The KVR Audio website is moving to a new server - please expect some disruption to services over the next 24-48 hours.

During the final stages of the transition several services will be disabled on the old server, such as new user registrations, KVR Marketplace transactions, developer admin features, forum search, posting in the forum, etc.

Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
aMUSEd
KVRAF

29552 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:Wish i had Logic (and a Mac to run it on) so i could use Sculpture (and of course Alchemy 2).

I initially bought Logic just for Sculpture...

So did I.

Yeah but did you already have a Mac? If i did i would definitely do the same. Shame (but no surprise) apple doesn't want to share.

I went Mac mainly for Sculpture/Logic and Metasynth
himalaya
KVRAF

4805 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

Ed A. wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:+1 Chromaphone
+1 Kaivo
+1 Scupture
+1 Pianoteq
Looking forward to playing with SUMU from MadronaLabs (whatever it‘ll be)...

I absolutely agree with all of those. I might also add Physical Audio's PA3 Derailer (I'm still using their beta).

What about AAS String Studio? Some of its timbre shaping options are still unique and have not been emulated by any other PM synth. For example, what happens to the string when you release your finger? Stuff like this is where a good physical modelling engine ought to go. It shouldn't be just about nailing the main 'body' of the sound, the sound we get when it is triggered, it should also be about all the performance artefacts that happen 'around' it.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
pdxindy
KVRAF

13717 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:Wish i had Logic (and a Mac to run it on) so i could use Sculpture (and of course Alchemy 2).

So did I.

Yeah but did you already have a Mac? If i did i would definitely do the same. Shame (but no surprise) apple doesn't want to share.

I already used Macs so its a no brainer... Hey, Apple likes to share... with Mac users! They keep giving us amazing free Logic updates, Alchemy 2 for free, plus some excellent free software like Keynote and iBook Author etc. They just don't share with Windows users...
pdxindy
KVRAF

13717 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

himalaya wrote:
What about AAS String Studio? Some of its timbre shaping options are still unique and have not been emulated by any other PM synth. For example, what happens to the string when you release your finger? Stuff like this is where a good physical modelling engine ought to go. It shouldn't be just about nailing the main 'body' of the sound, the sound we get when it is triggered, it should also be about all the performance artefacts that happen 'around' it.

I agree... it does still have some unique functions... we could easily have double the number of PM synths and not be approaching sonic saturation.
WolfKay
KVRist

178 posts since 18 Dec, 2005

Postby WolfKay; Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

aMUSEd wrote:I went Mac mainly for Sculpture/Logic and Metasynth

Yes, me too :)
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4655 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

pdxindy wrote:
himalaya wrote:

I agree... it does still have some unique functions... we could easily have double the number of PM synths and not be approaching sonic saturation.

Sound wise, the AAS stuff definitely deserves to be on this list.

I recall having difficulty with the initial attack impulse in String Studio. I couldn't get rid of the model's impulse noise in the signal chain (wanting to only hear the result of said impulse). Was this ever addressed?

It was a ticking sound, if I recall correctly. I recall it was not solved by changing the envelope attack (i wanted a fast attack without a tick or click). I would post a link to my discussion about the issue at the AAS forum, but they killed the forum some years ago (a bad choice, IMO).

String Studio is on my upgrade list, but in the "maybe" column. I have the whole AAS modeling collection (all first versions except Tasman, which was my doorway drug to AAS). They're neat products. Moving to Logic X, finally, I need to buy a bunch of upgrades to get 64-bit.

I just haven't decided if I want to deal with the GUIs in AAS's products. Especially when the product I most liked was abandoned (Tassman). Even the newer versions of their products are a bit small and hard to look at (they attempted to accommodate, but didn't go far enough). I really like the visual style of the elements, just not the layout and sizes. I'd hate for them to catch the flat fad disease.

Still, great sounding modeling products. I'm sad they don't get more attention. Including by the developers ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
CrystalWizard
KVRian

590 posts since 10 Jul, 2008, from Orbiti sw usa

Postby CrystalWizard; Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

pdxindy wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
Ed A. wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

So did I.

I already used Macs so its a no brainer... Hey, Apple likes to share... with Mac users! They keep giving us amazing free Logic updates, Alchemy 2 for free, plus some excellent free software like Keynote and iBook Author etc. They just don't share with Windows users...

Sorta, but they don't share with DP, Cubase, etc. Mac users. (i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)

Yes, String Studio should be recognized, it's quite excellent.
i would also like to see many more PM synths.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
http://gardenofsensualdelight.com/DBAR.html apologies for broken links, a contruction team is on the way
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness
CrystalWizard
KVRian

590 posts since 10 Jul, 2008, from Orbiti sw usa

Postby CrystalWizard; Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

Jace-BeOS wrote:Still, great sounding modeling products.(AAS) I'm sad they don't get more attention. Including by the developers ;-)

Same here.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
http://gardenofsensualdelight.com/DBAR.html apologies for broken links, a contruction team is on the way
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4655 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

CrystalWizard wrote:
[...](i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)

I just searched on MetaSynth... Sounds like an interesting concept, though the website doesn't fill me with confidence as to usability... and they really want a LOT of money for it!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Krakatau
KVRAF

5440 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 pm Re: Physical modelling in 2017

Jace-BeOS wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
[...](i have a friend with an old MBP just sitting around, it has Logic on it and maybe even MetaSynth, time to ask her nicely to borrow it. You folks are making me want to go there.)

I just searched on MetaSynth... Sounds like an interesting concept, though the website doesn't fill me with confidence as to usability... and they really want a LOT of money for it!

it is a totally unbeatable as a sound design tool...
Straight2Vinyl
KVRist

139 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Postby Straight2Vinyl; Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 am Re: Physical modelling in 2017

I'm planning on picking up a BopPad in the next couple months and perhaps a used e drum kit next year.
Looking at the options for drums and percussion, Chromaphone 2 seems to be the best option at least in theory. All the various hand drum options I could play on the bop pad, as well as super responsive snare drums sounds like a lot of fun. I'll wait for a sale though as Chromaphone can be had at 50% off on sale. Strangely enough, I could only find one video of someone playing an e kit with Chromaphone. It would seem an obvious feature to sell, but maybe the market is small.
Anyone else using Chromaphone with something more than an MPC style controller?
Previous

Moderator: KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments