One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha, I definitely won't update! Some parameters need to be really fine tuned to sweet spots so any change to the algorithm could change a lot, I suppose. Any chance of building with a new VST ID for future versions? :D

I, for one, haven't had any issues with stability or performance. I do have a problem rendering my project but that issue I just now found out was with Sanford Reverb causing some kind of memory issue. I like the sound I've got so I just render the live output to disk. At least I don't have to wait for the tape to rewind ;)

mehum wrote: ... At least I don't have to wait for the tape to rewind ;)
My Tascam 244 is watching you from the corner of the room ... :hihi:
dB

Well, I took the plunge and updated and my percussion seem to be just fine...but my first sound I ever made with it shows that the update is in fact broken. MAN, I so feel for you. I know how it feels! But you need to get back in there and find the issue:

Attached is the preset. It already doesn't sound the way it used to, but play a low note E3 or lower and the sound stops...engine breaks. Only replacing the instance helps to bring it back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doctorbob wrote:
dB
That's a classic! Shame you can't just run your OSC-mixes through that :)
Should count as a DAW, right?

Exported my patches. Have no idea how to make a bank or if a bank would even be desirable but here are almost all sounds I've used. Drums and basses should probably be made mono, either by just using one channel or mixed to mono. Other sounds work best layered or are supposed be automated. If you use them, please make them sound better :phones:

EDIT: I should add that these patches are for the early version and may or may not sound right with a newer one...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mehum on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DO NOT UPDATE if you started composing. The latest version removes a bug, which affected the sound and so presets will sound different between latest version and the proir version.. So don't update if you started composing.

DO UPDATE if you haven't started composing. Enough of my percussion presets are unaffected.

I'm actually planning on reintroducing this "bug" as an option for next update.

I'll also fix the percussion patches while I'm at it.

mehum wrote:
doctorbob wrote:
dB
That's a classic! Shame you can't just run your OSC-mixes through that :)
Should count as a DAW, right?
Yeah, 4 tracks, but good routing. Refurbished it myself, new record/play head etc. New Microswitches and press panel for the transport etc. All transistors inside. The wiring looms were clearly laid out to keep noise to the minimum. dbX worked OK too.

The early tracks on my SC account, my kid at 16 playing sax and flute were recorded on it (Decorating Blues, Holiay Blues, Pop Shuffle).
Sorry to be OT ... couldn't resist pointing to stuff to show quite how reasonbly good this early beast was.

... back to my spiral compositions ... hohum ...

dB

Architeuthis wrote:DO NOT UPDATE if you started composing. The latest version removes a bug, which affected the sound and so presets will sound different between latest version and the proir version.. So don't update if you started composing.

DO UPDATE if you haven't started composing. Enough of my percussion presets are unaffected.

I'm actually planning on reintroducing this "bug" as an option for next update.

I'll also fix the percussion patches while I'm at it.
Did you get my feedback up there? Because that was a severe bug in the latest version!

My submission:

https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx/dar ... ency-shift

DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite

7x Spiral Generator
8x Ableton EQ8
1x Tal Reverb 2
1x Ableton Saturator
1x Ableton Simple Delay
1x Ableton Glue Compressor
1x Voxengo Tube Amp
1x Ableton Limiter
1x Ableton Reverb (Send)
1x Ableton Simple Delay (Send)

Taron wrote:Did you get my feedback up there? Because that was a severe bug in the latest version!
fixed

changed / improved a lot of the percussion patches.

http://www.elanhickler.com/Soundemote/S ... ator_2.zip

If you want to use the latest version (and you started composing already) all you have to is set the YELLOW slider (CurveMultiply) to 0.

ADDED TO THE MANUAL - >
CurveMultiply: Most useful if set to 0 or 1. If 0, SharpCurve now controls the spiral end point where SharpCurve of 1 is silence (zero length spiral). Pro Tip: Density:1, SarpCurve:1, CurveMultiply:0, LFO->Phase, LFO RateMode:Pitch, LFO Shape:Sawtooth, LFO Amplitude 1, creates a near perfect sinewave, and is a great starting point for a kick drum. Use integer Density values for edge-free waveforms.

found a really cool patch that makes drawing this on prettyscope very easy. I just change color as the spiral "jumps around".

If I have time I'll make a video on instructions. Hint: You can get nintendo-style noise using RandomSquare LFO plus the "ProTip" about the new CurveMultiply slider (see manual or post above). Very fun to look at on PrettyScope since the noise is in the shape of a spiral, but it sounds 8-bit HEEHEE!
Last edited by Architeuthis on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darksynth FX wrote:My submission:

https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx/dar ... ency-shift

DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite

7x Spiral Generator
8x Ableton EQ8
1x Tal Reverb 2
1x Ableton Saturator
1x Ableton Simple Delay
1x Ableton Glue Compressor
1x Voxengo Tube Amp
1x Ableton Limiter
1x Ableton Reverb (Send)
1x Ableton Simple Delay (Send)
Love this dark and dry Noir mood :)

Any change for the Linux version to come out in time for the osc?

I don't think there will be a linux version... mmm... let me ask Robin. Last time I checked it didn't work and we couldn't easily test and fix the problem.

Ok, decided not to obsess more and just get this over with. Found the Airwindows plugins the other day and have been playing around with them when mixing. My ears are not really tuned for picking up on some of the subtleties of console bus emulation but some other plugins are more noticable and certainly useful.

Anyway... It's a bit of a busy track but I kept it short and to the point, I think. With this track there were certainly the risk of going 8 minutes but I actually kept it down to under 4. I know many of you have a less-is more approach to mixing but I think I kept most of my mixing decisions subtle and to emphasize the synthesizer. I did some extreme things on a parallel drum bus but it's very low in the mix, just giving some edge to the transients.

Mastering was a little bit more extreme than my usual approach and, to the dread of every mastering engineer out there, was mostly done in parallel with mixing.

SpiGen2 was quite inspiring to work with, although not always intutive. Good work, Architeuthis and Soundemote, and thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/neophile/mehum-b ... al-vertigo

DAW: Reaper 5
Spiral Generators: 25

Plugins used:
ReaEQ x 15
Airwindows Console4Channel x 10
ReaComp x 5
A1Audio A1StereoControl x 5
Sanford Delay x 2
Klanghelm IVGI x 2
Sanford Reverb x 2
TDR Kotelnikov x 2
Pecheneg Tremolo
Airwindows Point
Airwindows Lowpass
Airwindows Highpass
Klanghelm MJUCjr
Airwindows BussColors4
Airwindows Distance
ReaGate
FuzzPlus3
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Vlad Molot
Vlad Limiter No6
Airwindows IronOxideClassic
Airwindows Density

Utilities (not in audio chain):
Airwindows SubsOnly
Airwindows SlewsOnly
Voxengo SPAN

Automation:
Except synth parameters (which were best automated via mod wheel and pitch bend to avoid artifacts) there are automation on reverb sends for some tracks and bass EQ to cut some low end in transitions.

Project file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v28bc6okpcd0i ... o.RPP?dl=0

Patches:
May or may not work properly on later builds of the Spiral Generator than the one I used
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=487228&start=60#p6824386
download/file.php?id=12309

Return to “Instruments”