Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

mholloway
KVRian

669 posts since 10 Jan, 2009, from Portland, OR, USA

Postby mholloway; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

chk071 wrote:I think the thing he mentioned rather applies to the group of people notoriously defending Urs and u-he wherever they can, and even speaking for him, wherever they can. You know THOSE kind of sycophant cult members. ;) It's an interesting psychological phenomenom. Obviousy, the more time you spend on forums, allegedly close to your customers, the more people take party for you, defend you, even idolize you. Don't get me wrong, i don't have an issue with Urs doing his thing, but, the result of it can be confusing at times. And confusingly emotional.

Huh. Well, just as interesting a "psychological phenomenom" is the one where certain online individuals perceive the (actually imaginary) existence of unified groups based on mostly arbitrary criteria (e.g. People who support a specific developer) and then proceed to feel threatened by this imagined group, and therefore repeatedly post negative, damning posts calling out the existence and faults of the imaginary group they are feeling so threatened by, for reasons only their shrink could ever really understand.

Meanwhile, world keeps turning, etc.

-M
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9751 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Back to topic...
Saw init patch vs saw init patch I hear no fatness difference to other quality synths.
And most such synths allow unison, stacking, using 3 or more oscillators etc. as well.
wagtunes
KVRAF

8671 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Emotional or not, if a product is crap, nobody is going to give unconditional love to a developer. I know I wouldn't. But U-he synths are in the top 3 developers, IMO. I didn't buy every one of them because I buy every synth made. There's plenty of synths I haven't bought. I bought all of them because they're solid. Even something as "simple" as ACE is so cool. Repro-1 doesn't sound like anything else I own. Bazille is in a class by itself. Just the sequencer alone and all the different routings and modulations could keep me busy for months if not years. You couldn't tap into everything Zebra 2 could do if you spent years on it.

My only regret is that I have limited time and can only spend so much time with each.

Point is, maybe there's a reason people love Urs.

Because he makes damn good synths.
Urs
u-he

21137 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Back to topic...
Saw init patch vs saw init patch I hear no fatness difference to other quality synths.
And most such synths allow unison, stacking, using 3 or more oscillators etc. as well.

There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues. There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.
Urs
u-he

21137 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

mholloway wrote:Meanwhile, world keeps turning, etc.

Exactly.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Urs wrote:

There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues. There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.There must be something bad to say about it. I just need to keep bringing up nonsense issues.

Urs, please don't pay any attention to him. He's like Mikey. He hates everything. Only difference is at least Mikey likes Life.

What this guy likes, I have no clue.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Urs wrote:

There is nothing bad about what I said. The thread title insinuates that Diva sounds fatter than other synths, but who says that is really the case? I just don't hear it when comparing waveforms one on one. It doesn't sound fatter nor less fat than other quality synths.

And when you stack oscillators, detune etc., they all start to sound a lot fatter.
wagtunes
KVRAF

Postby wagtunes; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Urs wrote:

There is nothing bad about what I said. The thread title insinuates that Diva sounds fatter than other synths, but who says that is really the case? I just don't hear it when comparing waveforms one on one. It doesn't sound fatter nor less fat than other quality synths.

And when you stack oscillators, detune etc., they all start to sound a lot fatter.

You are an obnoxious troll. You have 9300 posts and I guarantee 8300 of them are some negative comment about some synth. You're as bad as Layzer with his "You don't need no paid synths. Just get One Ping Only and youz can do granular, additive, FM, and even physical modeling."

I am so tired of it. Between the two of you I just want to start throwing things at the tree in the backyard.

I think the day you ever have anything nice to say about a synth I swear, I just might go into a coma.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

wagtunes wrote:You are an obnoxious troll. You have 9300 posts and I guarantee 8300 of them are some negative comment about some synth. You're as bad as Layzer with his "You don't need no paid synths. Just get One Ping Only and youz can do granular, additive, FM, and even physical modeling."

I am so tired of it. Between the two of you I just want to start throwing things at the tree in the backyard.

I think the day you ever have anything nice to say about a synth I swear, I just might go into a coma.

I can't stand you, you can't stand me, why don't you just leave me alone... Put me back on your foe list, please :hihi:
chk071
KVRAF

13473 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

mholloway wrote:
chk071 wrote:I think the thing he mentioned rather applies to the group of people notoriously defending Urs and u-he wherever they can, and even speaking for him, wherever they can. You know THOSE kind of sycophant cult members. ;) It's an interesting psychological phenomenom. Obviousy, the more time you spend on forums, allegedly close to your customers, the more people take party for you, defend you, even idolize you. Don't get me wrong, i don't have an issue with Urs doing his thing, but, the result of it can be confusing at times. And confusingly emotional.

Huh. Well, just as interesting a "psychological phenomenom" is the one where certain online individuals perceive the (actually imaginary) existence of unified groups based on mostly arbitrary criteria (e.g. People who support a specific developer) and then proceed to feel threatened by this imagined group, and therefore repeatedly post negative, damning posts calling out the existence and faults of the imaginary group they are feeling so threatened by, for reasons only their shrink could ever really understand.

-M

I think you're being pretty emotional. Thus proving my point, really. Dunno where to start. I neither feel "threatened", nor did i post a "negative, damning" post. Maybe chill out a bit dude.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:08 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Dunno about Diva. But, i certainly hear a difference in "fatness" only using 2 detuned oscillators in Monark to other soft synths. Or in Minimoog sound demos. And Diva sounds pretty nice, you should really give it some more time.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

chk071 wrote:

Dunno about Diva. But, i certainly hear a difference in "fatness" only using 2 detuned oscillators in Monark to other soft synths. Or in Minimoog sound demos. And Diva sounds pretty nice, you should really give it some more time.

I have been using the demo for days now, comparing it to another synth. Out of the box they sound different, yes. But when I adapt the latter to the former in terms of volume and frequency response, they sound very similar in my view.
mholloway
KVRian

669 posts since 10 Jan, 2009, from Portland, OR, USA

Postby mholloway; Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

chk071 wrote:
mholloway wrote:

-M

I think you're being pretty emotional. Thus proving my point, really. Dunno where to start. I neither feel "threatened", nor did i post a "negative, damning" post. Maybe chill out a bit dude.

Emotional? My post was, by intent, many things, none of which come anywhere close to "emotional." And it wasn't referring to just you, but rather the multiple folks in here who have taken this "anti-U-he-fans" stance, e.g. labelling us as sycophants, which I find baffling, and is why I originally inquired about it. You took it personally, though, ok; I was responding to you, but addressing a broader type of response throughout here. I thought that was clear, guess not.

I'm quite chill, thanks.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER
midi_transmission
KVRist

56 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Postby midi_transmission; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

Urs wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I just don't like that invasive, loud demo noise that sounds when I don't even play the demo.

I can't stand loud demo noises either. Which is why we just do a gentle vinyl-style crackle to remind you it's a demo, not a bug (as drop outs are often perceived).

@Urs: Your demo limitations are great. I like it also that you can save your work. Perfect to get a feeling even in a longer evaluation, but the crackle is annoying enough that people buy it.

You copy protection is awesome, no hassle for the paying customer. I really like that. When I'm between two products I would definitely buy the one with the less intrusive/annoying copy protection. I cant stand this online, sometimes even limited activations anymore from other products.
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 pm Re: any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

mholloway wrote:I'm quite chill, thanks.

Good. Because, frankly, this kind of BS talk is starting to bore me. Still dunno why you felt addressed by the sycophant cult member thing.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments