Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Dj Pomme
KVRer

7 posts since 27 Jul, 2017

Postby Dj Pomme; Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

ilmai wrote:My track is almost ready, really only some polish and mixing left, but I still think it's kinda lacking something. I would love to have some crash cymbals there for added emphasis, but I can't seem to make them sound good using the de facto enveloped noise method of creating hi-hats. Are good-sounding crash cymbals even possible using a simple subtractive synth like The blooo, any tips to a sound design newb?

The same !
I tried ring modulation but I ended up with a pretty good snare, better than the one I already had, but i can't get a good crash cymbal, it often does like a ride.
:phones:
Darksynth FX
KVRist

91 posts since 14 May, 2016, from Vienna

Postby Darksynth FX; Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

My humble submission for this month.

https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx/dar ... uture-race

DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite

13x The blooo
15x Ableton EQ8
1x Voxengo Stereo Touch
2x Xfer OTT
1x Ableton Compressor
1x Voxengo Tube Amp
2x Ableton Limiter
1x Tal-Reverb-2 (Send)
1x Ableton Simple Delay (Send)
Female dark synth producer.
https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx
aciddose
KVRAF

11217 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

ilmai wrote:I would love to have some crash cymbals there for added emphasis, but I can't seem to make them sound good using the de facto enveloped noise method of creating hi-hats. Are good-sounding crash cymbals even possible using a simple subtractive synth

The usual method requires some layering. It's possible to combine narrow pulses (<50%) with ring-mod, x-mod or audio rate modulation (audio-rate modulation to PW works great for metallic timbres with a single osc.)

By passing that through the main filter or any additional filter stages to apply EQ and layering to get multiple filters (as many as 6 or more) to get the initial stick, the quick attack/decay, "sizzle" and release portions of the sound in both filtered metallic/dissonant harmonics and noise with unique envelopes and levels for each you can produce a very good synthetic cymbal. You won't be getting very close to a sample without more advanced features but you can easily beat the tr-808 or similar cymbal patches by layering a few instances of a good quality synth.

Using a noise-modulator (LFO with noise waveform) to modulate oscillators frequency can sometimes work better than mixing pure noise. Control of the noise timbre and "shape" (distribution as in log, uniform or expo) can improve results as well and cut down significantly on the number of layers required.

To get even better results some more advanced features and often a modular architecture are required but cymbals in general are notorious for their difficulty.

https://soundcloud.com/aciddose-1/analo ... oscillator

This is an example on a single-osc monosynth with a single filter, envelope and LFO using the audio-rate PWM I mentioned.
http://xhip.net/synth/ Xhip Synthesizer v8 released 21 May 2017
Dee.P.Tree
KVRist

148 posts since 25 Aug, 2015

Postby Dee.P.Tree; Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:48 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

Full Bucket wrote:
mmGhost wrote:any chance of getting an audiounit version compiled for Mac?

Not in the near future cause I have no Mac.
In fact I'm thinking about buying a Mac, but so far the donations received are not enough.

Cheers, Björn

I noticed a comment on Amazona magazine website. :eek:

"BTW ich habe mir einen Mac gekauft"

https://www.amazona.de/top-50-freeware- ... izer-2017/

Should Mac users expect good news about using great Full Bucket plugins... in near future...? :party: :wink:

BTW, congratulations, Björn..!

If I have not missed any one in multiple pages of above article, there are 5 plugins from Full Bucket Music.. in the top 50 list.

That's highest from any developer featured in the list.

Thanks a lot for great sounding free synths with great features, Björn. :hail:
stunkit
KVRist

54 posts since 14 Jun, 2013

Postby stunkit; Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 am _s

Advanced sound designers, please help me. I have this preset.

It is one of defaults. It has +7 interval in OSC 2. And I have this chord: D2 A2 D3.

+7 note interval locks you in certain tonality and I would like to recreate this sound with two VSTi instances, one for Tonic and second for interval.

But my issue is that when I play my variant, the sound is totally different, weak and not so cool as I would like. Also lack of harmonics. Despite there is +7 tone in default Mystic preset I certainly hear +5 (Perfect fourth). But my sound of two VSTi doesn't sounds well.

In my Blooo preset I disable +7 pitch OSC 2.
Here is two samples.
example-1.mp3 - cool
example-2.mp3 - not so cool.

Why is it so?
tw | yt | ig
mehum
KVRist

394 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

Probably the ring modulation. Having the same note or octaves doesn't create very many overtones with a ring modulator. This is possibly also why you hear the fourth; aliasing from the ring mod.
H-man
KVRian

593 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

mehum wrote:Probably the ring modulation. Having the same note or octaves doesn't create very many overtones with a ring modulator. This is possibly also why you hear the fourth; aliasing from the ring mod.

Yeh ...try automating the interval (s) on a single instance.
stunkit
KVRist

Postby stunkit; Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

H-man wrote:
mehum wrote:Probably the ring modulation. Having the same note or octaves doesn't create very many overtones with a ring modulator. This is possibly also why you hear the fourth; aliasing from the ring mod.

Yeh ...try automating the interval (s) on a single instance.

I have no idea how to automate a single voice in a chord ))) Maybe I could use new instance for each note, but maybe resulting sound wouldn't be the same. Or I could use MIDI expression. I will try.

For now I stayed with simple cord progression for rappers (of two chords :D )
tw | yt | ig
stunkit
KVRist

Postby stunkit; Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 am 102

Am i missing something or it is impossible to modulate LFO rate linear increasing in VSTi itself?

UPD:
I think I have found some bug in LFO rate algorithms(?). The sounds is not always as it should be. But render is always good. In take two I recorded my audio output. This patch.

reference
bug
tw | yt | ig
mehum
KVRist

394 posts since 24 Feb, 2015, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby mehum; Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

Next time I think I'll do minimal techno or something... Quite the challenge to mix this track.

Have now decided to not work on this anymore, I've heard it way too many times already...

As usual I've had a hard time killing my darlings so this one is pretty much two major ideas melded together. I started off with a drum'n'bass-ish beat and since I've never really done that before I thought it'd be fun to do. Then I got this Pink Floyd-ish idea... I at least managed to stay under 6 minutes :)

I mostly enjoyed working with The blooo. Pretty standard as far as subtractive synthesis goes. What makes it stand out is in my opinion the filter routing, allowing for both parallel and serial processing, the ring mod and the phaser filter mode. Decent amount of choices for parameter modulation is nice as well! Getting stable kick drum was a bit of a chore, even after update. Fine tuning parameters was hard as well, would be nice if you could move the mouse sideways or hold Ctrl for smaller increments. The arrow buttons for the knobs didn't always work either... Sounds great however, as expected with Full Bucket/Björn!

mehum - Diffuse Psyche Radiation

https://soundcloud.com/neophile/mehum-d ... -radiation

DAW: Reaper 5

blooos: 33

Other plugins:
Venn Audio Utility
TDR Nova
TDR Kotelnikov
TAL Reverb 4
Sanford Reverb
Sanford Delay
ReaEQ
ReaDelay
Venn Audio Quick Haas
Pecheneg Tremolo
Molot
MIDI Tool (js)
MIDI Note Filter (js)
Melda MAutoPan
Limiter No6
IVGI
Airwindows IronOxideClassic
Airwindows Drive
Airwindows Density

Hope you enjoy and good luck to y'all!
doctorbob
KVRian

764 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

@mehum ... great track. Shows up the sonic beauty of the synth. Love those bass drops!

Was thinking of a calypso styled piece when I saw the ring mods - thinks ... "hmmm... steel drums??"

But, am having a hard time getting anything close to a steel drum! Pah! If anyone trips over an old beaten up oil drum which sounds good, please post me a patch!

Otherwise I may just revert to a cosy piece with a tune! But, would really like to go out on a limb for me and do something very different ...so any help would be much appreciated ...

Cheers,

dB
TrojakEW
KVRist

99 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Slovakia

Postby TrojakEW; Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 am Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

Here is my humble track for #102.

https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/heat

Made for KVR OSC #102
FL Studio 12.3
13 instances of The blooo by Full Bucket Music
DAW FX's:
1x Maximus
3x Fruity Stereo Enhancer
1x Fruity Delay
2x Fruity Delay 2
5x Fruity Reeverb
1x Fruity parametric EQ 2
1x EQUO
Other FX's:
3x Amplio 2
Eauson
KVRist

238 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

doctorbob wrote:@mehum ... great track. Shows up the sonic beauty of the synth. Love those bass drops!

Was thinking of a calypso styled piece when I saw the ring mods - thinks ... "hmmm... steel drums??"

But, am having a hard time getting anything close to a steel drum! Pah! If anyone trips over an old beaten up oil drum which sounds good, please post me a patch!

Otherwise I may just revert to a cosy piece with a tune! But, would really like to go out on a limb for me and do something very different ...so any help would be much appreciated ...

Cheers,

dB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltpbc4j36nq14 ... l.fxp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6foy0cp2bqcbd ... 1.fxp?dl=0

Not sure if these are anyood or work for that matter?
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
doctorbob
KVRian

764 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #102: The blooo by Full Bucket Music

Thanks Eauson, good starting points!!! Should be able to get something close to a calypso on the beach sound now! Big ups!!!!

This is what OSC is about ... people helping out in times of need.

Been looking after my poorly cat - drove 6 hours through the night cutting hols short. Bit her tongue, badly. Not been eating or drinking for a few days - tongue all manky! Finally after lots of vet trips, shots of various types she is on the road to recovery - but at 15 years old, she's an oldie! A grand champion persian tortoiseshell - very flat face - looks a bit like a gremlin (from the film!). This is why I have not been talking much for a while - worrying times.

So, a calypso it will be - hope you will all enjoy this latest venture.

dB
stunkit
KVRist

Postby stunkit; Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:17 pm One Synth Challenge #102

@TrojakEW I need that TOMs!!!1 Please share!!11
ImageImage

ps: I really really have no idea how to roll that o_O
tw | yt | ig
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments