Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Taron
KVRAF

1813 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:51 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Here's my "sketch", which I'm sharing now already, because I don't know, if I want to find the time to make more of it. Could be good fun, though. It's a very strange experience for me...

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-arcangel

Once I declare this thing done, I will add the specs for the song, which are pretty brief anyway, but still... laterz! ;)
TrojakEW
KVRist

109 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Slovakia

Postby TrojakEW; Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Taron wrote:Here's my "sketch"

Holly s**t! I was waiting for your entry and all can I say is HOLLY :clap:. Looks like there are people that can make fart sounds beautiful :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'm on hold now with my track since I dont know what to do with this "auto fadein note bug" on my machine. :x Looks like some combination in presets cause this problem. But when I dont use them this thing sounds like something like :shock:
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:54 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Awww, cheers, Trojak! :hug:
I like "Holly", that sounds far more excited than "Holy"! 8) ...hope you don't mind me pointing that out?! :oops:
But, yeah, uhm, noisetar really isn't meant for music, BUT that teaches me something very interesting about "Letting Go", really. No two notes really play the same, as far as I can tell, making it futile to try and force it into doing that. It just won't. So... I let go, let it have it, play the drums how ever it wants to play them, play all of the sounds how ever it wants to and then...meh...it's like making a suggestion and hoping for the best. :shrug: :)

UH, OH, almost forgot: My working title for this has actually been: "unholy"! :o

I mean, I can't even tell whether you are really having a bug or simply expect it to do something it can't?! :shrug:
I know you are a meticulous percussion craftsman, brilliant and very deliberate. You must abandon those notions with noisetar, trust me! :lol:

But, yeah, I hope it somehow gets to work for you, because I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you'll have done! :hyper:

By the way, I also thought Peter's atmosphere is pretty bad ass! Very cool! 8) :tu:
TrojakEW
KVRist

109 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Slovakia

Postby TrojakEW; Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Hehe I do not want to be vulgar hence Holly :lol: .

Well for percussion I think a made some moderate sounds but as I said I have weird problem that it need to somehow push this synth instance in order to start playing. So imagine one beat with 4 note but only 2 or 1 you can hear at start. Same patern right after play normally. When pattern stops and it play later (pause between), few notes are missing randomly again. I can't even put anything together because notes are droped randomly in any patern :scared: .
] Peter:H [
KVRist

169 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

[Off Topic] As we have a "track record" in alpha testing weird stuff in OSC, I suggest we go for https://vcvrack.com/ in one of the next challenges. At least it looks like a normal modular synth, but it is fresh from the press and will sure have a lot of problems (I mean for those of you who are keen bug hunters).
But...as I know the preferences...we could also go for another round of fullbucket https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fb-310 ... cket-music
Frostline
KVRist

155 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Taron wrote:. No two notes really play the same, as far as I can tell, making it futile to try and force it into doing that. It just won't. So... I let go, let it have it, play the drums how ever it wants to play them, play all of the sounds how ever it wants to and then...meh...it's like making a suggestion and hoping for the best. :shrug: :)

Ah, glad to see it is not just me.
Oddly enough I kinda like this synth. :wheee:
The somewhat random nature of the thing makes it quite frustrating when it does something interesting that I want to keep, but it happens randomly per render. It also tends to randomly decide to not do something it has done just fine up until the last render. :dog:
For the last two days I have been listening to a render that I am 90%+ happy with, but two little things suddenly appeared. But if I try to fix them I am 100% certain the parts I am very satisfied with are going to change (and be worse for it) if I render the project again.

So just for personal clarity on the rules: we are not allowed to blend two (or more) renders together for a final mix, correct?
And it against the rules to keep freezing a track until it does what I want consistently?
I see how it could be considered borderline sampling so I understand if it is not allowed, but I just want to make sure I am understanding the rules correctly.

Also, just to add my 2p on a recent issue. And to be crystal clear that the following has nothing to do with the person quoted above. Nothing but respect for Taron here :tu:
If a person does not want to bother with posting a track to the proper place, nor bother listing fx count etc I don't see why other contestants should need to bother with listening to it or voting on it. An unwillingness to follow simple guidelines is very disrespectful to the other contestants that do (or at least try to) follow the rules. The attitude of "here is my track somewhere on the internet, use it for your little contest if you like but I can't be bothered to post it properly" is just flat out rude. Again just my 2p.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

UH, what perfect timing, Frostline! :hyper: ...though, I know, you didn't mean me. I already said that I will post specs when I'm done with it. AND GUESS WHAT: I'm done! 8)

I just couldn't help myself and play around with it a little more. I'm really quite happy with it, as unusual as it is for my sort of stuff, but well...I'm really enjoying it!

To all those, who have already listened to it, make sure you reload the page, if your on SC!

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-arcangel

OSC#103: NuSofting's Noisetar
"Arc Angel"
Noisetar #: 17
DAW: MuLab (http://www.mutools.com)
DAW-FX: 2 Band EQ, 4 Band EQ, Parameteric EQ, Vintage Echo 2, PingPongBeat, cross_delay, Amp.Distortion, Level Compressor, Mid-Side Processor
3rd Party FX: Abstract Chamber, LoudMax64, OTT, Nova-67P, Auburn Sounds Panagement, Boogex
Carl_saved
KVRist

60 posts since 17 May, 2013

Postby Carl_saved; Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:58 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

@Frostline: If you asked me, I'd say no blending, but freezing single tracks until they do what you want is fine.
Reason: If you froze tracks until they do what you want, you could alternatively keep rendering the whole thing until everything does what you want - only it would take you a million years to get it. But IN PRINCIPLE, you could get the same result by rendering the whole thing, only the probability is astonishingly small.
Any other suggestions on that?
doctorbob
KVRian

786 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

@Carl/@Frostline - My system started to not cope running all the 78 tracks direct from Midi to Noisetar plus FX. So, I froze all the tracks with VSTi on them (track count to 119!) and mixed the pure audio. To be honest, the only problem was some glitching (machine not coping - Reaper RT going over 100%!).

So, that said ........... after lots of work - solo added - sounds re-engineered - here's the result. Hope you all like it ...

DAW: Reaper

Track details:
36 * Noisetar
15 * ReaEQ
6 * Twin Delay
1 * TDR Kotelnikov
1 * Classic Maaster Limiter
7* midiPolyphony
5 * TAL Reverb 4
1 * Pecheneg Tremolo
1 * JS Multiwaveshaper
5 * JS MidiNoteFilter
1 * JS Bass Manager/Booster
1 * EpicVerb

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
TDR Kotelnikov
Limiter No. 6

DR: 13!!!

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/noyz
Last edited by doctorbob on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
generaldiomedes
KVRist

128 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

doctorbob wrote:So, that said ........... after lots of work - solo added - sounds re-engineered - here's the result. Hope you all like it ...

Some beautiful work there, doctorbob. I am almost reminded of tangerine dream's work on Legend at times.
Frostline
KVRist

155 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

@Carl, appreciate the answer. I decided I didn't want to risk making it worse after two more weeks of fiddling with it.
I still may change it, but it is doubtful.

https://soundcloud.com/user-975888547/f ... ats-osc103

19 tracks, 65 total FX
12@Noisetar
11@JS:NP1136 Peak Limiter
8@ReaEQ
4@ReaVerb, PureGain
3@ReaComp
2@ToneSlant, A1TriggerGate, ReaXcomp
1@SPAN, JS:Goniometer, JS:Oscilloscope and Signalizer - Monitoring chain
1@Nova67P, TDR Nova, PurestEcho, LoudMax64, GMonoBass, MJUCjr, Leet Delay 2, BlueArp, midiForceToKey, Distance, S.LA.X.,Transpire and Tube Saturator Vintage.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
ilmai
KVRist

82 posts since 25 Aug, 2016, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby ilmai; Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Ok I'm officially giving up, failing to get any usable sounds out of this except for some passable percussion and the stolen bass preset. Here's my short mood piece entry.

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/were-going-to-die-right

DAW: Bitwig 2.1.3
8x Noisetar

Bitwig effects used:
1x Transient Control

VST effects used:
1x Klanghelm MJUCjr
1x Sonic Anomaly Unlimited
1x Youlean Loudness Meter
doctorbob
KVRian

786 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:22 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

generaldiomedes wrote:Some beautiful work there, doctorbob. I am almost reminded of tangerine dream's work on Legend at times.
Thanks a lot. Saw TD in the catherdral in York (the Minster) in the early 70's - awesome stuff - Ricochet time! Was very odd to have a church minister stand up in the pulpit and announce "ladies and gentlemen, Tangerine Dream". Needless to say, it was wonderful, and quite an amazing sight to see all the Moog equipment stacked high in the environment of an amazing building. Reverb times around 16 seconds - which they exploited very well indeed!

Glad you liked my effort. Lots going on if you listen carefully - it's quite good to listen quietly - just don't fall asleep!

dB
Local Man
KVRist

30 posts since 30 May, 2017

Postby Local Man; Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

Hello All. This is my second time trying this contest out. I appreciate all of the valuable criticism I received last time but I apologize if I did not respond to everyone's comments (my second child was born the month of the competition so time was tight!).
Anyway, this time I figured I would post a work in progress in hopes of getting feedback while I am still working things out. Anyway here is what I have so far:
https://soundcloud.com/user-44872685/al ... ppened-yet
I must admit I have not had the easiest time working out a full song with this synth (which I really do love for what it is though). But if you have the time I would really appreciate any feedback on what I have so far. Thanks in advance!
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 am Re: One Synth Challenge #103 - Noisetar by NUSofting (PC/MAC) (New Prize: Any one Sonimus Plugin!)

I'd start off with "CONGRATULATIONS", Local Daddy! :clap: :party: :cry: <Baby
You've made a properly complete arrangement with Noisetar, which already is a considerable accomplishment. I enjoy it musically almost entirely, except at 2:24, where you went with the lead "flute" for the Dorian 7th (2 halftones below tonic) rather than Ionian (1 halftone below tonic), which would've given it a little more spirit, if you asked me...kinda yanked on my senses a little and went against the sensibility of the sound itself somehow. For sure, it's a matter of taste, because it's not "wrong", just...a little "meh" to me. The rest, however, is very, very nice. Oh, maybe the "choo choo train" noise (to the left) went on a bit long without sounding sophisticated, sort of pulling down the sense of quality you otherwise establish so nicely. I would either fade it away before 2:38 to give your "grand finale" the proper space and distinction.

This is my reaction after a first listen. Hope it makes sense and inspires you a little?! Great to have you in the OSC gang, that's for sure!
AND congrats again on the second one! ;)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments