyal customer base” by having an optional, incentivized email input field on a side of the website, for example.

I assure you it is bad business for any organization to waste everyone’s time by collecting Peter H’s fake emails.

This plague of bombardment with email input fields, and having to jump through hoops to receive “free” products, that many of us deal with on a daily basis without proper conformist conditioning, was implemented by large corporations to inflate statistics and data mine information from everyone, to sell for a variety of targeted advertising and mass marketing services.

Consequently, it gimps the development of all humanity by wasting the time of hundreds of millions of people.

Sadly, this contagion of bad business even enlists and derails us devs developing the development of the developments that we developers are known to develop.

There is a valuable distinction between truly “opting-in” and requiring it.
One way is good business that generates good leads. Which means repeat customers and who put money on the table, and food in your pocket.
The other disrespects your customers and is dishonest, especially in the case that something is initially entirely free of a mandatory data input cost, before somebody like 574X was so grateful and supportive that they generated massive interest in your products, by promoting it for free at the OSC because it is an instrument of learning, in this great school of synthesis.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

But, but, but...you are not required to enter any email address to download spiral generator! I'm sure you've just accidentally didn't see it. I remember, too, that it was a bit confusing. But there's simply a button to download it, no hoops to jump through.

You are absolutely right about those companies, where you have to put your "FREE" item into a shopping cart and make an account, only to get spam for the rest of your days and those are truly annoying. I'm completely with you on that, even if I did lately come to forgive them. It just isn't true for SG, that's all.

But, please, don't worry, these things happen and your anger would be understandable. I salute your bravery to say something about such things. Too many people don't! It just accidentally wasn't the perfect place to do that...shit happens. No harm done, I hope! :shrug:
574X
KVRist

132 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 am Re: One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (win/mac/linux) (2 New Prizes: Echorus and PrettyScope!)

I've checked his website many times and it was changed after I drew attention to this synthesizer here at the OSC.

The download button here
https://www.soundemote.com/oscilloscopemusic

opens a shopping cart that currently literally reads "Enter your details to retrieve your order"

He even stated in his response that he provided a direct download link here, but it is not on his website, as it previously was. The OSC link leads to the link above.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments