Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
surreal
KVRist

493 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Postby surreal; Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 pm Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

Hi Everyone!!

Can anyone recommend me synths.. both free and commercial that has a great sound utilizing at least a State Variable Filter?

Many Thanks in advance
jancivil
KVRAF

12536 posts since 20 Oct, 2007, from No Location

Postby jancivil; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

NI Kontour uses a State Variable Filter. It's a very good synth. Not that easy to work with, at least for me, but super-powerful.
fmr
KVRAF

5959 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

surreal wrote:Hi Everyone!!

Can anyone recommend me synths.. both free and commercial that has a great sound utilizing at least a State Variable Filter?

Many Thanks in advance

If you mean software, you can get OB-Xd. It's free
Fernando (FMR)
chk071
KVRAF

12925 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:55 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

TAL-Noisemaker has some SV zero delay feedback filters.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
justin3am
KVRAF

10061 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

Are you looking for a synth which actually models SVF topology or something that has LPF, HPF, BPF modes?
Diva's Uhbie filter is probably a good example of a modeled SVF.
If you are looking for a synth with a filter which can crossfade between LPF>Notch/BPF>HPF, Madrona Labs Aalto and anything that emulates and SEM should do it.
db3
KVRian

1410 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Postby db3; Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

Arturia SEM V
-dthree-
Ingonator
KVRAF

11336 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

For example OB-XD (free), Arturia SEM V2 and the Uhbie filter in U-He Diva.

In both SEM V2 and the Uhbie filter the filter modes are morphable like in a real SEM.
While in the SEM and Arturia SEM V2 the BPF mode is separated from the morphing in the Uhbie filter you could switch between Notch or the BPF inlcuded in morphing. You could get LPF->BPF->HPF and LPF->Notch/BR->HPF morphing there.
Ingo Weidner - Sound Design
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 2
surreal
KVRist

493 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Postby surreal; Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:59 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

Thank you everyome for your inputs and replies! Much appreciated!
zzz00m
KVRist

317 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

SynthMaster 2.8 has a SVF filter with LP, HP, BP, BS, and Multi types. SynthMaster One has pretty much the same as well, except for the Multi.

"State Variable filter is modeled after analog state
variable filters found in synths like the SEM. It is a
zero delay feedback filter and is available in 5
types: Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass, Bandstop
and Multimode. When filter type is set to multimode,
Mode parameter changes the type of the filter from
Lowpass to Bandstop (Notch) to Highpass.
Acid: When this button is pressed, the filter
resonance is coupled to the cutoff frequency: When
cutoff decreases the resonance decreases as well.
This gives a nice TB303 style “Acid” filter response!"
Windows 10 x64, Intel i3 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, SSD drive, M-Audio FW-410 with ASIO driver
zzz00m
KVRist

Postby zzz00m; Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

chk071 wrote:TAL-Noisemaker has some SV zero delay feedback filters.

TAL-Noisemaker is a surprisingly good sounding synth! :tu:
Windows 10 x64, Intel i3 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, SSD drive, M-Audio FW-410 with ASIO driver
zzz00m
KVRist

Postby zzz00m; Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:05 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

Ingonator wrote:For example OB-XD (free), Arturia SEM V2 and the Uhbie filter in U-He Diva.

In both SEM V2 and the Uhbie filter the filter modes are morphable like in a real SEM.
While in the SEM and Arturia SEM V2 the BPF mode is separated from the morphing in the Uhbie filter you could switch between Notch or the BPF inlcuded in morphing. You could get LPF->BPF->HPF and LPF->Notch/BR->HPF morphing there.

OB-Xd is probably one of my favorite synths! Love that Oberheim sound! :tu:
chk071
KVRAF

12925 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:07 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

zzz00m wrote:

Indeed. :) Only small niggle i have with it is that the envelopes aren't exactly fast, but, i guess that's down to them not being overly fast in the synth it loosely models too (AFAIK, some Roland model, probably the Juno-60).

Oh, and the 6 voice polyphony isn't that great either.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRist

83 posts since 21 Apr, 2017

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

chk071 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:

Indeed. :) Only small niggle i have with it is that the envelopes aren't exactly fast, but, i guess that's down to them not being overly fast in the synth it loosely models too (AFAIK, some Roland model, probably the Juno-60).

Wow! The fast envelopes are what I really liked about it. Actually I use em to guage everhthing else.

Also the new Fathom synth has a SV filter amongst its arsenal
https://www.fathomsynth.com
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRist

83 posts since 21 Apr, 2017

Postby Scrubbing Monkeys; Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

chk071 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:

Wow! The fast envelopes are what I really liked about it. Actually I use em to guage everhthing else.

Also the new Fathom synth has a SV filter amongst its arsenal
https://www.fathomsynth.com
generaldiomedes
KVRist

110 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 pm Re: Good Synths with a State Variable Filter recommendations?

I also noticed hy-filter 2 effects vst has a state variable filter.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments