Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Synth for Kpop?

jacqueslacouth
KVRian

715 posts since 17 Nov, 2004

Postby jacqueslacouth; Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

As a father of twin 16 year old Koreaboo girls, let me assure you, it is nothing to do with the synths that are played. It is all about pretty Korean boys (or girls) who can sing a bit, can dance the hell out of anything and are happy to sign their lives to any one of the corporations who own their sorry arses for bugger all money until the day they die.

That said, as pointed out above, K-pop is very generic pop music, heavily produced and (at least from my perspective) completely lacking in any distinctive character, within the genre and between the bands. You could pretty much achieve the basic sound with any basic set of VSTi's as long as you have the songwriting ability (while very generic and formulaic, it is highly professional) and the singers. Of course, it is a very different animal from the western music scene in regards to being able to crack the scene, it is just not something that happens unless you are able to get the job with SM entertainment or JYP or similar. You will then move into your corporate apartment, be given a small allowance and sign an agreement not to become involved in a relationship....It's really quite a horrible existence.
4damind
KVRAF

4573 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:44 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

I don't see a special synth here.. it's more the arrangement. Often it remembers me a bit to Funk in combination with some oldschool ideas.
It's not so much a typical synth sound.. more a brass", a piano or some (Hammond) organ type of sound or some kind of "trumpet" sound. So this a typical thing for some of this libraries with this instruments.
(a good start could be the Kontakt factory library)

The other typical "K-Pop" (I have this "girly" K-Pop band in my mind) is more this "funny" and "bonbon" and a bit "childish" style. But this is not the style you are looking for.
Niklashe
KVRist

67 posts since 27 Jul, 2006

Postby Niklashe; Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

Take a look at Vengeance Avenger! Can´t go wrong with that one for this kind of music. Still 20 % of right now?
leesango
KVRer

13 posts since 6 Sep, 2017

Postby leesango; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:16 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

jacqueslacouth wrote:As a father of twin 16 year old Koreaboo girls, let me assure you, it is nothing to do with the synths that are played. It is all about pretty Korean boys (or girls) who can sing a bit, can dance the hell out of anything and are happy to sign their lives to any one of the corporations who own their sorry arses for bugger all money until the day they die.

That said, as pointed out above, K-pop is very generic pop music, heavily produced and (at least from my perspective) completely lacking in any distinctive character, within the genre and between the bands. You could pretty much achieve the basic sound with any basic set of VSTi's as long as you have the songwriting ability (while very generic and formulaic, it is highly professional) and the singers. Of course, it is a very different animal from the western music scene in regards to being able to crack the scene, it is just not something that happens unless you are able to get the job with SM entertainment or JYP or similar. You will then move into your corporate apartment, be given a small allowance and sign an agreement not to become involved in a relationship....It's really quite a horrible existence.

Man, speaking the business side of things... K-pop artists under the big companies like SM or JYP as you mentioned have little to no freedom with personal life IIRC. In recent years, independent labels have grown, in conjuction with the popularity of the K-hiphop. The songs I posted (youtube links) are actually artists who played a big role in establishing these independent labels. Lot of the SM or JYP songs seem EDM-type tracks, and I'm not after those kind, so much.
leesango
KVRer

Postby leesango; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:18 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

4damind wrote:I don't see a special synth here.. it's more the arrangement. Often it remembers me a bit to Funk in combination with some oldschool ideas.
It's not so much a typical synth sound.. more a brass", a piano or some (Hammond) organ type of sound or some kind of "trumpet" sound. So this a typical thing for some of this libraries with this instruments.

The other typical "K-Pop" (I have this "girly" K-Pop band in my mind) is more this "funny" and "bonbon" and a bit "childish" style. But this is not the style you are looking for.

Yeah, after reading all the previous posts, I guess it's quite typical. At the end of the day, I'd still need that 'whatever synth' to go with, and I'm trying to pick between Sylenth1 or Hive, which are well-known for fast workflow for acheiving good sounds. I guess this direction is where I should start, really. :wink:
leesango
KVRer

Postby leesango; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

Niklashe wrote:Take a look at Vengeance Avenger! Can´t go wrong with that one for this kind of music. Still 20 % of right now?

That's interesting. At least a lot of the presets sound like the ones that are used in the linked songs.. Kinda makes me wanna consider this as well, only to find out that my choices are getting broader lol..
wagtunes
KVRAF

9157 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:24 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

leesango wrote:
4damind wrote:I don't see a special synth here.. it's more the arrangement. Often it remembers me a bit to Funk in combination with some oldschool ideas.

Yeah, after reading all the previous posts, I guess it's quite typical. At the end of the day, I'd still need that 'whatever synth' to go with, and I'm trying to pick between Sylenth1 or Hive, which are well-known for fast workflow for acheiving good sounds. I guess this direction is where I should start, really. :wink:

Want to make this really easy on yourself? See if you can get a hold of one of the liner notes for one of the albums you posted and take a look at what synths were used and buy one of them. If they're all hardware, buy the best emulation of that synth that you can find.

That's what I'd do if I were in your place and wanted to at least be in the same ball park with these guys.
4damind
KVRAF

Postby 4damind; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

leesango wrote:Yeah, after reading all the previous posts, I guess it's quite typical. At the end of the day, I'd still need that 'whatever synth' to go with, and I'm trying to pick between Sylenth1 or Hive, which are well-known for fast workflow for acheiving good sounds. I guess this direction is where I should start, really. :wink:

Yes a good VA synth like Sylenth is always a good synth to start with. It doesn't sound for me that it needs a synth with many modulation capabilities or very special programmed sounds.
I don't know which platform this K-Pop producers are typical using, but I would not be surprised if they using a lot of the in the DAW included synth.
leesango
KVRer

Postby leesango; Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:36 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

4damind wrote:
leesango wrote:Yeah, after reading all the previous posts, I guess it's quite typical. At the end of the day, I'd still need that 'whatever synth' to go with, and I'm trying to pick between Sylenth1 or Hive, which are well-known for fast workflow for acheiving good sounds. I guess this direction is where I should start, really. :wink:

Yes a good VA synth like Sylenth is always a good synth to start with. It doesn't sound for me that it needs a synth with many modulation capabilities or very special programmed sounds.
I don't know which platform this K-Pop producers are typical using, but I would not be surprised if they using a lot of the in the DAW included synth.

Would you recommend Sylenth over Hive by any means of preference?
Zexila
KVRAF

2016 posts since 17 Mar, 2008

Postby Zexila; Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

leesango wrote:I've taken a decent amount of time. I'm currently trying to decide between Sylenth1 or Hive. I decided to stick to Halion Sonic SE for preset machine for now, just need a one-shot go for synth between the two. Plz help :)

You can't go wrong with either of them, maybe Sylenth is safest bet being "industry standard" with zilion presets and coverage. Also you can rent-to-own Sylenth.
Gearslutz is simply a far more expensive version of people arguing about nonsense. Incubus
4damind
KVRAF

Postby 4damind; Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

leesango wrote:Would you recommend Sylenth over Hive by any means of preference?

Yes, I prefer and recommend Sylenth over Hive. It's for many producers the standard VA synth for some good reasons (if it doesn't need more complex sounds or modulation capabilities).
Kinh
KVRian

853 posts since 25 Aug, 2012

Postby Kinh; Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

jacqueslacouth wrote:As a father of twin 16 year old Koreaboo girls, let me assure you, it is nothing to do with the synths that are played. It is all about pretty Korean boys (or girls) who can sing a bit, can dance the hell out of anything and are happy to sign their lives to any one of the corporations who own their sorry arses for bugger all money until the day they die.

:hyper:
jacqueslacouth
KVRian

715 posts since 17 Nov, 2004

Postby jacqueslacouth; Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:41 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

Kinh wrote:

Mate, you just simply have no clue.

No, No I don't. I freely admit this. I actually don't have any idea about anything and I'm ok with that. I do however, have this compulsion to share every level of my ignorance about absolutely EVERYTHING (not actually kidding) with the entire internet. I humbly apologise (as I do a lot) for any affront caused by my moronic contribution...I'll go kill myself now....again! :D

And just to support this level of stupidity, can I humbly ask you not to call me mate. Funnily, living in Australia, I have found myself at odds with the entire population in my view that the use of the word "mate" has become one of the most chronically used passive aggressive terms in the English language and its use causes me much angst. :oops:
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

Would you be ok with "buddy", or "lad" then? Otherwise, "dawg", "homie", or "homeboy" could also be offered. But only if you've proven your street credibility.
Vortifex
KVRist

480 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 am Re: Synth for Kpop?

acYm wrote:
Vortifex wrote:In what way? Not saying you're wrong, but that's a quite a claim.

they're actually trying to make something good, putting a lot of effort into it. in the US, a song like katy perry's dark horse is considered a masterpiece of modern pop... yet it's quite shit. compare that to the latest Hyuna track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xndFqGJ4k

which is pretty much kpop's lowest common denominator, it's still just vastly superior musically.
over there your success won't depend on whether your label paid the radio station execs on time. the stuff needs to be legit.

lol, now this dumb track is growing on me... well, not her worst one actually!

Specifically in which way(s) is it better produced?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments