Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
ENV1
KVRAF
 
1991 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

wagtunes wrote:So yeah, you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to free stuff.

Obviously this cant be true.

Because if it were true youd be getting nothing at all, and we all know that a lot of freeware is way more than that.

Again: There is no inherent relationship between an items pricetag or the lack thereof. A product is either good or it isnt, regardless of its price. The fact that sometimes a price IS justified is merely a co-incidence, which can be verified by the simple fact that if you start giving a formerly high-priced high-quality item away for free, its quality will still be exactly the same that it was when the item cost a lot of money. Just like a crummy product doesnt magically become great only because you slap an outrageous price on it.

wagtunes wrote:You have to wade through a lot of meh stuff to find the gold.

I wont argue with that. Still to say 'you get what you pay for' is nonsense because its not true, and if anything it is an insult, even if not intended, to those who are kind enough to share their work with everyone without wanting any kind of compensation.

IMO they deserve better than that.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9183 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

ENV1 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So yeah, you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to free stuff.

Obviously this cant be true.

Because if it were true youd be getting nothing at all, and we all know that a lot of freeware is way more than that.

Again: There is no inherent relationship between an items pricetag or the lack thereof. A product is either good or it isnt, regardless of its price. The fact that sometimes a price IS justified is merely a co-incidence, which can be verified by the simple fact that if you start giving a formerly high-priced high-quality item away for free, its quality will still be exactly the same that it was when the item cost a lot of money. Just like a crummy product doesnt magically become great only because you slap an outrageous price on it.

wagtunes wrote:You have to wade through a lot of meh stuff to find the gold.

I wont argue with that. Still to say 'you get what you pay for' is nonsense because its not true, and if anything it is an insult, even if not intended, to those who are kind enough to share their work with everyone without wanting any kind of compensation.

IMO they deserve better than that.


Hey man, stop picking my f**king words apart. I said there are exceptions. But do I really have to read off the list of Synthedit synths that I've downloaded that weren't worth my time to do so?

This is why I've stopped looking for free synths. There is too much garbage to wade through. That's all I said. So get a grip.
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:You don't run a 64-bit only DAW without internal bridge, do you? And bridging does produce issues. So, yes, it does matter, unless you run a 32-bit and 64-bit DAW side by side, and have to switch the whole time, to work on projects.

Im on 32bit.

And i said 'as long as it works properly', i.e. it wouldnt matter to me as long as there are no problems.

(I said that because ive read it so often here that some people dont use 32bit plugins as a matter of principle, thereby deliberately depriving themselves of even those plugins that might run without any trouble. And thats what i mean i wouldnt do, i would always at least check whether or not there ARE problems and if there arent any then i certainly wouldnt care what the plugins bitness is. (I mean why should i, the sound is the same so why deprive myself of a good tool?))

For me, it's not a matter of principle, but rather a necessity, combined with forward thinking, because 64-bit will be exclusively available one day. Also, there are advantages, no matter how much the 32-bit fanatics deny it.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9183 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

To add, let me preface my statement "You get what you pay for" with "For the most part" because that I absolutely find to be true in most cases as evidenced by the amount of free crap that is out there as in most (not all) MOST Synthedit synths.

Better?

Sheesh.
ENV1
KVRAF
 
1991 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

wagtunes wrote:Hey man, stop picking my f**king words apart. I said there are exceptions. But do I really have to read off the list of Synthedit synths that I've downloaded that weren't worth my time to do so?

This is why I've stopped looking for free synths. There is too much garbage to wade through. That's all I said. So get a grip.

Youre getting nasty because i didnt quote the whole damn novel you wrote?

Are you for real?
ENV1
KVRAF
 
1991 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

chk071 wrote:For me, it's not a matter of principle, but rather a necessity, combined with forward thinking, because 64-bit will be exclusively available one day. Also, there are advantages, no matter how much the 32-bit fanatics deny it.

Whatever works for you. :)

As long as a plugin works and is useful i wouldnt pass on it no matter what, but of course everyone has the right to handle this any way they want, so no argument from me.
Bump1
KVRist
 
215 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Postby Bump1; Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

chk071 wrote:
ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:You don't run a 64-bit only DAW without internal bridge, do you? And bridging does produce issues. So, yes, it does matter, unless you run a 32-bit and 64-bit DAW side by side, and have to switch the whole time, to work on projects.

Im on 32bit.

And i said 'as long as it works properly', i.e. it wouldnt matter to me as long as there are no problems.

(I said that because ive read it so often here that some people dont use 32bit plugins as a matter of principle, thereby deliberately depriving themselves of even those plugins that might run without any trouble. And thats what i mean i wouldnt do, i would always at least check whether or not there ARE problems and if there arent any then i certainly wouldnt care what the plugins bitness is. (I mean why should i, the sound is the same so why deprive myself of a good tool?))

For me, it's not a matter of principle, but rather a necessity, combined with forward thinking, because 64-bit will be exclusively available one day. Also, there are advantages, no matter how much the 32-bit fanatics deny it.


There is one advantage to 32-bit....

Vaelita VSTi

Shame this got abandoned
1wob2many
KVRian
 
504 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby 1wob2many; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

wagtunes wrote:
Or this. Take the most talented musician on the planet that you can name. I'll even let you pick the person.

Put him in a room with only free stuff and make him do a track.

Then put him in another room and let him use whatever he wants to do the same track.

Which one do you think is going to sound better?

Yeah, it's really simple isn't it.


You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.

Let me hear the results and then I can tell you which one I prefer.
highkoo
KVRAF
 
3679 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

1wob2many wrote:
You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.


Well, for the most part you are correct.
Except, though, in cases where the point the experiment is deisigned to show that the experiment is useless, regardless of the results of the experiment.
ImageImage Image
Halonmusic
KVRist
 
463 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

Writing this as i look through my vst folder. In no particular order:

Podolski
Lokomotiv
Zebralette
Tyrell N6
Charlatan
Synth1
Oberon
PG8X
OBXD
Beatzille
Triple Cheese
Mantis 307
the blooo
The scrooo
the qyooo
FB-3100
Stigma
Keen
MonoFury
Synsonic BD-909
Lynx
DDX10
DJX10
Elektro Studio bundle
Stinger / Stinger MAX
Digidrum Pro
Synister
TAL stuff
MBX3
JX220
Neon
Aalto CM
Reaktor 6 Player with the free Blocks ensembles.
Wave Synth
Sonigen Modular
Triangle 2
SQ8L
Polyiblit
TS-Substance
TA Genobazz
Gigmate v2
GalactiX
Digits
Dexed
JUICEOPL
Swierk
Brzoza
Marvin VST stuff
Cedr
Phutura
FreeAlpha
HG stuff
Xhip
Nero
Nabla
the deputy
1wob2many
KVRian
 
504 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby 1wob2many; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:39 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

On topic:

Charlatan
Sanford Bass Tightener
Tal Chorus LX
Stagecraft Delay
Voxengo Span

And I do still use a couple of 32 bit VSTs.
1wob2many
KVRian
 
504 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby 1wob2many; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

highkoo wrote:
1wob2many wrote:
You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.


Well, for the most part you are correct.
Except, though, in cases where the point the experiment is deisigned to show that the experiment is useless, regardless of the results of the experiment.


Agreed, but now we're getting really deep. :hihi:
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
9183 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

1wob2many wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Or this. Take the most talented musician on the planet that you can name. I'll even let you pick the person.

Put him in a room with only free stuff and make him do a track.

Then put him in another room and let him use whatever he wants to do the same track.

Which one do you think is going to sound better?

Yeah, it's really simple isn't it.


You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.

Let me hear the results and then I can tell you which one I prefer.


So you're telling me that a Taylor Swift song will sound just as good on equipment that cost a total of $10 as on equipment that cost a total of $100,000.

Yeah, right. Sure. Whatever you say.
highkoo
KVRAF
 
3679 posts since 25 Jun, 2004

Postby highkoo; Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

1wob2many wrote:
highkoo wrote:
1wob2many wrote:
You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.


Well, for the most part you are correct.
Except, though, in cases where the point the experiment is deisigned to show that the experiment is useless, regardless of the results of the experiment.


Agreed, but now we're getting really deep. :hihi:


I gotta be honest; I thought that is what his point was. :oops:
i.e. That it is not easy to guess what the outcome would be. Which,is what I think.
Youre on your own here wag...
ImageImage Image
1wob2many
KVRian
 
504 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby 1wob2many; Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm Re: What freeware do you still consistently use?

wagtunes wrote:
1wob2many wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Or this. Take the most talented musician on the planet that you can name. I'll even let you pick the person.

Put him in a room with only free stuff and make him do a track.

Then put him in another room and let him use whatever he wants to do the same track.

Which one do you think is going to sound better?

Yeah, it's really simple isn't it.


You can't design an experiment, imagine the results and claim it proves a point.

Let me hear the results and then I can tell you which one I prefer.


So you're telling me that a Taylor Swift song will sound just as good on equipment that cost a total of $10 as on equipment that cost a total of $100,000.

Yeah, right. Sure. Whatever you say.


Let me hear the results and then I can tell you which one I prefer. Good is a subjective term. Maybe I prefer my Taylor a bit rough and ready. :wink:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments