any new competitor to Diva for fat sounds?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't many conventional subtractive soft synth also use samples (forgot the specific name), like 2 or 3 samples per octave?

But creating each wave for every note from scratch seems much closer to the original analog hardware.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Don't many conventional subtractive soft synth also use samples (forgot the specific name), like 2 or 3 samples per octave?

But creating each wave for every note from scratch seems much closer to the original analog hardware.
I think you may be referring to single cycle waveforms. In a synth such as SynthMaster, in addition to the basic analog waveforms, many sampled single cycle waves from various instruments are also included. These can all be used as the starting point for the oscillator. You can get the more of the character of the original instrument this way. SM also lets you import your own waveforms.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Not sure, if I remember correctly, even Sylenth1 does it that way.

Urs wrote:
I think it's the clash between guys who think we're a flock of amateurs and guys who enjoy our stance on business as it is which creates a notion of haters and cult.
I think you are right. However, you really really shouldn't care a bit! Just ignore the negatives and those who are 'marketing' them in every thread! They have reasons for that hate ;)

KVR is becoming more and more negative place. IMO, your presence should only care about users/potential users who honestly want answers/comments by you, not those who are trolling in every thread related to specific synths! 'Haters' will only waste your time and energy.

So don't worry, be happy! Enjoy the great success of your synths especially Diva ;)

zzz00m wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
zzz00m wrote:I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Syntronik yet!
Yeah, there's a reason for that.
Haha, right! This topic is about getting fat sounds with a virtual instrument, not about the ultimate sound design tool.
No, OP specifically asked if there is a new instrument that is a "competitor" to Diva, and Syntronik isn't that, as Ingonator pointed out.
I'm willing to bet that your ears could not tell the difference between Diva and Syntronik in a blind listening test... :D
Ingonator addressed most issues, however, I will add that if you're convinced by the filters in Syntronik then you probably shouldn't be making recommendations here. Given correct parameters of the blind test I most certainly could tell the difference. How do you think that I test synths myself? I get that most people aren't that serious about thinking about their own biases but I do. I talk about that a lot on KVR and I've talked at length about how you can mitigate the effects in your own testing and evaluation.

The phrase "circuit modeled" means nothing, it's like organic with respect to food. I'm not at all impressed with the filters in Syntronik.

As a synth Syntronik falls exceedingly short of being a competitor to Diva. Insofar as samples are able to reproduce nice pads, well, that's a different argument, however, if you buy into it then certainly tools like Kontakt are going to be much better choices than Syntronik. To that end, I think that Halion might be the best choice right now if you want to create layered instruments with a combination of synth and sampled sounds without a lot of technical knowledge.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
No, OP specifically asked if there is a new instrument that is a "competitor" to Diva, and Syntronik isn't that, as Ingonator pointed out.
No disrespect intended, but Ingonator does not have any personal experience with Syntronik, so his opinions are based on hearsay, and assumptions based on crowd-think.
Ingonator addressed most issues, however, I will add that if you're convinced by the filters in Syntronik then you probably shouldn't be making recommendations here.
If you go back and read the OP's 2nd post where he clarified his needs, my recommendation fits 100%.
Thanks guys.I should be more specific. I'm not looking for a Mini emulation. I'm looking mostly for classic warm deep pads/string/bass sounds (detroit techno stuff/old deep house). I'm really into these Diva presets.

zzz00m wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
No disrespect intended, but Ingonator does not have any personal experience with Syntronik, so his opinions are based on hearsay, and assumptions based on crowd-think.
Nonsense. We've all used sample based products and it seems that you are unaware of their intrinsic limitations. I suggest that it's you who lack the experience here if you don't recognize that.

Ingonator's advice is on the mark here. Syntronik is a sample library with a very simple and, IMO, mediocre synth engine.
If you go back and read the OP's 2nd post where he clarified his needs, my recommendation fits 100%.
Thanks guys.I should be more specific. I'm not looking for a Mini emulation. I'm looking mostly for classic warm deep pads/string/bass sounds (detroit techno stuff/old deep house). I'm really into these Diva presets.
No, he's only talking about mini emulation, this in no way supports that he is interested in a sample based product as opposed to a full on synth.

If he is there are literally dozens of recommendations that one could make and are better value given that Syntronik is no longer available at the intro price.

Syntronik is forgettable, and that is its destiny in a few years time once the new shiny wears off.

If you're looking for competitors to Diva then one should focus their attention to developers with a track record of pushing technology boundaries in synthesizers, IK is not that.

While we're on the subject of the OP's wishes however, given that he's interested in detroit techno, NI's Kontour is an absolutely lovely synth for that. Moreover, the way that the modulation system is built it's fantastic for dynamic and animated sounds.

It's also a great example of pushing technology in synths but also a synth where the main subtractive filters aren't dominant, which is good, because they're pretty mediocre. Not that it matters much, it's Reaktor, you can replace them if you want. It's not, of course, a competitor for Diva though.

ghettosynth wrote:I talk about that a lot on KVR and I've talked at length about how you can mitigate the effects in your own testing and evaluation.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny on so many levels.

1wob2many wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I talk about that a lot on KVR and I've talked at length about how you can mitigate the effects in your own testing and evaluation.

Funny on so many levels.
Yup!!! :dog: :dog: :dog:

1wob2many wrote:

Funny on so many levels.
Only if you're butthurt about being wrong and looking for any reason to laugh. Otherwise, it's simply a statement of fact. Clearly I'm not talking about double blind testing which can't effectively be done alone. However, I have talked quite a bit about how one can mitigate their own bias perception with self imposed blind testing. You do need to understand that blind tests and double blind tests aren't the same thing though. You also need to understand what "mitigate" means.

ghettosynth wrote:
1wob2many wrote:

Funny on so many levels.
Only if you're butthurt about being wrong and looking for any reason to laugh. Otherwise, it's simply a statement of fact. Clearly I'm not talking about double blind testing which can't effectively be done alone. However, I have talked quite a bit about how one can mitigate their own bias perception with self imposed blind testing. You do need to understand that blind tests and double blind tests aren't the same thing though. You also need to understand what "mitigate" means.
Poser!!!

I'm butthurt and wrong and your wonderful and right of course. :tu:

But has it ever occurred to you, ever, that you may be talking down to somebody with a greater knowledge of a subject than you? :wink:

1wob2many wrote:I'm butthurt..
That's my impression from your other failed attempts to justify your position.
But has it ever occurred to you, ever, that you may be talking down to somebody with a greater knowledge of the subject than you? :wink:
Then by all means, say something intelligent about the subject.

I'm waiting...

Are you asserting that one cannot mitigate their own biases? What exactly do you find so funny in my statement? Of course, there is the irony that you are criticizing me for "talking down" when your only response was smug laughter.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:Then by all means, say something intelligent about the subject.
You go first.

Return to “Instruments”